Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Needs Moving Forward  (Read 9857 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Needs Moving Forward
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2024, 08:31:01 AM »
who are the more reliable backups?

A more experienced Tre and Sean when he comes back.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2024, 08:44:26 AM »
Computes completely.  Even the part about you not understanding it.

Well, Dung is a moron
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2024, 10:17:27 AM »
We need some bad ass mf'ers, aina?

Yep.

junglecat022

• Walk-On
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2024, 03:05:47 PM »
And how far did that get us?  I don't recall making the final four with Lazar at the 5.

We need a player, preferably 2 that can score in the post when needed.  Ben hasn't shown a post move in 2 years he has been here.

I think Caedin will be a contributor. I think play style could be similar to Eric Dixon on Villanova. Watching his AAU highlights, albeit low level of competition, he has really good feel for the game. Comfortable in the post, soft touch around the hoop, good passing instincts, and maybe even some range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lOYArJ_HV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfdCK-Zs5DM

tower912

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2024, 03:13:33 PM »
Kam, on his podcast, 'Caedin is gonna be a problem.'
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2024, 03:21:10 PM »
Kam did fine filling in as pg because he’s just that talented.  But it isn’t his natural or best position.  I agree with both of your points.  He’s better off the ball and the ball didn’t move as well with him running point.
I agree. IMO an experienced PG is critical…allowing Kam to do his thing at the 2, allowing Stevie the energy to be a beast on D, and Tre can give some solid back-up minutes. We’d then have Ross and Lowrey as slashing wings. Still nervous about the front line. Will Hamilton be solid?…allowing Gold to play the 4, Jop at the 3…are the two incoming freshmen able to contribute from day 1? Is Al a contributor, or a RS, or a transfer candidate? He got walk-on minutes so just not sure. There were a lot of Q’s going into last season and we won season and conf tourney titles. Going into 24/25 feels similar to me.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2024, 04:50:01 PM »
Computes completely.  Even the part about you not understanding it.
Undetstanding is not something you do well.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2024, 04:54:54 PM »
Kam, on his podcast, 'Caedin is gonna be a problem.'

What does Hurley say though?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2024, 06:44:32 PM »
Hamilton is going to be player. I have heard very good things and excited to see him to get his career started. Now that the season is over, I like talking about the new guys. I think he is going to be a contributor from day one.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2024, 06:58:30 PM »
Hamilton is going to be player. I have heard very good things and excited to see him to get his career started. Now that the season is over, I like talking about the new guys. I think he is going to be a contributor from day one.

I'm sure in time he will be a big contributor but I'll believe it when i see it that it will be next year.

We have gone through this hype song and dance routine before about players looking great and then when the season starts, not so much. It was Chase this year.   The last time the hype was real or better was DWade.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2024, 07:04:09 PM »
I'm sure in time he will be a big contributor but I'll believe it when i see it that it will be next year.

We have gone through this hype song and dance routine before about players looking great and then when the season starts, not so much. It was Chase this year.   The last time the hype was real or better was DWade.

The amigos the hype was real.  Maybe not for all of them right away. But Dom and Jerel were solid or better at times from day 1.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2024, 07:23:01 PM »
The amigos the hype was real.  Maybe not for all of them right away. But Dom and Jerel were solid or better at times from day 1.

Good point. Dom lived up to the hype and more his frosh year.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2024, 09:10:04 PM »

With you on this Goose. I recall thinking he was a nice passer too in some highlights I watched when he committed. Also can take a set shot  from 3occasionally (at least in hs and in warmups). Already has the size (and neck) for the big east.

On the other side, with Owens and Parham it's gonna be fun to see the offense that they bring. I hope they can get their defense up to Shaka's desired level. Lots of length on this team next year!
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2024, 09:37:55 PM »
If Kam stays, I don't really see the need for another PG. He can hold it down until Sean is back (which according to him will be late November or December).
We need some size.

I’m not convinced that a) Kam can effectively play PG or b) that Sean Jones is legit as a starting PG.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2024, 11:38:18 AM »
I’m not convinced that a) Kam can effectively play PG or b) that Sean Jones is legit as a starting PG.

I'm pretty convinced that Tre Norman is really good and the best PG we have on our roster. Would love for him to get the starting spot, but they will almost certainly go with Ross as the last starter and Kam at PG.
VIOLENCE!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2024, 11:43:34 AM »
I'm pretty convinced that Tre Norman is really good and the best PG we have on our roster.

I'd love to be that convinced. Rooting for him, but I didn't see a ton that assured me he could step in.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2024, 12:12:58 PM »

Are you more convinced that Ben Gold, Al Amadou and Caeden Hamilton can defend the paint and offer some kind of interior presence on offense?
Because at least we've seen Kam and Sean effectively play PG, if only for short stretches. We've seen Ben serve as an occasionally effective spot-up shooter and nothing from the other two.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 12:15:40 PM by Pakuni »

nyg

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2024, 12:52:32 PM »
I'm pretty convinced that Tre Norman is really good and the best PG we have on our roster. Would love for him to get the starting spot, but they will almost certainly go with Ross as the last starter and Kam at PG.

Then why didn't he play one minute in the last two NCAAT games, with MU having a short bench?  Apparent Shaka had some sort of no faith in him, even after an entire season. Does that carry over or is there 100% improvement over summer. Unless Norman develops a three point shot, especially in Shaka' system, he is not the PG next year.   

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2024, 12:57:23 PM »
Then why didn't he play one minute in the last two NCAAT games, with MU having a short bench?  Apparent Shaka had some sort of no faith in him, even after an entire season. Does that carry over or is there 100% improvement over summer. Unless Norman develops a three point shot, especially in Shaka' system, he is not the PG next year.

Because he is a Freshman and blocked by Kolek who plays 35-40 minutes.

Shaka basically guaranteed to us that Tre will be an All Big East Player at one of his Shaka Smart shows.
VIOLENCE!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2024, 01:00:01 PM »
To me, assuming Kam returns I think we have to fill in the holes to make us as good as possible next year.

I know TK and Oso are gone. But the initial Shaka era still has one more year. We owe it to Stevie and Kam(and I guess Jop when I stop being annoyed with him) to swing big.

Imo with a guard like Kam coming back and everything him, Stevie and Jop have given you don’t just hope to be fringe top 25.

I’d love for underclassmen like Tre to stay. But if we can get a great PG in the portal and he wants to look elsewhere, I’m content. Next year should be prioritized.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

nyg

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2024, 01:00:17 PM »
Because he is a Freshman and blocked by Kolek who plays 35-40 minutes.

Shaka basically guaranteed to us that Tre will be an All Big East Player at one of his Shaka Smart shows.

Great, wake me up when that happens.  I guess Owens and Parham not going to play either, since they are freshman. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2024, 01:00:52 PM »
Tre may be great down the line, but he's not the best PG on the roster. Kam would be the best option if the season started tomorrow.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2024, 01:06:37 PM »
Great, wake me up when that happens.  I guess Owens and Parham not going to play either, since they are freshman.

Are they blocked by an All American playing 35-40 minutes?
VIOLENCE!

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2024, 01:15:10 PM »
The staff would be doing the program a disservice by not taking a look at portal options, which at this point, we will know more as players continue to enter the portal this week. Sign me up for a transfer if that's what the coaching staff is looking to do. I wouldn't take a soundbite from Shaka during an interview as gospel.

Also, who is to say other programs haven't tried tampering with our roster? We can talk about relationships until we're blue in the face, but always be recruiting and looking at options.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2024, 01:17:50 PM »
Tre may be great down the line, but he's not the best PG on the roster. Kam would be the best option if the season started tomorrow.
Good thing the season does not start tomorrow

My starting 5 as of today:
Norman
Killer Kam
Mitchell
Joplin
Hamilton