[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Adopting a Puppy...  (Read 2835 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Adopting a Puppy...
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2023, 01:59:54 PM »
Not my fight, but not sure why this wouldnt get JB on the banned list.

Cut him some slack, he was only potty trained this year.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2023, 02:07:14 PM »
Over the years, we have used everything from cheap-ass Pedigree food to pricey designer food and, frankly, haven't seen much difference in the dogs' health. For the last many years we have been using Costco's supposedly premium food, which is far less expensive than the ones from the pet stores and which gets generally good reviews from veterinarians - and the dog seems to like it too.

I would add that I think grain-free food had a moment, but vets seem to have started recommending against it.  We started my gigantic pup on grain-free, but our vet has been watching the studies about that causing health and heart issues and thinks there is something to it.  He said he recommneds the cheap American brands over grain free.  We split the difference and use Fromm gold.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2023, 02:09:52 PM »
I would add that I think grain-free food had a moment, but vets seem to have started recommending against it.  We started my gigantic pup on grain-free, but our vet has been watching the studies about that causing health and heart issues and thinks there is something to it.  He said he recommneds the cheap American brands over grain free.  We split the difference and use Fromm gold.

I hadn't heard that. Good to know. We fed our pup Pedigree for probably 4 years and she had absolutely no adverse effects.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2023, 02:18:59 PM »

I have not heard this from my vet but thanks for sharing. I think it's highly dependent on the vet's recommendations.    My dog had/has anxieties, allergies, and was underweight when I took him home.  He's done much better with grain-free food. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 02:21:21 PM by MuggsyB »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2023, 02:27:06 PM »

Our youngest doberman had a very sensitive gut when he was young. We tried many different dog foods including grain free but he'd still get sick every few weeks. The breeder suggested American Natural Premium and he's been fine on that for years now.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2023, 03:02:19 PM »
Our former pup ate blue buffalo.

New data shows potential heart issues with grain free.

Current pup is on Purina pro plan.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2023, 03:19:38 PM »
FWIW sightly older dogs often come house trained and can be harder for rescues to adopt out. I understand being set on a puppy, but may want to consider a 2-3 year old as well.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2023, 03:40:10 PM »
FWIW sightly older dogs often come house trained and can be harder for rescues to adopt out. I understand being set on a puppy, but may want to consider a 2-3 year old as well.

Great point, brew. Even dogs younger than 6-12 months old are often available.

We adopted our current dog from the shelter when she was only 3 months old - so she was still a puppy, but some training had already begun. Of the 4 dogs we've had, she was the easiest to get fully housebroken.

Years ago, we bought a puppy from a reputable breeder, and she also was a wonderful dog.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2023, 05:37:35 PM »
unless i missed it in here somewhere...what breed of dog are you getting reinko...it can make a difference in how you train/interact with it. 

i've had labs, airedales, saint bernies, but my absolute favorite is the siberian husky.  we've had 2(all white w/blue steelies) of those and miss them immensely. my son has 2 and they give me my fix.  we would get another one(or two) in a heartbeat but mrs rocket and i travel too much to make it a feasible and we will not subject it to a crate in the bowels of some aircraft
don't...don't don't don't don't

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2023, 06:20:06 PM »

We adopted a 2 year old mutt. A thing to keep in mind is that even if they are house trained, they will likely have several accidents in the first week as they get used to the new environment.  We only got Popeye because another family returned him a week earlier accusing the shelter of lying about him being house trained.  We are glad they did!

Ill also add a vote for crate training. Key is to make sure the dog has a positive association with his kennel. Don't use it as a punishment.  6 years later,  "Kennel" is still Popeyes strongest command. He can be in a tizzy over the amazon driver walking up to the door and as soon as we say kennel, he immediately stops baking and goes to his kennel.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2023, 06:34:19 PM »
unless i missed it in here somewhere...what breed of dog are you getting reinko...it can make a difference in how you train/interact with it. 

i've had labs, airedales, saint bernies, but my absolute favorite is the siberian husky.  we've had 2(all white w/blue steelies) of those and miss them immensely. my son has 2 and they give me my fix.  we would get another one(or two) in a heartbeat but mrs rocket and i travel too much to make it a feasible and we will not subject it to a crate in the bowels of some aircraft

Hey rocket (and y'all),
So the shelter in my area rescued a pregnant mom doggo, and the pups are the immediate concern, and rocket to your question, lab is dominant, but the mom is only about 25 lbs (the size we are looking for), but not sure on the mix.  Not gonna lie, she already seems part of the fam.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2023, 06:43:31 PM »
We have had 2 dogs from puppyhood on and one who was 9 1/2 months old. The advantages of getting a dog 2-3 years old as Brew has suggested that you consider has its merits, as you will know its character (call it personality if you must, but dogs are not persons) and your suitability for each other.

In rooms with rugs, take them up and store them out of the way for a while. Try to keep the pup away from carpeted rooms, as it will almost certainly have an "imperfect" record while being house broken. Citric flavored sprays are available to discourage chewing on furniture, especially table legs. Antique tables legs are often at the greatest risk as their complex surfaces seem to be very interesting to pups and even mature dogs. Have plenty of chew toys.

Most dogs are comfortable with being in a crate for a while, probably due to their denning before their association with humans. A den/crate is a secure and defensible place (canine instinct kicking in), so please do not think of it as being cruel confinement if used from time to time.

Ignore ANY suggestions from anybody to restrict the pup's water to minimize the likelihood of peeing in the house. Pups' kidneys require plenty of water at this stage of their lives.

I strongly suggest going to puppy training classes (when the pup is the right age-talk to a trainer) rather than trying to do it yourself. In addition to the classes being led by professional trainers, the classes include "play time" for the puppies to just be puppies. The social interaction is great for the pups and they learn to get along with others.

Believe the experts when they tell you the importance of you, not the dog, being the leader in your relationship. Every time I see a leashed dog dragging its human, charging well ahead and doing whatever it wants, I know that the relationship is out of whack. You are not being cruel by insisting that your dog behave and follow your commands. Your dog will accept its role and will be more relaxed, happy and assured in a relationship in which you are the leader.

Lastly, whether you get a pup or a mature dog, do everything you can to make time (clear your damn schedule!) to enjoy your first months together. You do not get a second chance. The puppies mature so quickly, so do not let this moment pass you by.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 06:46:45 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2023, 06:57:41 PM »
Hey rocket (and y'all),
So the shelter in my area rescued a pregnant mom doggo, and the pups are the immediate concern, and rocket to your question, lab is dominant, but the mom is only about 25 lbs (the size we are looking for), but not sure on the mix.  Not gonna lie, she already seems part of the fam.

thanks reinko!   good luck with your new mammal!  bravo on the rescue!  our first husky was a rescue of sorts.  a patient of mine couldn't take care of him due to changes in his work schedules and relationship status.  we reluctantly accepted and as jake started to slow down bout age 10, we decided to get another one to give jake someone to pester him; he lived to the age of 16.  tanner lived to the age of 12 and i miss the hell out that guy.  he became my office mascot and kids still ask about him

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2023, 07:05:34 PM »
Hey rocket (and y'all),

She's a good girl!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2023, 09:50:50 PM »

Awww!

Have a great time with your newest kid!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2023, 10:04:10 PM »

How heavy was your St. B rocket? 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2023, 06:04:01 AM »
How heavy was your St. B rocket?

175 LB'er-his name was spanky.  sad story-died when he was 3 years old of congestive heart failure.  he had 3 episodes over his last 6 mos. where he would just go down.  they would drain fluid from around his heart and he was all good-meds etc.  we would kennel him right across the street from our long time veterinarians when vacationing.  he had an episode at kennel, they rushed to vet-drained fluid-returned to kennel and died in his sleep overnight.  we were upnort hayward and it was a long quiet ride home

funny/weird story-we buried his ashes in backyard under what we refer to as our "tree of life".  mrs rocket took a pic of tree during a really brilliant sunset one evening about 2 weeks ago.  in the pic, there appeared to be a definite "orb".  i believe that was my spanky letting us know all is cool

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2023, 06:54:40 AM »
Hey rocket (and y'all),

Congrats! I know that you and your family will make the most of these early days with your puppy. I'm happy for you.

A note on food- ask a vet. Just because a puppy "looks good" whether fed nutritious food or cheap stuff tells you nothing about healthy bone, muscle and organ development. You received a lot of very helpful advice in this thread, but dismissing the importance of proper nutrition is not one of them.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2023, 08:28:45 AM »
   175 LB'er-his name was spanky.  sad story-died when he was 3 years old of congestive heart failure.  he had 3 episodes over his last 6 mos. where he would just go down.  they would drain fluid from around his heart and he was all good-meds etc.  we would kennel him right across the street from our long time veterinarians when vacationing.  he had an episode at kennel, they rushed to vet-drained fluid-returned to kennel and died in his sleep overnight.  we were upnort hayward and it was a long quiet ride home

funny/weird story-we buried his ashes in backyard under what we refer to as our "tree of life".  mrs rocket took a pic of tree during a really brilliant sunset one evening about 2 weeks ago.  in the pic, there appeared to be a definite "orb".  i believe that was my spanky letting us know all is cool

Omg, that's just awful.   Newfies and St. B's are the best  but they have short life spans.  I may have mentioned Zeus, my childhood dog (Newf) who also tipped the scales in Spanky's range.   He would block the door when I had to go off to school!   Those breeds are such gentle and sweet dogs.  And have no idea how strong or large they are.  RIP Zeus and Spanky.  :(
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 09:00:03 AM by MuggsyB »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2023, 08:33:26 AM »

Heart problems at a young age? Did he get the jab?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2023, 12:48:40 PM »
Hey rocket (and y'all),

Does this cute puppy have a name yet?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2023, 01:03:08 PM »
Omg, that's just awful.   Newfies and St. B's are the best  but they have short life spans.  I may have mentioned Zeus, my childhood dog (Newf) who also tipped the scales in Spanky's range.   He would block the door when I had to go off to school!   Those breeds are such gentle and sweet dogs.  And have no idea how strong or large they are.  RIP Zeus and Spanky.  :(

thanks muggs-yeah, you know the big dogs.  they had that innate desire to protect people

jesmu-love the humor-you did mean that to be funny, right?   ;)

the late great charles krauthammer had one of the best comments about dogs

"dogs make us better people'

reinko

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2023, 02:08:45 PM »
Does this cute puppy have a name yet?

Shortlist is Maddy, Nola, Flynn or Miley (so far!)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2023, 02:16:14 PM »
Scoopy?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2023, 02:28:10 PM »
Scoopy?