[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Needs Moving Forward  (Read 11305 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Needs Moving Forward
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2024, 01:20:24 PM »
Pretty sure Chase would start.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2024, 01:25:39 PM »
Good thing the season does not start tomorrow

My starting 5 as of today:
Norman
Killer Kam
Mitchell
Joplin
Hamilton

There is zero chance chase doesn’t start if the current roster holds
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

nyg

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2024, 01:25:53 PM »
Are they blocked by an All American playing 35-40 minutes?

If Shaka wants to play his All American 40 minutes a game, so be it. Then he can't complain players are beat up, tired, and can't shoot threes and slow on defense, because they are beat up, tired, etc....

Owens and Parham are not replacing or are blocked by the All American at his position anyway, so has no argument to that as to their playing time.  Norman did not play one minute in two NCAAT games and it is my thought that something is up with that.
I refuse to speculate and we will see what happens over next month. 

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2024, 01:29:40 PM »
Good thing the season does not start tomorrow

My starting 5 as of today:
Norman
Killer Kam
Mitchell
Joplin
Hamilton

On top of swapping Tre for Chase, I have to believe Gold is starting 5 as of now also.

Kam
Stevie
Chase
Jolp
Gold

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2024, 01:32:36 PM »
I don't think anything has to be "up" for a rotation to get shortened in March.  I expect both Tre and Zaide will be key pieces off the bench next year.  I expect Owens and Parham to see more minutes than this years Freshman did, mostly because we are losing more this offseason than we did last offseason.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2024, 01:39:04 PM »
On top of swapping Tre for Chase, I have to believe Gold is starting 5 as of now also.

Kam
Stevie
Chase
Jolp
Gold
Need a point guard. I have also been hearing that Hamilton has been killing it in practice the past 2 months.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2024, 01:41:38 PM »
Need a point guard. I have also been hearing that Hamilton has been killing it in practice the past 2 months.

Have you ever heard of anyone not killing it in practice?

Zog from Margo

• Team Captain
« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2024, 01:43:08 PM »

Kam
Stevie
Chase
Jolp
Gold

I'll be shocked if Gold does not start. His stats this year a very similar to Oso's first year under Shaka. Gold moves a lot better than some are saying. Gold will not pass as well as Oso and may not defend quite as well. He will rebound at least as well and will give MU the option to play five-out. Like Oso, he has to learn to defend without fouling.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2024, 01:44:13 PM »
Have you ever heard of anyone not killing it in practice?
Yes. Jolp

nyg

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2024, 01:49:16 PM »
I'll be shocked if Gold does not start. His stats this year a very similar to Oso's first year under Shaka. Gold moves a lot better than some are saying. Gold will not pass as well as Oso and may not defend quite as well. He will rebound at least as well and will give MU the option to play five-out. Like Oso, he has to learn to defend without fouling.

Gold came in for Oso at the usual before 12 minute TV timeout against NCST and played in the paint. He got two fouls in one minute, I believe against Middlebrooks, not Burns.  He missed a three, of course outside the paint and then missed one of two free throws.  Oso came in three minutes later.  That being said, Gold will not last long in the paint on defense, he fouls way too often.  Let's see how Shaka figures it all out after potential roster reconstruction. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2024, 01:54:53 PM »
Gold came in for Oso at the usual before 12 minute TV timeout against NCST and played in the paint. He got two fouls in one minute, I believe against Middlebrooks, not Burns.  He missed a three, of course outside the paint and then missed one of two free throws.  Oso came in three minutes later.  That being said, Gold will not last long in the paint on defense, he fouls way too often.  Let's see how Shaka figures it all out after potential roster reconstruction.

Ben fouls per 40 as a Sophomore, 4.5. Oso fouls per 40 as a Sophomore, 4.4.   I think our defensive game plan will have to adjust with Ben as the primary big as he doesn't have the footspeed of Oso (less switching), but I see no reason Ben can't make the same leaps that Oso did on the defensive end.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2024, 01:55:36 PM »
Heaven help us in the middle if Gold is our starting 5 man .He's a 4 (or a 3), IMO. If one thinks our rebounding is bad now.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2024, 01:56:18 PM »
Gold might be a 20 minute player, since he is not quick enough, slow afoot which causes lots of fouls. Hope Hamilton is good enough to play the other 20.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2024, 01:58:23 PM »
Heaven help us in the middle if Gold is our starting 5 man .He's a 4 (or a 3), IMO. If one thinks our rebounding is bad now.

Ben Gold total rebounding % as a Sophomore, 10.4.  Oso total rebounding % as a Sophomore, 9.9.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2024, 01:59:03 PM »
Gold with a healthy offseason will look different.   I choose to think about the 37 minutes he played against Creighton.   Shot poorly from 3.   Competed well against Kalkbrenner.    I am more confident in him as the starting center than I was two years ago with Oso.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2024, 01:59:29 PM »
Gold might be a 20 minute player, since he is not quick enough, slow afoot which causes lots of fouls. Hope Hamilton is good enough to play the other 20.

Ben fouls per 40 as a Sophomore, 4.5. Oso fouls per 40 as a Sophomore, 4.4.   I think our defensive game plan will have to adjust with Ben as the primary big as he doesn't have the footspeed of Oso (less switching), but I see no reason Ben can't make the same leaps that Oso did on the defensive end.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2024, 02:06:41 PM »
Ben Gold total rebounding % as a Sophomore, 10.4.  Oso total rebounding % as a Sophomore, 9.9.
That still doesn't give me the warm fuzzies, we are not a good rebounding team. Those numbers don't change that

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2024, 02:08:54 PM »
Gold with a healthy offseason will look different.   I choose to think about the 37 minutes he played against Creighton.   Shot poorly from 3.   Competed well against Kalkbrenner.    I am more confident in him as the starting center than I was two years ago with Oso.
I am usually a glass half full guy, but IMO, Gold is not a Center. He's a 4, he'll be a 4 at the next level.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2024, 02:09:28 PM »
That still doesn't give me the warm fuzzies, we are not a good rebounding team. Those numbers don't change that

Less to do with personnel and more to do with scheme.  It appears to be the way Shaka wants to play.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2024, 02:09:34 PM »

Ben Gold has a high fouls per game fine...

Now lets think through why and look at the games where he has fouls let's use some common sense here.

1. He also didn't foul out once this year.
2. 2 of his 3 4 foul games came againist Edey and Clingnan. (I'm sorry a big had 14 fouls in four games againist the two best bigs in college basketball in a long time).
3. In his one game without Oso, he had 3 fouls in 37 minutes matchup with Kalkbrenner.

All that matters with fouls is how wisely you use them.

Do you put 7 footers on the line who can't make Ft's to prevent a layup. Are you commiting fouls to generate turnovers.

Otherwise, looking at fouls is kinda pointless.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2024, 02:13:20 PM »
Ben showed phenomenal help and trapping skills on defense this year.  Got better at staying with driving guards.   Most of the centers in the Big East bigger than he is are leaving.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2024, 02:16:55 PM »
Ben Gold has a high fouls per game fine...

Now lets think through why and look at the games where he has fouls let's use some common sense here.

1. He also didn't foul out once this year.
2. 2 of his 3 4 foul games came againist Edey and Clingnan. (I'm sorry a big had 14 fouls in four games againist the two best bigs in college basketball in a long time).
3. In his one game without Oso, he had 3 fouls in 37 minutes matchup with Kalkbrenner.

All that matters with fouls is how wisely you use them.

Do you put 7 footers on the line who can't make Ft's to prevent a layup. Are you commiting fouls to generate turnovers.

Otherwise, looking at fouls is kinda pointless.

Further, if Ben knew that as long as Oso was healthy he was maxing out at around 25 mpg, so he could be more aggressive with his fouls.  If Shaka tells him that he has to be out there 30 mpg, I would be he could manage the appropriate aggressiveness levels.  It might mean giving up a basket or two rather than making someone earn the points at the line, but I think Shaka/Ben would take that trade-off.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2024, 02:27:41 PM »
Ben showed phenomenal help and trapping skills on defense this year.  Got better at staying with driving guards.   Most of the centers in the Big East bigger than he is are leaving.

Ben at center would be fine if MU had 2 better forwards, Mitchell is totally undersized, yes plays strong, and Jop is Jop, not great at anything and sometimes is totally poor in all facets of the game

tower912

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 01, 2024, 02:30:08 PM »
Then, it is a good thing that Ross is likely to play 'forward' next season.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 01, 2024, 02:31:53 PM »
I am usually a glass half full guy, but IMO, Gold is not a Center. He's a 4, he'll be a 4 at the next level.
…next level? Please enlighten.

feedback