Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gameday Not Coming to Milwaukee This Season  (Read 5109 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Gameday Not Coming to Milwaukee This Season
« on: August 28, 2008, 12:11:23 PM »
2 Big East games on the slate.

Jan. 17- Chapel Hill, N.C. (Miami at North Carolina)
Jan. 24- South Bend, Ind. (Connecticut at Notre Dame)
Jan. 31- Knoxville, Tenn. (Florida at Tennessee)
Feb. 7- Spokane, Wash. (Memphis at Gonzaga)
Feb. 14- Madison, Wis. (Ohio State at Wisconsin)
Feb. 21- Austin, Texas (Oklahoma at Texas)
Feb. 28- Berkeley, Calif. (UCLA at California)
Mar. 7- Morgantown, W.V. (Louisville at West Virginia)

jmayer1

• All American
Re: Gameday Not Coming to Milwaukee This Season
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 12:20:40 PM »
2 Big East games on the slate.

Jan. 17- Chapel Hill, N.C. (Miami at North Carolina)
Jan. 24- South Bend, Ind. (Connecticut at Notre Dame)
Jan. 31- Knoxville, Tenn. (Florida at Tennessee)
Feb. 7- Spokane, Wash. (Memphis at Gonzaga)
Feb. 14- Madison, Wis. (Ohio State at Wisconsin)
Feb. 21- Austin, Texas (Oklahoma at Texas)
Feb. 28- Berkeley, Calif. (UCLA at California)
Mar. 7- Morgantown, W.V. (Louisville at West Virginia)

For Gameday, maybe UW students will actually show up earlier than 5 minutes gone in the first half to find their assigned seats.

LON

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 12:33:31 PM »
I find it laughable that Madison (touted as one of the best party towns) tried to outlaw (successfully?) any and all drink specials at their bars, but yet they still get the EA and Gameday slob job.

I'll also group in football when they visit as well.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 01:07:31 PM »
I find it laughable that Madison (touted as one of the best party towns) tried to outlaw (successfully?) any and all drink specials at their bars, but yet they still get the EA and Gameday slob job.

I'll also group in football when they visit as well.

The last thing you want is the pub that your school can party, all it does is cause chancellors and the like (Sherry Coe P!) to try and stop it.  MU is in decent shape b/c it's really under-rated as a party school but the dewindling number of bars + lack of FFP + too many smart kids is slowly eroding that under-ratedness.  One my favorite memories of college was a UW buddy coming to visit, he passed out at the foot of the keg at 10pm.  We just put a sign on him that said...Madison, that School can Party!...People had to step over him the rest of the night to get their beer.

At UW they get rewarded b/c a few frats will have 30 kegs one weekend.  Congrats you have 35,000 undergrads.  Who cares that Triangle (@UW) built a keg cooling room, big deal, enjoy drinking with engineers all night.

At MU the weekend began with a Lakefront Tour, was amped up with a happy hour, sustained at a party, carried on at a bar, continued at an after-bars and then finished at the Harp at 6am.  Noboday does it like MU.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 02:14:49 PM »

Yes, they did successfully outlawed (kind of) drink specials in Madison bars.  The issue went up to the WI Supreme Court and they held that this was permissible (i.e.: didn't violate antitrust laws).

You can read the opinion "http://www.wicourts.gov/sc/opinion/DisplayDocument.html?content=html&seqNo=32641"

btw, any hiring attorneys looking for a new associate in Chicagoland come next summer should send me a message.  MUScoop networking!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 02:57:33 PM »
The least Crean could have done is hook us up with Gameday before he bolted. ;D
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 04:29:56 PM »
There was no way in he!! that Mu was getting another college game day so soon.  Most if not all of the schools on this new list have never had one.  There are alot of great venues that Espn is going to run thru before we get another one.  My guess would be in another 1 to 4 years.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 05:02:29 PM »
What did the rodents do to deserve a visit?

That Memphis at Gonzaga game is gonna be good. Memphis lost talent and the Zags are re-arming. Spokane is a tough place to play.
SS Marquette

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 08:30:04 PM »
What did the rodents do to deserve a visit?

That Memphis at Gonzaga game is gonna be good. Memphis lost talent and the Zags are re-arming. Spokane is a tough place to play.

Because some analysts have a hard on for Bo Ryan and Ohio St.  They must have drooled over that game.  You give a gameday game to a game between a sweet 16 team and a NIT team?  Not to mention neither will be that great this year.  The Badgers will be mediocre at best (their best scorer is Bohanen?) and OSU will be lead by the ugly mug of BJ Mullins, who I feel is a tad over-rated.

There had to be a better game, not saying Marquette should have got a game, but come on, something besides that game.

I think the best game on the list is Oklahoma v Texas in Austin, should be a good one.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

LON

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 08:21:53 AM »
The last thing you want is the pub that your school can party, all it does is cause chancellors and the like (Sherry Coe P!) to try and stop it.  MU is in decent shape b/c it's really under-rated as a party school but the dewindling number of bars + lack of FFP + too many smart kids is slowly eroding that under-ratedness.  One my favorite memories of college was a UW buddy coming to visit, he passed out at the foot of the keg at 10pm.  We just put a sign on him that said...Madison, that School can Party!...People had to step over him the rest of the night to get their beer.

At UW they get rewarded b/c a few frats will have 30 kegs one weekend.  Congrats you have 35,000 undergrads.  Who cares that Triangle (@UW) built a keg cooling room, big deal, enjoy drinking with engineers all night.

At MU the weekend began with a Lakefront Tour, was amped up with a happy hour, sustained at a party, carried on at a bar, continued at an after-bars and then finished at the Harp at 6am.  Noboday does it like MU.

Excellent point.  I too am a fan of the Lakefront experience...and that absolutely disgusting feeling you have walking into the Harp and Sham on a Sunday morning...

Ah, college.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 11:05:58 AM »
Actually, it will be good to get a game in Madison. That way the entire country can watch that ridiculously overrated swing offense while the Badgers somehow get a 30-8 edge in free-throw attempts.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 12:14:32 PM »
Actually, it will be good to get a game in Madison. That way the entire country can watch that ridiculously overrated swing offense while the Badgers somehow get a 30-8 edge in free-throw attempts.

the problem is for some odd reason ESPN thinks thats a fantastic offense, and that the edge in free-throws comes from Bo Ryan's discipline on the kids and teaching defense.  They aren't going to show his whining on the sidelines.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2