collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Are Frats Lame?

Yes
No

Author Topic: To frat or not to frat  (Read 19975 times)

lurch91

• All American
To frat or not to frat
« on: August 29, 2008, 01:08:46 PM »
The last thing you want is the pub that your school can party, all it does is cause chancellors and the like (Sherry Coe P!) to try and stop it.  MU is in decent shape b/c it's really under-rated as a party school but the dewindling number of bars + lack of FFP + too many smart kids is slowly eroding that under-ratedness.  One my favorite memories of college was a UW buddy coming to visit, he passed out at the foot of the keg at 10pm.  We just put a sign on him that said...Madison, that School can Party!...People had to step over him the rest of the night to get their beer.

At UW they get rewarded b/c a few frats will have 30 kegs one weekend.  Congrats you have 35,000 undergrads.  Who cares that Triangle (@UW) built a keg cooling room, big deal, enjoy drinking with engineers all night.

At MU the weekend began with a Lakefront Tour, was amped up with a happy hour, sustained at a party, carried on at a bar, continued at an after-bars and then finished at the Harp at 6am.  Noboday does it like MU.

When ANY Badger party hits 100 kegs, is dj'ed by a radio station, then get mentioned in the paper for public disturbance (or some other nonsense), call me (Yes, I was there and was in PKT).  One of the best nights of my life.

Any campus that has pre-parties for parties, is the home of naked beer slides and has a Gyro stand within walking distance wins any arguement in my book.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
Re: To frat or not to frat
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 10:43:09 AM »
enjoy drinking with engineers all night.

If you really think drinking with engineers is boring, then you've been drinking with the wrong engineers  ;)

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 01:23:31 PM »
Went to a party at MU's Delta Chi "house" once...the disco ball was enough to make sure I never came back.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

reinko

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 08:33:28 PM »
Back in the day it was all you could drink at Lakefront...sounds like some people took advantage of that of it. :)

Duey23

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 10:51:54 PM »
Went to a party at MU's Delta Chi "house" once...the disco ball was enough to make sure I never came back.

Delta Chi wasn't the Engineers fraternity.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 12:35:59 AM »
delta chi once, delta chi twice, wholly jumpin Jesus Christ

sigep80

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 09:15:10 AM »
delta chi?   I completely understand why you went once and never went back.  A couple of my fraternity brothers went to their house once and walked out with the keg, half full.

The good parties were at 2427 west Kilbourn

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 04:55:47 PM »
delta chi?   I completely understand why you went once and never went back.  A couple of my fraternity brothers went to their house once and walked out with the keg, half full.

I would get upset about your theft of our beer but I try not to be bothered by things that happend before i was born, old man.  We have a new house, i beleive the newest on campus (bringing our count to two).  How's sigeps doing?

Duey23

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 11:16:01 PM »

Were they?  Sure if you wanted to get mugged on the way back to campus.

leftcoast warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 03:04:13 PM »
Not to be that guy....but honestly who was in a frat at MU???....LAME

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 07:27:45 AM »

There were fraternities at Marquette?

(OK, so maybe this should have been teal.)

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 08:57:31 AM »

+1

Frats at MU: Engi-nerds in hockey jerseys and dork caddies

sigep80

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 09:57:25 AM »
You guys sound like the kid who couldn't get a date to the dance - "Who wants to go to a stupid dance anyway, bunch of engineer nerds".

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 10:23:17 AM »
or maybe they, and myself feel that we don't need to be in the few frats on campus because we are able to network without them...I know a lot of kids in the frats on campus. They're nice people and have their reasons for being in them.  I personally feel that they are most important as a way to network with people/build your resume, and possibly help out the community around you. I am able to do those things without joining a frat so I see it, personally, as something not that useful. Frat life isn't that common on MU's campus, sigep, and many people could give a rat's @ss about the frats.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 11:02:19 AM »
MarqPTM was heavily recruited by Triangle Frat hahaha.  He politely declined as he should have.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 11:09:24 AM »
+1

Frats at MU: Engineers in hockey jerseys and dork caddies
Yeah MUwarrior87 this guy really sounded like he was trying to express those things....

Since Reinko has no idea on what being in a frat means I'll help him out.

As an alumni i've:

Some of bacherlor parties i've been to:
Road trips to winsor and Memphis.
Flew to pheonix for spring training, vegas numerous times, austin for the city limits festival.
Rented RV's and drove to the Kentucky durby

Future party in the works: Cannonball run to Tijuana

All of it with at 16-30 guys with us.  At least 15 weddings.  On an yearly basis we have an annual trip to vegas, a christmas party with booze and cocktail girls, trip to lake front after a game, touch football game, fantasy football draft and golf outing.  All things that happen every year, well attended.  I'm 5 years out of school, and still remain close ties with a lot of people through organized yearly events that you know will happen. It also means if i drop off the radar for a few years i'll still know what is going on. Very few people who were not in a frat maintain contact the level of contact and thus relive college experiences at the same level.  

I'm not saying anything bad about those who didn't but understand that it does provide a lot of people with a lot of opportunities for fun and building friendships, which is really the point.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 11:28:16 AM »
It's a lot easier to build those extremely strong relationships Rawdog when everyone in the house is spooning each other every night. ;)

HEAVILY recruited by Triangle. GROSS.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 11:34:53 AM by marqptm »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 12:00:40 PM »
Fraternity brothers…the best friends $300 a semester can buy
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 06:09:52 PM »
Yeah... if you have to join a frat to make friends on a college campus that's a bad sign.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 10:33:13 PM »
Ok this thread is a little rediculous.

I am a former SigEp as well. In no way did I need to "buy my friends" I have just as many, if not more friends from outside the fraternity as from inside of it. I did it for a different experience and I am glad I did it. It builds charachter and you do build great friendships and it is great for networking, even OUTSIDE of Marquette. I got 3 interviews from people I did not even know just because they were SigEp alumni. I would like to see that happen to all of you ripping on fraternity members for not being able to network on their own. If you are intellegent about it you can network both ways and get the best of both worlds.

I had a great time at Marquette. Many of my great times were with the fratenity people, but just as many were with my other friends. Just being in a fraternity does not make you the tool that many people here are making you out to be. People have different reasons for ding things, I chose it for the experience. Lets stop ripping on people. You make your college experience what you want to make it. No use ripping on people. If you make the most of your college opprotunity everybody wins. Fraternitys are not all bad.

P.S.

Can we please move this to the superbar. Not about gameday anymore.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 07:51:42 AM »
.. After my wife has me watching the show "Greek" .. I'm totally kicking myself for not joining a frat!

That Cappy .. my hero.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 08:04:49 AM »
Back in the day it was all you could drink at Lakefront...sounds like some people took advantage of that of it. :)

<--- my record was 8 glasses during the tour... all of it was Eastside Dark... you know... the diesel.

my friends record was 12.

regardless, it was awesome.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 08:09:37 AM »
Yeah MUwarrior87 this guy really sounded like he was trying to express those things....

Since Reinko has no idea on what being in a frat means I'll help him out.

As an alumni i've:

Some of bacherlor parties i've been to:
Road trips to winsor and Memphis.
Flew to pheonix for spring training, vegas numerous times, austin for the city limits festival.
Rented RV's and drove to the Kentucky durby

Future party in the works: Cannonball run to Tijuana

All of it with at 16-30 guys with us.  At least 15 weddings.  On an yearly basis we have an annual trip to vegas, a christmas party with booze and cocktail girls, trip to lake front after a game, touch football game, fantasy football draft and golf outing.  All things that happen every year, well attended.  I'm 5 years out of school, and still remain close ties with a lot of people through organized yearly events that you know will happen. It also means if i drop off the radar for a few years i'll still know what is going on. Very few people who were not in a frat maintain contact the level of contact and thus relive college experiences at the same level.  

I'm not saying anything bad about those who didn't but understand that it does provide a lot of people with a lot of opportunities for fun and building friendships, which is really the point.

*golfclap*  you have lived your life and I have lived mine... except I didn't pay for my friends, they liked me and like me for who I am, not my affiliation.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 08:29:46 AM »

<--- my record was 8 glasses during the tour... all of it was Eastside Dark... you know... the diesel.

my friends record was 12.

regardless, it was awesome.

thanks for ruining it for everyone else  ;)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 08:56:42 AM »
lol, if a bank starts handing out $5 bills, you pick that crap up.

feedback