collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Adopting a Puppy...  (Read 2836 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Adopting a Puppy...
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2023, 02:29:05 PM »
Bricky? 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2023, 02:51:22 PM »
Shortlist is Maddy, Nola, Flynn or Miley (so far!)

Many years ago, when our neighbors wanted a dog, the husband agreed on the condition that the dog be named Arthur. A good guess is that he wanted to tell a guy named Arthur "you're a dog", once a common but often good-natured insult, and back it up by telling the guy "we named our dog after you".

The dog they got was a huge, Chesapeake Bay retriever. It was a female, but the agreement stuck. Arthur loved kids and she was a great dog with a distinctive name. When the wife was pulled over for speeding and the cop began lecturing her, first her 4 year old boy started crying loudly, then his 6 year old sister teamed up with him. But when Arthur decided to join in with a very loud, mournful howl, the cop couldn't take any more and said "just slow down lady, OK?"

I know that Scoopers votes do not count, but I like Maddy.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2023, 06:53:52 AM »
I think we could use a break from the Israeli thread Reinko. How about giving us an update on your puppy. Name? I'm guessing you passed on "Arthur" (see above post). You gave us a short list. By now her "personality" should be developed a bit. Are your kids helping out with walking her, especially first thing in the morning and last thing at night? How have you and your family changed since she joined your family?

« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 06:55:50 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2023, 07:55:49 AM »
We got a street dog when we lived in Russia.  Someone found her, and it seemed she had been a pet that someone released, so they posted a lost and found on VK... which soon changed to a "please rescue me", as they couldn't afford to keep her.  We took her for a "test walk" through a busy park and through a kids playground.  She didn't flinch, didn't bark, and when kids approached, she bowed her head to let them pet her.  Knew immediately she was a keeper.  Probably she was about 1... but we don't know.  She still played like a puppy. 

Had no idea what crate training is, but occasionally used a baby gate.  Made "restricted areas" in the house... no kitchen, no bedrooms, but she can roam anywhere else.  That turned out to be very smart.  To this day she won't enter bedrooms, but a move to a new house with open kitchen kind of broke down the kitchen rule. 

My suggestion - and did this with all dogs we've had - never let them poop on "home turf".  Take them to a few designated places where it's OK.  We did this from the start and it makes the yard much more pleasant.  Even when it was -40C, she would walk to her designated place at the end of the street, do her business, and then run home.  Also it seems that with no poop in our yard, other dogs also don't poop here.

Second suggestion - make a special place for her in every room it's OK to be in.  We have one in my office, one in the TV room, one in the car, one in the parents house, etc.  A cushion/blanket/pillow that she can call her own.  This reduces stress.   All of our dogs have liked to be under something... coffee table, stairs, TV stand, desk.  Helps them feel even more secure.  Right now she's under my desk warming my feet!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2023, 08:43:38 AM »
We got a street dog when we lived in Russia.  Someone found her, and it seemed she had been a pet that someone released, so they posted a lost and found on VK... which soon changed to a "please rescue me", as they couldn't afford to keep her.  We took her for a "test walk" through a busy park and through a kids playground.  She didn't flinch, didn't bark, and when kids approached, she bowed her head to let them pet her.  Knew immediately she was a keeper.  Probably she was about 1... but we don't know.  She still played like a puppy. 

Had no idea what crate training is, but occasionally used a baby gate.  Made "restricted areas" in the house... no kitchen, no bedrooms, but she can roam anywhere else.  That turned out to be very smart.  To this day she won't enter bedrooms, but a move to a new house with open kitchen kind of broke down the kitchen rule. 

My suggestion - and did this with all dogs we've had - never let them poop on "home turf".  Take them to a few designated places where it's OK.  We did this from the start and it makes the yard much more pleasant.  Even when it was -40C, she would walk to her designated place at the end of the street, do her business, and then run home.  Also it seems that with no poop in our yard, other dogs also don't poop here.

Second suggestion - make a special place for her in every room it's OK to be in.  We have one in my office, one in the TV room, one in the car, one in the parents house, etc.  A cushion/blanket/pillow that she can call her own.  This reduces stress.   All of our dogs have liked to be under something... coffee table, stairs, TV stand, desk.  Helps them feel even more secure.  Right now she's under my desk warming my feet!

Nice post. The "under something" is prewired into their canine minds- it is better known as "denning instinct". When the bedding becomes, umm, too odiferous, wash only one cover at a time. Having their distinctive scent on their bedding is very important to them, so they may choose an unwashed bed cover in addition to "reconditioning" the laundered one when they have at least two beds.

Calling Reinko. Come in please.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2023, 09:33:57 AM »
Hey everyone!

Things have been going well!  We named her Charley (after my dad who passed about 18 months ago), and she has lots of puppy energy.  Sleeping in her crate amazingly, and not too bad during the day, but she has a 3 hour zoomie window in the late afternoon every single day.

My daughter has been helping out (she is 9), but Charley is still a bit of jumper, but its playful.  My wife is more of the fun and treats kinda parent, while I am a bit more of a disciplinarian, but we love love love her and I think she feels that too.

Thank GAWD we fenced in our backyard, this dog is FAST and may have a future running obstacle courses on ESPN7 at 3am.

Thanks all the support and advice everyone :)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2023, 10:28:08 AM »
Hey everyone!

Things have been going well!  We named her Charley (after my dad who passed about 18 months ago), and she has lots of puppy energy.  Sleeping in her crate amazingly, and not too bad during the day, but she has a 3 hour zoomie window in the late afternoon every single day.

My daughter has been helping out (she is 9), but Charley is still a bit of jumper, but its playful.  My wife is more of the fun and treats kinda parent, while I am a bit more of a disciplinarian, but we love love love her and I think she feels that too.

Thank GAWD we fenced in our backyard, this dog is FAST and may have a future running obstacle courses on ESPN7 at 3am.

Now that is a cute dog.  Those puppy eyes are trouble.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2023, 10:39:38 AM »
We got a street dog when we lived in Russia.

We got a street dog when we lived in Guam. Actually, we got eight street dogs for the price of one...we just didn't know it when we picked her up.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2023, 11:26:15 AM »
Hey everyone!

Aww! Congrats on adding Charley to the family!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2023, 11:45:12 AM »
Congratulations on the new member of your family.  Charley looks like a good one.  Looks like she's gonna be a big dog sooner than you can blink an eye. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2023, 12:57:48 PM »
Hey everyone!

Charley is a great name for her. Arthur's ghost approves. When we got our cat, we chose a name of a departed family member-my grandfather.  My grandfather's name was Casimir but went by Casey. Casey the cat has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

The synergy of puppy/humans is fun to watch. From what you wrote, I know Charley is a very happy puppy and very loved. The fenced yard is a huge plus for both you and her. Glad to hear that you are holding to discipline. Contrary to common beliefs, dogs like to know what you want them to do and are happiest when that is made clear. You are doing Charley and your family a favor.

I'm very happy for you, and also jealous. :D

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2023, 02:58:43 PM »
None of that is important. The name is what is important. I say name it Wojo, so when you hit it with a newspaper (are those still around?) and say Bad Wojo, it may exercise some demons.

My daughter named her chocolate lab "Theo."

All I could think of is, "I have the yelling at Theo down!!!"

Really down!

By the way, Charley is really cute.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 03:03:27 PM by dgies9156 »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2023, 03:38:17 PM »
reinko

That is a great looking dog. Love the name and the story behind it. Enjoy!!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 05:02:04 PM by Goose »

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2023, 11:33:23 AM »
Love all the stories   Dogs really enhance our lives but rule number one for adopting a rescue is to make sure they have been socialized.   That makes life much easier and it is great fun to watch canines play with each other. Good luck

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2023, 01:26:51 PM »
Love all the stories   Dogs really enhance our lives but rule number one for adopting a rescue is to make sure they have been socialized.   That makes life much easier and it is great fun to watch canines play with each other. Good luck

Agree Big Time on socialization, and puppyhood is the time to do it. Group training typically allows at least one "play break" for the pups where they learn to socialize not only with other pups but also humans whom they have just met. Of course, with a lot of pups to play with, humans are understandably of far less interest to them.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2023, 07:39:36 PM »
Charley is a cute dog glad your enjoying her
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback