[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Adopting a Puppy...  (Read 2841 times)

reinko

• All American
Adopting a Puppy...
« on: July 27, 2023, 08:27:30 AM »
The Reinko's are taking the dive and meeting some rescue puppies at our local shelter.  I've done a lot of reading on the type of pup we are looking for, so pretty good in that arena, but open to any and all tips and strategies for preparing the house, things to have on hand, crate or not to crate, brands of food, toys, whatever...

Thanks!

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Adopting a Puppy...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 09:24:38 AM »
The Reinko's are taking the dive and meeting some rescue puppies at our local shelter.  I've done a lot of reading on the type of pup we are looking for, so pretty good in that arena, but open to any and all tips and strategies for preparing the house, things to have on hand, crate or not to crate, brands of food, toys, whatever...

Thanks!

Having a fenced-in backyard will facilitate house breaking your pup, otherwise you'll be looking at 2 or 3 bathroom runs a day, more for a young pup.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 09:26:34 AM »

Thanks!
None of that is important. The name is what is important. I say name it Wojo, so when you hit it with a newspaper (are those still around?) and say Bad Wojo, it may exercise some demons.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 09:40:04 AM »
I'm a firm believer in using a crate until house broken or when leaving the dog home alone if they tend to chew the wrong items etc.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 09:45:04 AM »
Having a fenced-in backyard will facilitate house breaking your pup, otherwise you'll be looking at 2 or 3 bathroom runs a day, more for a young pup.

Fenced yard definitely adds to convenience. But when you want the dog to go, you have to stand there and watch to make sure he/she really went anyway, so not sure about saving time. Otherwise, the dog's just going outside to play and run around; there's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't help housebreak the pup.

We have had 3 puppies over the years, and none of the yards we had were fenced. So yes, we had to stay on high alert for a month or two and put each on a leash and take each for a walk to one of a few spots. Each dog trained pretty quickly, each knew what the purpose of the walk was.

And as a bonus, each was much better on a leash for long walks than our friends' dogs were, as those were just let outside into the backyard to do their business. It also forces one to get up from one's desk or TV and move around.

Secondary bonus: The backyard isn't covered in dog poop. We actually can use our backyard for fun activities or for the kids (and now grandkids) to play in without having to do a poop-gathering mission each time.

Having said all that, yes, a fenced yard is more convenient - especially on rainy or snowy days, when walking the dog is much less fun.

I just threw all this out there so reinko or others don't think, "No fenced yard automatically means no dog."

Thanks!

We crate-trained each of our dogs and each came to like the crate as its "home." Our current dog, whom we've had since 2011, was really really good outside the crate, too, so when she was 3 or so we experimented with leaving her out at night and then when we went on an hour-long grocery run, etc. She was great - didn't chew anything, destroy anything, etc - so we haven't crated her for years now.

Over the years, we have used everything from cheap-ass Pedigree food to pricey designer food and, frankly, haven't seen much difference in the dogs' health. For the last many years we have been using Costco's supposedly premium food, which is far less expensive than the ones from the pet stores and which gets generally good reviews from veterinarians - and the dog seems to like it too.

Over time, your dog will dictate the kind of toys you get her or him. Aggressive/destructive chewers will need different toys than those that just mostly play with the toys. You'll figure it out soon enough.

Fun! We've loved having dogs over the years, and our kids loved having them, too. Congrats, and feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 09:48:35 AM »
Another vote for crate training.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 10:31:36 AM »
Another vote for crate training.

We have 3 dogs, a 15 year old Golden and 2 one year old Labs. Our Labs are in the 100 pound range, while our Golden has lost some weight he is in the 70/80 pound range. My mom over the years have had smaller dogs and all were crate trained. When considering crate training just make sure you have the space for the crate. We just don't have the space for 3 large crates so we opted not to. I know I am the exception having 3 dogs.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 10:42:38 AM »

Thanks!

Props to you reinko and your family.  I will echo a lot of the sentiments of MU82.  I have had two rescue dogs as well as a Dalmatian in my adult life.  My dog now (Gatsby) is a beagle-shep mix that I got from the local humane society.  He clearly  experienced trauma in his early life as he was inordinately skiddish for about 6 months.  He still loathes vacuums and elevators as well as squirrels for some reason. 

As someone who struggles to relax I would say that being patient is extremely important for starters.   Definitely crate-train and have a pretty strict routine overall.   It's not particularly helpful to cuddle them all day as much as they and you might want to.  They must know boundaries and it's a process for sure.  I wouldn't get designer dog food but would introduce them to new foods after some time even if they have no complaints.  I feel like I've had the most success with non-grain but it can be different dog to dog. 

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 10:44:40 AM »
Tried crate training, moved past it quickly, dog allowed to roam anywhere. If you crate train, size it just big enough that the dog can turn around and not much more.

We got a dog when I retired and my kids started high school five years ago. I was home all the time and specifically for the first few weeks. I took Leo out on a regular schedule, we used the bell system. He still uses the bells and also “talks” when he needs food, water, to go outside. Like with my kids, I narrated everything, every time. I’m sure I looked ridiculous, but he now responds to words and actions well…or so it seems. It is essential in my opinion to be around all the time the first few weeks. The downfall, he is definitely attached to me, and I have been asked if my dog is dying or being attacked when I tie him up outside a store and go in. Use treats to train. Growing up my mom always made us take our dogs to obedience class, I didn’t as I was able to be around all the time and have experience.

I use high quality food, usually limited ingredient, limited allergens, high protein, grain free, natural. I like a combo of dry and raw, I like goat milk supplements, too, but neither regularly any more. Choose a good groomer, I like using a harness even though my pup is 13 pounds, find a comfy dog bed…or a giant beanbag apparently.

No matter how much you train them, they chase squirrels. No matter how grumpy you are, they always love you. No matter how much the may annoy you, they bring peace to the soul.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2023, 10:51:28 AM »
We have adopted and fostered numerous dogs. My experience is the 3-3-3 rule is pretty accurate.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2023, 10:54:07 AM »

Thanks!
Crate training is the way to go. Then evolve over time to free range in the house .

Constant stream of toys is key.

Feed at same time each day and Don't feed human food.

Dogs are excellent and loyal friends
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2023, 11:40:08 AM »
MU82 keeps a vat of peanut butter on hand at all times

Also, call Biden
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 11:43:15 AM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2023, 11:53:54 AM »
MU82 keeps a vat of peanut butter on hand at all times

Also, call Biden

Huh??????  WTF??

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2023, 11:59:22 AM »
JB getting double the snark, muggsy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2023, 12:03:06 PM »
JB getting double the snark, muggsy.

I'm lost Tower. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2023, 12:05:10 PM »
If I may suggest some solid sources:

Before and After Getting Your Puppy - Ian Dunbar
The Power of Positive Dog Training - Pat Miller
Culture Clash - Jean Donaldson

99% of everything you'll need to know is in those 3 books. The first one you can download a free pdf online.

We are 5 months into our 3rd puppy. So, everything is fresh again for us. I'd be happy to answer any specifics here or PM
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 12:15:44 PM by jesmu84 »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2023, 12:08:15 PM »
We have adopted and fostered numerous dogs. My experience is the 3-3-3 rule is pretty accurate.

This is pretty spot on.

We rescued, Bruce, a 3 year old Schnoodle 6 years ago.  It took him and us 3 days to acclimate including the bathroom schedule.  We tried to avoid a crate as we never needed for previous dogs, but his actions changed the calculus.  Day 2 he chewed the tops off of seltzer water bottles and dragged the decapitated bottle into the living room.  He had several protein bars and placed the empty wrappers back in the container they were in.  Day 3 he chewed a bunch of special water color markers (the wife is an art teacher) and Jackson Pollacked the hardwood floors with them.  He also killed a minion (key chain) among other chewed items.  I met the wife at Petco on my way home from work for crate shopping.  He also did not get along with the cat and as we learned over time that he doesn't really get along with any animals period.  We assume something from the shelter?  Walking him can be interesting as he gets all Scrappy Doo anytime we pass another dog or if say a coyote or deer or squirrel or chipmunk or bobcat or neighbor's cat wanders by.  Our cat just claimed our basement as her domain and he's afraid of the steps so will never go down.  They keep separated this way and other than him sticking his head into the cat door flap on the basement door it's all quiet.

He's a great dog as he loves people and is complete mush around humans.  My kids are always picking him or he needs to squeeze next to you on the couch or bed.

Best of luck and have fun!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2023, 12:13:18 PM »
This is pretty spot on.

We rescued, Bruce, a 3 year old Schnoodle 6 years ago.  It took him and us 3 days to acclimate including the bathroom schedule.  We tried to avoid a crate as we never needed for previous dogs, but his actions changed the calculus.  Day 2 he chewed the tops off of seltzer water bottles and dragged the decapitated bottle into the living room.  He had several protein bars and placed the empty wrappers back in the container they were in.  Day 3 he chewed a bunch of special water color markers (the wife is an art teacher) and Jackson Pollacked the hardwood floors with them.  He also killed a minion (key chain) among other chewed items.  I met the wife at Petco on my way home from work for crate shopping.  He also did not get along with the cat and as we learned over time that he doesn't really get along with any animals period.  We assume something from the shelter?  Walking him can be interesting as he gets all Scrappy Doo anytime we pass another dog or if say a coyote or deer or squirrel or chipmunk or bobcat or neighbor's cat wanders by.  Our cat just claimed our basement as her domain and he's afraid of the steps so will never go down.  They keep separated this way and other than him sticking his head into the cat door flap on the basement door it's all quiet.

He's a great dog as he loves people and is complete mush around humans.  My kids are always picking him or he needs to squeeze next to you on the couch or bed.

Best of luck and have fun!

LOL.  Bruce is a good boy.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2023, 12:16:18 PM »
I'm lost Tower.

JB is fascinated by the genitalia of male board members and what they do with it.  Some call if projection.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2023, 12:35:31 PM »
JB is fascinated by the genitalia of male board members and what they do with it.  Some call if projection.

Yes, such obsessions (and proclivities) are common among homophobes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2023, 12:39:07 PM »
Crate training is the way to go. Then evolve over time to free range in the house .

Constant stream of toys is key.

Feed at same time each day and Don't feed human food.

Dogs are excellent and loyal friends

What Herm said.  Also, some dogs require lots of exercise.  Their behavior worsens if they aren’t getting enough of it
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2023, 12:41:34 PM »
Muggsy, Biden's dog is alleged to have bitten secret service agents.

According to urban legend, due to dogs' love of peanut butter and their method of eating it, some people will spread peanut butter on their genitalia and let the dog have at it.

JB insinuated, errr, projected that MU82 was one of these people.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2023, 12:45:58 PM »
Muggsy, Biden's dog is alleged to have bitten secret service agents.

According to urban legend, due to dogs' love of peanut butter and their method of eating it, some people will spread peanut butter on their genitalia and let the dog have at it.

JB insinuated, errr, projected that MU82 was one of these people.
Not my fight, but not sure why this wouldnt get JB on the banned list.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2023, 01:45:52 PM »

He already has been.  Even had another poster share a screenshot of his permaban notice.

#persecuted
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2023, 01:50:36 PM »

He has been.   And there is always the ignore function if you just don't feel like reading his posts.