Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Needs Moving Forward  (Read 9850 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: Needs Moving Forward
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2024, 07:52:56 PM »
I’m pretty excited about what Ben can become. I’m surprised that’s not a more common view.
My main concern about Ben is his defense, not offense.  I think he has the offensive skills if he has opportunities.  But defensive, that is my question mark.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2024, 07:56:08 PM »
1.  A 7 footer who can win every rebounding battle, great pick n roll instincts and 35%+ 3 point shooter
2.  A point guard with great court vision, great pick n roll instincts and a 40% 3 point shooter
3.  Multiple 6'5" to 6'9" guys who jump out of the gym, shoot high percent from 3, live for defense, and are great team players

or

everyone just gets better, like they did this year vs. last year.
Did they get better, or are you referring to UConn? AND THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON THAT MU CANNOT IMPROVE LIKE UCONN.
I for one am tired of excuses offered up for this team. What they need:
~~A bruising big to bash under the boards
~~At least 2 wings that consistently shoot the 3. We have none coming back, except
Kam
~~Everybody here assumes that Oso and Tyler are gone. I have not seen that confirmed yet. Oso would be making a mistake. Tyler possibly. If Tyler does not come back MU needs two PGs that can dribble drive and shoot the 3. They will have none next year if Tyler does not come back.

The obsession some on this board have with Shakas strategy of not utilizing the transfer portal is lame. He needs to get off his ass and actively pursue that, because right now that is what as happening in college BB. Dont like it but you have to adapt.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2024, 08:00:48 PM »
Did they get better, or are you referring to UConn? AND THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON THAT MU CANNOT IMPROVE LIKE UCONN.
I for one am tired of excuses offered up for this team. What they need:
~~A bruising big to bash under the boards
~~At least 2 wings that consistently shoot the 3. We have none coming back, except
Kam
~~Everybody here assumes that Oso and Tyler are gone. I have not seen that confirmed yet. Oso would be making a mistake. Tyler possibly. If Tyler does not come back MU needs two PGs that can dribble drive and shoot the 3. They will have none next year if Tyler does not come back.

The obsession some on this board have with Shakas strategy of not utilizing the transfer portal is lame. He needs to get off his ass and actively pursue that, because right now that is what as happening in college BB. Dont like it but you have to adapt.

Who are you taking scholarships from
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2024, 08:01:58 PM »
We need some bad ass mf'ers, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2024, 08:02:43 PM »
We need some bad ass mf'ers, aina?

I can't argue with that. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2024, 08:03:17 PM »
Assuming TKo and Oso leave and everyone else stays, 12 scholarships accounted for.

I applaud your message board math.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Don_Kojis

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2024, 09:28:19 PM »
Gold will have 3 fouls in the first 12 minutes if he starts next year.  Don't think Sean will be a good starter.  Believe he could be a change of pace for minutes at a time.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2024, 09:43:03 PM »
I wouldn't discount Ben.  The young man has a myriad of skills Papi.  And I believe he can put on some weight and be an extremely effective two way player in the next two years.
Ben occasionally hits an outside shot. Otherwise…?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2024, 10:28:34 PM »

Hope Hamilton can play so they 2 bigs, 
As Ben will have trouble staying on the court, as he is not quick enough and his foot speed is average at best

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2024, 10:40:10 PM »

He's hit a number of timely shots.  He also has shown the ability to put the ball on the floor.  I wouldn't give up on the kid being an excellent player. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2024, 10:45:04 PM »
Sure, but
A) He isn't playing 40 minutes a night
B) I don't want to put all my eggs in the "Ben makes a huge leap" basket

I'm more concerned about what  Dan Hurley said about him.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2024, 10:53:35 PM »
How exactly did Alabama lose Quinerly in July and find a better PG?

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2024, 01:48:55 AM »
If Amadou and Hamilton have eyes they can see that Oso's role is open however that role works far better if the guy can shoot 3's.  Both of them need to be in the gym all summer bulking up and working on shooting.  They should also see Jop's slot as open because he's hit his ceiling and possibly their ceilings are higher.  This team could have 3 guys 6'9 and bigger who rotate effectively to get 15-20 points, 10-15 boards and 2-3 blocks per game.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2024, 07:45:51 AM »
The talk that Shaka avoids the portal is amusing.

He hit the portal hard his first year and that led to the past two seasons.  He poked around the portal last year, knowing that he had very specific needs and couldn't fill it.

I have no doubt that he will be active this year looking for a PG.  Kam is best suited to be off the ball and a secondary ball handler.  Make him your PG, now you need a wing who can shoot.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2024, 07:56:46 AM »
If Kam stays, I don't really see the need for another PG. He can hold it down until Sean is back (which according to him will be late November or December).
We need some size.
Wrong. Kam will wear down too much playing point. He is better off the ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2024, 07:59:37 AM »
You want experienced size.

Gold, Joplin, Hamilton, Amadou, Parham, Owens is plenty of size.
4 of the guys you just mentioned have little or no experience playing at the level MU is competing against.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2024, 08:01:09 AM »

Kam didn’t wear down at all playing point in Tyler’s absence. The ball movement wasn’t as good however.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2024, 08:04:24 AM »
Kam didn’t wear down at all playing point in Tyler’s absence. The ball movement wasn’t as good however.
The hell he didn't. He was gassed in some of those games. And playing point for 6 games is a whole Lotta difference than for say 20 games.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2024, 08:09:48 AM »
The hell he didn't. He was gassed in some of those games. And playing point for 6 games is a whole Lotta difference than for say 20 games.

He was gassed because the back up was a freshman who struggled at times. He will have more reliable back ups next year.

If they choose to put him at point. They may not.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2024, 08:11:04 AM »

Kam did fine filling in as pg because he’s just that talented.  But it isn’t his natural or best position.  I agree with both of your points.  He’s better off the ball and the ball didn’t move as well with him running point.

warriors141

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2024, 08:12:21 AM »
He was gassed because the back up was a freshman who struggled at times. He will have more reliable back ups next year.

If they choose to put him at point. They may not.

who are the more reliable backups?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2024, 08:22:57 AM »
4 of the guys you just mentioned have little or no experience playing at the level MU is competing against.
Hence me saying Pakuni wants experienced size.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2024, 08:24:01 AM »
Hence me saying Pakuni wants experienced size.
Does not compute Mr. Spock.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2024, 08:26:20 AM »
Kam did fine filling in as pg because he’s just that talented.  But it isn’t his natural or best position.  I agree with both of your points.  He’s better off the ball and the ball didn’t move as well with him running point.

Right. And no one is suggesting Kam as the full-time, season-long PG.
But if there's only one scholie to give, I'd
rather see him fill that role for the first month of the season and bring in some reliable size than add another point who may or may not have a significant role by the time conference play arrives.
Obviously this all depends on Sean's health and whether Shaka believes Gold can grow and Amadou is ready.
But given what I see from the outside, a guy who can play in (and more importantly, defend) the post is a bigger need than another ballhandler.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2024, 08:27:25 AM »
Does not compute Mr. Spock.
Computes completely.  Even the part about you not understanding it.

feedback