collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by JTJ3
[Today at 06:20:57 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:43:38 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Are Frats Lame?

Yes
No

Author Topic: To frat or not to frat  (Read 19972 times)

sigep80

• Scholarship Player
Re: To frat or not to frat
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 09:10:54 AM »
Hards you've got no clue.  Being in a fraternity doesn't mean you pay for friends, your dues pay for beer.  I was social chair my junior year, and one of my duties was to call City Sales on Monday: they would deliver 2 kegs on Tuesday morning, carrying them off the truck and put them into our cooler.  They would deliver another 3 kegs on Friday.  Even at 1980 prices, the beer total added up. 

I guess though, in a sense we did buy friends.  There were always a lot of women at our house, party night or not - not sure if it was the beer or the good looking brothers.......

sv48

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 10:50:27 AM »
you cant have kegs at frat houses anymore, so their parties are pretty lame, I know chuncken is pissed at me now.  ;)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 11:32:15 AM »
exactly.

I don't know how to break it to you SigEp80, but... its... not... 1980 anymore.

When was the last time you went to a SigEp party at MU?

I would venture a guess that it wasn't in the last 10 years.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 11:43:01 AM »
Not to pile on or anything but when I was at MU (1998-2002) joining a frat wasn't the "cool" thing to do...in fact, most of the guys I knew that joined frats (with the exception of 1) we're pretty much d-bags...sorry, just MHO.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 01:27:40 PM »
What?  Not in 2008.  They're all cool, like Cappy and Spitter.

sigep80

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 05:33:44 PM »
I obviously haven't been to a frat party at MU, or anywhere, in a long time.

Some writers above stated that frats were "lame", and only engin'nerds or folks desperate for friends joined a fraternity, and at least in my experience that was not true.

There were certain years that the fraternity's were very popular, and as others posted above, it was a very fulfilling experience that resulted in lifelong friendships. 

Don't knock it just because it wasn't the right thing for you - didn't you learn anything from your Jesuit education?

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 06:21:47 PM »
I I got 3 interviews from people I did not even know just because they were SigEp alumni. I would like to see that happen to all of you ripping on fraternity members for not being able to network on their own.

If you only got the interviews because of your frat, you didn't really network "on your own."

Not saying, just saying.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 07:08:19 PM »
I got those interviews because of the fraternity. I got other interviews based on other networks. So yes I did network on my own

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 08:50:38 PM »
I didn't go to Marquette, however at UW-Platteville(where I did go, or do go, I don't know what to call it now that I am student teaching), frats were lame.  They preyed on freshman to join, and really had nothing to offer.  I don't knock anyone for joining a fraternity, I just was never interested.  I believe the problem with frats come from the members(not all, but some) who have nothing else to bring to a conversation but what their fraternity is doing.  Honestly, I could give a crap what your last function was, or who did what(honestly, whats the point of calling them by their "frat" name to a guy who isn't part of that circle, just call them by their real name).  Playing rugby on campus, a lot of what I was doing had to do with rugby, it took up a lot of time out of my day, sort of like a fraternity, yet when I was finished with rugby, I didn't talk about it to others, unless they asked, I used people skills and my social skills to network with others outside of my inner circle.  So to clear it up, I have no problem with people who join a fraternity, however there are those who join a frat and lean and use that frat for all its worth, and lose everything else that makes the person unique and interesting to talk to.

Fraternities can be a positive experience for some people, and just not something for others.  No reason to name call each other on here, just stupid.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 08:59:51 PM »
*golfclap*  you have lived your life and I have lived mine... except I didn't pay for my friends, they liked me and like me for who I am, not my affiliation.

What ever, if you had been in a frat you'd know the difference between the ones you like because of a similar affiliation.  The money we pay goes to doing fun things.  You knwo the things you wanted to do but didn't because you couldn't get your 'friends' to do it.  My post was about how I have enjoyed the bennifits of being an alum yours was a sad attempt to bring me down and why?  Seriously why did it make you so mad?  I'm having so much fun that you have to launch a pathetic attack against the bond i have with my friends?  Why do you feel that way?  Sounds like you aren't as happy wiht your 'friends' as you'd like me to believe.

I list a half dozen fun experiences that happen after graduation and you find the need to talk about 'paying' for them. As if we are still at school?  List some fun things you and your friends have done post graduation?  Let me guess, you've ordered pizza, watched some football, and done tons of crap everyone does.  

Is paintballing free?  if you are in a frat and your dues pay for it then yes
Are dances  free?  if you are in a frat and your dues pay for it then yes
are kegs of beer free?   if you are in a frat and your dues pay for it then yes
It costs money to do things, if you collect it at every event, at the start of a symester or not as all because you are sitting on the couch and that is free.

How are pooling funds then using those funds to do fun things with people who have similar interests 'buying' friends?  If you are paying a person to hang out with you then you are buying them.  If you and your two friends split a pizza you aren't 'buying' them.    Idiotic.

Buzz4Prez

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 09:42:50 PM »
Alright... time for my two cents. Post graduation I have done plenty of things with my friends, many you have mentioned in your earlier post. Me and my friends have a very close bond. I have no idea if you or any "frat boys" were buying friends, nor do I really care. However I have to agree that overall Frats are lame... I feel a poll coming on here!

Buzz4Prez

• Scholarship Player
To Frat or Not To Frat That Is The Question... Answer It Here!
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2008, 09:44:05 PM »
we will decide it with a vote...

spartan3186

• All American
Re: To Frat or Not To Frat That Is The Question... Answer It Here!
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2008, 09:51:31 PM »
This is a ridiculous poll. Obviously at Marquette the consensus is going to be a resounding yes. A major reason for this is because Marquette does nothing to facilitate the greek system at all. Having deferred enrollment takes a major toll on the greek system, hence not as much of a presence on campus. Since the greeks do not have a presence on campus it leads to their "lame" stereotype.

I actually agreed with that stereotype up until the point that I was convinced to give it a try, while some of the people are indeed giant d-bags, something I will whole-heartedly admit, the actual experience is not "lame" and some of the people are amongst the most interesting and passionate people on campus.

In response to this poll, I choose other. To each each their own.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2008, 04:36:39 PM »
Let me preface this comment with: I was not in a fraternity at MU.

Marquette's fraternity scene is lame. I dont mean to slight it, but it does not have the same fraternity aspect to it as other schools (larger fraternity campus'). I think that students come to MU expecting fraternities to be keggers and skanks, but MU's scene is just not that. You dont need to be in a fraternity to get drunk and make long lasting friendships. MU's fraternity scene from friends that were in one, is more based on the brotherhood aspect of it. While you could say me and my friends have a 'brothership', its not the same. I am sure that someone in a fraternity can expand on this.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2008, 03:08:19 PM »
What ever, if you had been in a frat you'd know the difference between the ones you like because of a similar affiliation.  The money we pay goes to doing fun things.  You knwo the things you wanted to do but didn't because you couldn't get your 'friends' to do it.  My post was about how I have enjoyed the bennifits of being an alum yours was a sad attempt to bring me down and why?  Seriously why did it make you so mad?  I'm having so much fun that you have to launch a pathetic attack against the bond i have with my friends?  Why do you feel that way?  Sounds like you aren't as happy wiht your 'friends' as you'd like me to believe.

I list a half dozen fun experiences that happen after graduation and you find the need to talk about 'paying' for them. As if we are still at school?  List some fun things you and your friends have done post graduation?  Let me guess, you've ordered pizza, watched some football, and done tons of crap everyone does.  

Is paintballing free?  if you are in a frat and your dues pay for it then yes
Are dances  free?  if you are in a frat and your dues pay for it then yes
are kegs of beer free?   if you are in a frat and your dues pay for it then yes
It costs money to do things, if you collect it at every event, at the start of a symester or not as all because you are sitting on the couch and that is free.

How are pooling funds then using those funds to do fun things with people who have similar interests 'buying' friends?  If you are paying a person to hang out with you then you are buying them.  If you and your two friends split a pizza you aren't 'buying' them.    Idiotic.

lol man, quite the response to the one liner I layed out there for you... and I'M the angry one... If you don't know me, don't accuse me of lacking friends, because I assure you, the direct opposite was true.

for the record, paying for things, does in fact make them NOT FREE.

My friends pooled our money, bought kegs, and then threw parties that EVERYONE was invited to... much like you did (except for the everything part, that is)

Also, the way we met each other was far less dubious... I can't imagine walking into a building of people and just saying here is my money to pay for our 'dues' and now lets all be friends... I choose (like most people, mind you) to be a bit more selective on who will and will not be my friends. 

This is where the 'buying' friends argument comes in... as a Freshman, there is a VERY good chance that you know less than 10% of the frat when you commit to joining... so in effect, you are contributing money (buying) to a mandatory pool of money.  If you don't know them, and you are giving them money so that it is okay to hang out, you are in fact, buying them.  Whether or not you can accept this fact is not important.  But it is what it is.

I'm not knocking it, but you come off (very often) as high and mighty and quite condescending...

now where have I seen that type of behaviour before?...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 03:14:31 PM by Hards_Alumni »

sigep80

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2008, 03:51:33 PM »
Hards - some facts:

You don't pay when you join.  You attend several events, probably met some members in class or dorms, and get to know folks, (many more than 10%.  We had 30 guys or so, you got to know way more than half of them).  After this, you are either asked to pledge or not, if you accept, you spend the rest of the semester in "rush".  It's an opportunity for you to get to know the entire fraternity, and for all the guys to get to know you.  One of the rqmts is that you must make "house calls" on each member.  Spend most of the evening with 1 or more of the members to get to know each other, drink a few beverages.

At semesters end, you are invited to join or not.  The semester after you join, you are asked to pay dues.  If you are like most of the guys back then, it takes you another semester to come up with the money.  A whole year at no cost!!!  And lot's of friends!!!

If you don't want to join, you were still welcome at the house, just don't be an awhole.

BTW, most folks joined when they were sophomores back when I was there.  Most of us had many friends outside the fraternity as well. 

One last thing, you sound like you have a real hard on fro fraternities, which I don't understand.  Did something happen to you?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2008, 04:14:27 PM »

At semesters end, you are invited to join or not.  The semester after you join, you are asked to pay dues.  If you are like most of the guys back then, it takes you another semester to come up with the money.  A whole year at no cost!!!  And lot's of friends!!!

Seems like you're trying to sell us a new car.

on_the_marq

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2008, 06:36:51 PM »
How about another poll?

Is this the most worthless thread ever?

Option A)  Yes
Option B)  Yes

Vote now.

It's not about money, beer, or parties.  If you have something in the common with the people you are hanging out with, it doesn't matter if you are in a fraternity or not.  I decided not to attend a major university (the one that beat us in the '03 Final Four) because the Greek scene was too much of an influence on campus.  So what's "lame" for someone might be "ideal" for someone else.

I was in a fraternity at MU, and my ties to MU basketball wouldn't be as strong if it weren't for my friends in the fraternity, so I'm thankful for that.  This board is about basketball, right?

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2008, 10:47:22 PM »
actually no... Hangin At the Al is about basketball...

The Superbar is about anything, except for politics.  Here at MUscoop when politics are brought up, bananas are thrown in the air and we all go apecrap.

edit: apparently you can't say apepoop(you get the picture)... so here at MUscoop, we are limited to going apecrap.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2008, 08:09:53 AM »
Hards - some facts:

You don't pay when you join.  You attend several events, probably met some members in class or dorms, and get to know folks, (many more than 10%.  We had 30 guys or so, you got to know way more than half of them).  After this, you are either asked to pledge or not, if you accept, you spend the rest of the semester in "rush".  It's an opportunity for you to get to know the entire fraternity, and for all the guys to get to know you.  One of the rqmts is that you must make "house calls" on each member.  Spend most of the evening with 1 or more of the members to get to know each other, drink a few beverages.

If you don't want to join, you were still welcome at the house, just don't be an awhole.

BTW, most folks joined when they were sophomores back when I was there.  Most of us had many friends outside the fraternity as well. 

One last thing, you sound like you have a real hard on fro fraternities, which I don't understand.  Did something happen to you?
]

no, nothing happened with any frats with me... in fact I had friends who joined frats, and then many of which who later decided it was a silly idea since their real friends weren't in the frat, so they 'quit'.

Again, I'm not busting on frats, I just really don't see the point of creating an exclusive club... and don't cry that it was for the 'brotherhood' because most of us consider our closest friends to be the same thing... at least I would, I guess I can't speak for everyone else here.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2008, 09:43:15 AM »
Is the Rabbits Athletic Club still on campus?  Claimed to be the anti-frat, but was just like one.

I think that Marquette is not that fraternicized(sp) because of size.  A larger university needs frats to kind of break down the size.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2008, 09:50:51 AM »
i would tend to disagree with that statement... St. Norbert in Depere is extremely fraternized and is much smaller.

I would say that most of it stems from the rules and regulations placed upon frats by MU's administration in addition to the fact that Milwaukee is a large city as opposed to a college town like Depere... or as a best case example, Oxford, Ohio (Miami of Ohio)

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2008, 01:43:14 PM »
Is the Rabbits Athletic Club still on campus?  Claimed to be the anti-frat, but was just like one.

I think that Marquette is not that fraternicized(sp) because of size.  A larger university needs frats to kind of break down the size.

No more Rabbits.

sigep80

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2008, 03:58:25 PM »
And I think a lot of those rules and regulations were expanded etc during the 80's when the Wisconsin drinking age was raised from 18 to 21.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2008, 04:16:37 PM »
SigEp by definition I believe = d-bag.

feedback