[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Second Year Law Student Looking For Summer Internship  (Read 4994 times)

FrontRowWarrior

Second Year Law Student Looking For Summer Internship
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:11:14 PM »
I am a second year law student at Capital University Law School in Columbus, OH. I Graduated from Marquette in 2009. I'm Looking for a summer internship, and figured I might as well see if anyone on scoop has any thoughts.

Law Review Staff Member, Dean's List 3 semesters, Top 10% of class.

I'm not even necessarily looking for a paid position, just something that will give me some experience and an opportunity to network with lawyers in the Milwaukee area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know and I can send you my resume.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:36:10 PM by FrontRowWarrior »

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
Re: Second Year Law Student Looking For Summer Internship
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:17:48 PM »
Pro Tip: When sending out feelers for a job or internship, spell things correctly and use correct grammar.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 10:22:20 AM »
I have a position that just opened up actually.

How proficient are you at making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 06:07:16 AM »
Pro Tip: When sending out feelers for a job or internship, spell things correctly and use correct grammar.
probably missed that class as ambulance chasing 101 was eing offered at the same time

Mustang

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 07:57:30 PM »
Wow, you guys are harsh. Give the kid a chance, he is just checking with some basketball fans not a formal job interview. Unfortunately I have nothing to do with the legal profession... sorry!

JMcSteal

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 08:02:03 PM »
wow, didn't realize everyone on this board was a english major, my goodness

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 08:14:28 PM »
Wow!  I didn't realize that everyone on this board was an English major.  My goodness.

Fixed.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 01:41:13 PM »

this is a laid back site, come-on.  give the guy a break.  no jacket required here.  this is where you can pull up a chair, sit in your undies with a cup of joe spillin all over, scratchin my boys, fartin and belchin and not capitalising anything, just ramblin on.  now that's what the superbar is

leever

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 02:20:56 PM »
this is a laid back site, come-on.  give the guy a break.  no jacket required here.  this is where you can pull up a chair, sit in your undies with a cup of joe spillin all over, scratchin my boys, fartin and belchin and not capitalising anything, just ramblin on.  now that's what the superbar is

He was just giving him some advice to use a "more traditional" approach.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 02:31:38 PM »

He asked for help...which was the point of my post...

He went back and revised it. If I'm a hiring manager at a law firm and I saw the original post asking for leads, the first thing I'd note is mispellings and incorrect grammar - while it wouldn't disqualify someone from a position, it would definitely knock them down a few notches...

Bling

• Starter
  • Bling
    • North Shore Dental
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 02:38:55 PM »

He went back and revised it. If I'm a hiring manager at a law firm and I saw the original post asking for leads, the first thing I'd note is mispellings and incorrect grammar - while it wouldn't disqualify someone from a position, it would definitely knock them down a few notches...

get over youself dude

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 03:26:07 PM »
frontrow has a funny way of thanking us keep his/her post alive.  he must be inundated with calls about that internship; no time for us anymore

reinko

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 03:41:01 PM »

+1  This may be the interwebs, but if you try to conduct real world business, you better represent yourself in a real world manner.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 03:18:18 PM »
I am a second year law student at Capital University Law School in Columbus, OH. I Graduated from Marquette in 2009. I'm Looking for a summer internship, and figured I might as well see if anyone on scoop has any thoughts.

Law Review Staff Member, Dean's List 3 semesters, Top 10% of class.

I'm not even necessarily looking for a paid position, just something that will give me some experience and an opportunity to network with lawyers in the Milwaukee area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know and I can send you my resume.

As the posts you have gotten center on your typing and grammar, it is possible you don't beleive you have gotten any assistance.

I recruited into law jobs, in the very early 80s, when we were wined and dined by big firms, and opportunities were many. I realize the world has changed dramatically. Some points remain constant, however.

Look for jobs that offer experience, and mentoring. You are learning a trade---seek out journeymen and masters. In the early years be willing to put in more hours than all your peers. Work weekends, and friday nights. Put work before your social life. Watch what skilled attorneys do(especially opposing attorneys), and learn the nuances, of good lawyering. Respectfully, ask questions, and avoid showing off the limited knowledge you have. Entry level work is likely in an area motivated by the economy (bankrupcty, IT, etc.), so you may end up in areas of work you didnt plan for, but, with strong focus, you can segway later to practice areas of your choosing. Put the client, and their success, before your billing, and in the long run clients will chase you, and you'll spend less time chasing new clients (nothing sadder than a fifty year old lawyer still having to chase up new clients-lol). Keep in touch with young execs your age, as later on, theyll be running things. Treat all clerks, and govt bureacrats with total respect and defference-- they can be the difference in getting your work processed. Judges note those that treat their personnel with dismissiveness. Never fight with a client over a fee...be ready to walk way. If you've earned it, most clients will be happy to pay. The test of every good lawyer is that he does it to help people...if thats your focus(total service orientation) the rest, including the money, will take care of itself. Never risk your license to help a client avoid the law or walk too close to its edge, with your help. You worked too hard for the license to lose it for any one crooked client. Your law school friends may well be some of the closest contacts you'll have during your career--keep in touch with your law review friends. Dont be afraid to move jobs from years 1 to 4, but stay steady from years 4-12, by which time you should have an established client stable, or specialty known to others in the business. Never hide a mistake, calender everything, and return all calls, and emails every day.  Good Luck!!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 03:35:43 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 03:29:47 PM »
Or save yourself the trouble and just put a bullet in your head.

Just sayin'... as a former law student  ;D

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 04:14:33 PM »
Most liberals drop out of law school
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 04:23:47 PM »
And most tea partiers are white dudes in their 30's that make hip hop mix tapes.

Edited for grammar, because tea partiers fight about grammar rather than subsistence.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:40:41 PM by reinko »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 04:26:36 PM »
Most liberals drop out of law school

I'd say its more of a case by case basis.  :P

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 05:02:34 PM »
And most tea partiers are white dudes in their 30's that make hip hop mix tapes.

Edited for grammar, because tea partiers fight about grammar rather than subsistence.

You sure that's what you meant?

Anyway, does this guy still need a job?  I might need a little help around the house this summer.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 06:57:25 PM »
Maybe he can peddle those UnderArmour boil and bite mouthguards?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback