'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More games at the Al  (Read 17463 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: More games at the Al
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2018, 08:41:11 AM »
Of course not.  I am with Ma & Pa Scoop though...there are many projects I personally would try to convince the donor to support based on their merits. 

If you cant convince them then you do the singular thing they feel is important (as long as the University agrees that it furthers their mission).

Understand the opinion and don't disagree with Chick and others to a degree.  There are higher priorities, but do think it would help the university.  That's the reason for my hypothetical, are folks against it no matter what, or are they against it only if it means dollars coming out of university coffers.

Where to put it?  I don't think that's a huge issue.  Buildings are meant to be torn down.  University Arizona has a football stadium with a dorm attached to it.  There's a way of doing this to bring in housing and building in a nice footprint.  10,001 capacity sold out for every game. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2018, 08:42:06 AM »
Do I recall hearing something about them getting rid of the Rec Center?  Is there something already slated for that space?  Would that be a large enough footprint?  It's certainly bigger than the Al.  And perhaps they could encroach across 17th Street.

For the record, I'm generally not in favor or the on-campus arena, but I thought that the "where would it go" question was interesting.

The factual answers to your questions are yes and yes and who knows because the space is spoken for.   :)

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2018, 08:44:36 AM »
Just sell stocks and add on to the AL.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2018, 08:44:39 AM »
The factual answers to your questions are yes and yes and who knows because the space is spoken for.   :)

Actually, just looked at the Master Plan slide show.  I do recall hearing about the "innovation alley" before.  Much, much more important than an on-campus arena.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2018, 08:46:06 AM »
You keep saying that, but haven't presented any evidence to back it up.

Why am I against the idea? Let me make it simple.

Complete. Waste. Of. Money.

Take a look at the the long term plan for campus. There are at least a half dozen new buildings proposed, none of which are arenas. If there was enough serious interest interest among donors to build an arena, and it was anywhere close to economically feasible, there would at least be rumors floating around  in Zilber. To my knowledge, there are none.

Believe me when I tell you that as far as the university is concerned, the on-campus arena idea goes into the same pile as bringing back varsity football.

If no varsity football, maybe the Marquette University Arena Football team can play in the Benny B Thunderdome on Rickey's On State Field?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2018, 08:47:01 AM »

Knock down McCormick, the AMU.  Build arena and union combination.   ;)

Honestly, building footprint and space not really an issue with enough money and creativity.   I give all of this a 1% chance of happening in the next 10 years.  Beyond that the % goes up depending on what happens in college sports landscape.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2018, 08:47:28 AM »
Do I recall hearing something about them getting rid of the Rec Center?  Is there something already slated for that space?  Would that be a large enough footprint?  It's certainly bigger than the Al.  And perhaps they could encroach across 17th Street.

For the record, I'm generally not in favor or the on-campus arena, but I thought that the "where would it go" question was interesting.
Based off information I was told from an University Employee, albeit this info is about 18 months so could very well be out of date, the long term plan was to put a research facility in that location.  They were still in fundraising phase and were really pushing how successful Engineering Hall has been since it opened.  There was also a plan to have a skywalk connecting to the old gym, which would be converted to have more of a convention center feel, although that was also probably just thrown in in an attempt to try to get more money.  Take it for what its worth, plans could have very well changed since then.   
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2018, 08:49:55 AM »
Marquette has an endowment just over $500 million.    Marquette already has several capital intensive building projects in the hopper.   A brand new arena is being built a 10 minute walk away.      With all of the other needs on campus, the need for a new arena is way down the list.    If/when MU has an endowment of $1.5 billion and the administrators of the new arena start treating MU even more poorly, revisit it.     Right now, a 10k seat on-campus arena is not a practical option. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2018, 08:50:29 AM »
Understand the opinion and don't disagree with Chick and others to a degree.  There are higher priorities, but do think it would help the university.  That's the reason for my hypothetical, are folks against it no matter what, or are they against it only if it means dollars coming out of university coffers.

I am 'against it' because of priorities and MU can fill the Chalup-arena if they start winning some home games again.  It was the same with the BC.  We don't need to cut attendance to have a good atmosphere - that was proven in the late Crean and Buzz era.  Sell-out's no matta if you build your season tix base above 10K.

Now if we believe we won't be back at that level or our new conference isn't the draw of the Big East of that vintage.  Downsize away.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2018, 08:52:48 AM »

That costs money to use, has MU down the pecking order in terms of usage and is too big.   By no means am I saying it's not a great place to play, but in a hypothetical world where the university doesn't have to pay for it because Mrs. Donor covers the complete nut, would you be against something the university owns and could be a centerpiece to other options for the university (hotel, retail, etc)?

It seems no one here is suggesting playing where the Bucks play is a bad thing, but if a better thing was available are some of you still against it IF the money was not coming from the university?

Is it really? My senior year was '09, and we were routinely filling the BC to the gills in conference play.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2018, 08:53:36 AM »

Sticking it right by the interchange would give MU the best visibility/advertising spot in the entire state.  Plus, as Dr. B pointed out, you could potentially have the entertainment corridor from the MU arena to the convention center to the Bucks arena.  I don't think they should do it, but if they do, that spot makes the most sense.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2018, 08:54:23 AM »
Where would it realistically go? In case you all are forgetting we're an urban campus and it's not easy to just buy the houses that upper class men live in when we're surrounded by rough neighborhoods not friendly to college students.

Gentrification!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2018, 08:54:31 AM »
There are other ways to fund and build an arena than via MU's endowment...

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2018, 09:06:12 AM »
Based off information I was told from an University Employee, albeit this info is about 18 months so could very well be out of date, the long term plan was to put a research facility in that location.  They were still in fundraising phase and were really pushing how successful Engineering Hall has been since it opened.  There was also a plan to have a skywalk connecting to the old gym, which would be converted to have more of a convention center feel, although that was also probably just thrown in in an attempt to try to get more money.  Take it for what its worth, plans could have very well changed since then.   

:)

Here's the fun one that I really like.  The long plan is to finally tear down the ROTC wings on the Old Gym and to repurpose that historic space into a historic 'ballroom' type facility.  The origins of this idea come from the remodeled Law reading room in Sensenbrenner which is now a truly lovely space that accommodates maybe 75 tops.  MU reportedly has need for additional large common space for functions and the goal is to go historic and ornate.  The AMU ballroom is nothing better than 'fine'.  It would alleviate the need to use the Wisconsin Club as much as they currently do.  So one could expect everything from Alumni Awards weekend to the basketball postseason luncheon to be held there.  Way down the road (like 10+ years) however.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:11:44 AM by jsglow »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2018, 09:08:32 AM »
Those who are so strongly against an on campus facility don't fully understand the positive financials with both the on campus facility and entertainment center and also the negative implications, both financial and otherwise, of the new Bucks arena, as it relates to MU. Slick and the gang brought cases of K-Y with them from NY.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2018, 09:22:10 AM »
Let me pose a hypothetical.  A well heeled donor offers $100M to build an arena in her name.  Enough to cover the complete project.  This donor may donate further to the university, but only on the condition that her arena is built.

Should the university say no?

That's all well and good, but how much is maintenance?

Here is the key question: would the revenue from operations be greater than maintenance costs AND the opportunity cost of whatever real estate that this new arena replaces?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2018, 09:23:10 AM »
Those who are so strongly against an on campus facility don't fully understand the positive financials with both the on campus facility and entertainment center and also the negative implications, both financial and otherwise, of the new Bucks arena, as it relates to MU. Slick and the gang brought cases of K-Y with them from NY.

This is the one thing that could swing me in favor of an arena.  If the Bucks ownership make it so financially unfavorable that playing in the Bucks arena just doesn't make sense anymore, then the MU arena would be the next best alternative.  But it would still be my second choice.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2018, 09:29:45 AM »
7 year lease says it all, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2018, 09:30:57 AM »
Given my current knowledge, I'm opposed to an on-campus arena.  I doubt that it gets the use that people claim it will.

Other than graduation and basketball games, who is going to use Wild Arena when they could use the state-of-the-art Silk Exotic Center eight blocks away?

It sounds to me like MU had a golden goose with Kohl at the helm of the Bucks.  And now people are stomping their feet because Slick and the Hedge Fund Crew aren't as generous.

I find this topic interesting.  And whatever the current discussions going on in Zilber Hall, I will continue to donate my $50 per year.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2018, 09:34:26 AM »
MU would say yes, and probably have a press conference the next week.

I'm not so sure about that. Though I am guessing we have smarter people in charge now than we did 5 or so years ago.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2018, 09:34:57 AM »
Litehouse

IMO, the new owners of the Buck's is the reason why this is on the table. I'm not so sure MU got a great deal with the gang running the BC or not, but they have their hands full with the Buck's owners. It always makes sense to evaluate all options and put yourself in the drivers seat, when possible.

I cannot envision any bargaining chip that MU can bring to the new arena. 18 nights of ball will not sway the Buck's to play nice with MU. In addition, on campus arena gives MU first call on all dates and starting times, which would be nice.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2018, 09:36:12 AM »
Other than graduation and basketball games, who is going to use Wild Arena when they could use the state-of-the-art Silk Exotic Center eight blocks away?
The same people that use the MECCA (besides UWM) and High Life Theater right now.  If those get torn down for Convention Center expansion to the north, then it starts to make a little more sense.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2018, 09:41:30 AM »
The same people that use the MECCA (besides UWM) and High Life Theater right now.  If those get torn down for Convention Center expansion to the north, then it starts to make a little more sense.

Of course, and the same would be true for a 3rd party investor who might possibly look to MU for land.  Interestingly, the old auditorium (whatever they call it these days) struggled for years following its modernization.  I really think the arena is here for the long haul.  It's actually pretty well positioned relative to the Chaluparena.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2018, 09:42:52 AM »
Exactly.  The only way MU has any bargaining power with the NYC Bucks is if, or when, MU has an alternative location.  When does UWM's deal with the Arena expire?

Litehouse

IMO, the new owners of the Buck's is the reason why this is on the table. I'm not so sure MU got a great deal with the gang running the BC or not, but they have their hands full with the Buck's owners. It always makes sense to evaluate all options and put yourself in the drivers seat, when possible.

I cannot envision any bargaining chip that MU can bring to the new arena. 18 nights of ball will not sway the Buck's to play nice with MU. In addition, on campus arena gives MU first call on all dates and starting times, which would be nice.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

connie

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2018, 09:44:43 AM »
Given my current knowledge, I'm opposed to an on-campus arena.  I doubt that it gets the use that people claim it will.

It sounds to me like MU had a golden goose with Kohl at the helm of the Bucks.  And now people are stomping their feet because Slick and the Hedge Fund Crew aren't as generous.

I find this topic interesting.  And whatever the current discussions going on in Zilber Hall, I will continue to donate my $50 per year.
MU had a great deal because the Petit's gave the BC to Milwaukee.  The BC Board was set up to be community minded.  Kohl and the State are giving substantial money to the new arena, but I don't know where the control of the stadium resides, although I gather that the guiding principal is not as favorable to MU as the BC Board was. 

I think this is all an interesting discussion, but right now it is all pure fantasy.  In 7-10 years the landscape may change dramatically, but I think we are far more likely to have a public replacement of the Panther Arena as part of an overhaul of the convention center than we are to think that MU would invest so heavily in such a limited use facility that, as of right now, has a crowded field of competitive venues.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus