'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 NCAA Tournament Bracketology  (Read 82796 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: 2024 NCAA Tournament Bracketology
« Reply #500 on: March 08, 2024, 12:16:27 PM »
He took Bo’s team (literally, as Bo retired mid season) to the Sweet 16.

I’d give Gard a lifetime contract at Madison as an MU fan. Guaranteed to be good enough to make the Tournament just about every year, but will hardly ever scare anyone come March.

Totally fine with MU losing to them and going on to be one of the 10 best teams in the country every year.

And you keep ignoring that an MU vs. UW second round game isn’t going to happen.

I don't know every bracketology rule, but there are so many potential rematches for MU in the 6/7 and 10/11 range with half of the 10/11 lines seemingly a Big East School or Michigan State. UW and Texas in the 6/7 range.

I recall Marquette playing Syracuse in the 2nd round in 2011 as a Conference game. There are always ways it could happen even if unlikely. And yes, I'd sign up for Gard at UW forever as an MU fan too.
VIOLENCE!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #501 on: March 08, 2024, 12:18:15 PM »
Not Gard so much as the system Gard took over. As bad as that guy can be at coaching and recruiting, upon a quick glance, he is 6-5 in the NCAA Tournament with a trip to the Sweet 16. System works.

What better way to assure they don't advance than to get a crack at them ourselves though?

We can’t beat them
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #502 on: March 08, 2024, 12:25:24 PM »
I recall Marquette playing Syracuse in the 2nd round in 2011 as a Conference game. There are always ways it could happen even if unlikely. And yes, I'd sign up for Gard at UW forever as an MU fan too.

That was because 11 teams from the Big East got in.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #503 on: March 08, 2024, 12:29:12 PM »
I can see it now - Marq beats UConn in the Final Four and Bucky in the Championship. 

You certainly are the Nostradamus of Marquette basketball...

Marquette has never played UW in the NCAA Tournament and (to my knowledge) have never played the same team 4 times in 1 season.

My bold prediction is that one of those 2 things is no longer true after this season.

That was a random prediction from October. Both things could be in play, but playing UConn 4 times would also mean nothing but good things. I'd love to see that!

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #504 on: March 08, 2024, 12:39:20 PM »
If MU plays in Indy, the crowd advantage will be determined by how Purdue fans respond. I’m sure they have snapped up as many tickets there as possible because of the absolute certainty that the Boilers will be playing there.

If they got knocked off by a 16 seed again Sunday tickets could be cheap.

FWIW, Purdue fans were the nicest, most cordial away fans of any away MU game, I’ve been to.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #505 on: March 08, 2024, 12:47:31 PM »
FWIW, Purdue fans were the nicest, most cordial away fans of any away MU game, I’ve been to.

I wouldn’t expect them to be hostile toward Marquette or vociferously support their opponent like Kentucky fans supported Murray State in Louisville in 2012. That was nasty.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #506 on: March 08, 2024, 12:54:43 PM »
I've seen about 3 or so brackets this morning where Marquette and UW-Madison would meet in RD2 as the 3/6 matchup.

Seems like a matchup the committee would LOVE to see happen.

Maybe we could even get UW-Milwaukee in Rd. 1.

Lol had a feeling this draw would get posts.

ESPN Bracketology Updated Friday  March 8th by Joe Lunardi. Marquette is listed as a Pod 3 Seed playing 14 Seed Vermont in Indianapolis. With the winner playing the winner of 6 Seed Wisconsin and 11 Seed Indiana St In the Midwest Detroit Region.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #507 on: March 08, 2024, 12:57:10 PM »

Purdue fans are good people.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #508 on: March 08, 2024, 01:04:58 PM »
We can’t beat them

There are two teams I don’t want to face.
St John’s in the BET. St John’s in the NCAA. We may beat them twice. Neither are good for Tyler’s aching body going forward. They have something to prove. To him. Bring on anyone and everyone else. I honestly hope Shaka sits a healthy Tyler if we draw SJU in the opener.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #509 on: March 08, 2024, 01:29:26 PM »
I don't know every bracketology rule, but there are so many potential rematches for MU in the 6/7 and 10/11 range with half of the 10/11 lines seemingly a Big East School or Michigan State. UW and Texas in the 6/7 range.

I know you are wishcasting this matchup but no there are not "so many potential rematches for MU in the 6/7 range"

The current projected 6/7 seeds are South Carolina, Wisconsin, Utah State, Dayton, Florida, Texas Tech, Gonzaga. Only one of those is a potential rematch. If you extend out to the current projected 5/8 seeds, it's San Diego State, BYU, Clemson, Washington State, Nevada, Boise State, Texas, and Colorado State. 8 more teams, only 1 more potential rematch.

Marquette played Syracuse in 2011 when the Big East got a record 11 teams into the tournament. Even then, Marquette was matched up for a potential rematch with Syracuse because Marquette was the lower seed in round 1, committee was hoping that a rematch would be avoided because we were supposed to lose in the first round. They avoided putting two higher seeds in line for a round two rematch.

You're not going to make fetch happen.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 01:37:31 PM by TAMU, Knower of Ball »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #510 on: March 08, 2024, 01:31:09 PM »
I know you are wishcasting this mathup but no there are not "so many potential rematches for MU in the 6/7 range"

The current projected 6/7 seeds are South Carolina, Wisconsin, Utah State, Dayton, Florida, Texas Tech, Gonzaga. Only one of those is a potential rematch. If you extend out to the current projected 5/8 seeds, it's San Diego State, BYU, Clemson, Washington State, Nevada, Boise State, Texas, and Colorado State. 8 more teams, only 1 more potential rematch.

Marquette played Syracuse in 2011 when the Big East got a record 11 teams into the tournament. Even then, Marquette was matched up for a potential rematch with Syracuse because Marquette was the lower seed in round 1, committee was hoping that a rematch would be avoided because we were supposed to lose in the first round. They avoided putting two higher seeds in line for a round two rematch.

Facts don’t matter much to him

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #511 on: March 08, 2024, 01:54:22 PM »
I know you are wishcasting this matchup but no there are not "so many potential rematches for MU in the 6/7 range"

Speaking of the projected 6 and 7 seeds mentioned above, does anyone have opinions based on matchups which teams you would see as good or bad matchups for MU, or that you see as more desirable or dangerous opponents.

It seems there are often complaints after the bracket is announced that MU got a bad draw and it would be interesting to hear in advance who fans would like to avoid:

The 8 teams in alphabetical order are:
Dayton
Florida
Gonzaga
St. Mary’s
Texas Tech
Utah State
Washington State
Wisconsin

I include Wisconsin even though the Committee reportedly tries to avoid rematches of regular season games in the second round.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 01:55:54 PM by wisblue »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #512 on: March 08, 2024, 01:54:40 PM »
Not UW.  They’re going to the Final 4.  Gard gets it done in March
Plus Gard owns Shaka
Goal is National Championship

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #513 on: March 08, 2024, 01:57:54 PM »
We can’t beat them

We absolutely can beat them

I don't care who we play. The goal remains the same. Win. I recall some on here not too long ago wanting to avoid UWGB in a potential RD1.

Lol.
VIOLENCE!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #514 on: March 08, 2024, 01:59:04 PM »
We absolutely can beat them

I don't care who we play. The goal remains the same. Win. I recall some on here not too long ago wanting to avoid UWGB in a potential RD1.

Lol.

We do. 

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #515 on: March 08, 2024, 02:10:21 PM »
We do.

Ok. 

There are matchups that some may not want like UW or MSU, or as I said a few weeks ago, Nebraska to avoid their first ever tournament run potential.

I admittedly was worried about getting picked off last year because it seemed like everything went right all season.

Now that we are here in March...I really don't care who we play. I just want it to start. I trust Oso and Tyler in a win or go home setting with the relationships they've built and the leaders they are.

Go time!
VIOLENCE!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #516 on: March 08, 2024, 02:14:27 PM »
It seems there are often complaints after the bracket is announced that MU got a bad draw and it would be interesting to hear in advance who fans would like to avoid:

Avoid St. Mary's!

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #517 on: March 08, 2024, 02:17:28 PM »
We fear Vermont in the first round.

Speaking of the projected 6 and 7 seeds mentioned above, does anyone have opinions based on matchups which teams you would see as good or bad matchups for MU, or that you see as more desirable or dangerous opponents.

Dayton
Florida
Gonzaga
St. Mary’s
Texas Tech
Utah State
Washington State
Wisconsin

I include Wisconsin even though the Committee reportedly tries to avoid rematches of regular season games in the second round.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #518 on: March 08, 2024, 02:21:06 PM »
Ok. 

There are matchups that some may not want like UW or MSU, or as I said a few weeks ago, Nebraska to avoid their first ever tournament run potential.

I admittedly was worried about getting picked off last year because it seemed like everything went right all season.

Now that we are here in March...I really don't care who we play. I just want it to start. I trust Oso and Tyler in a win or go home setting with the relationships they've built and the leaders they are.

Go time!

Bullet dodged with Radford losing in the Big South Quarterfinals right?
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #519 on: March 08, 2024, 02:56:46 PM »
Bullet dodged with Radford losing in the Big South Quarterfinals right?

No. We wouldn't have beta them by 30+ as it was not the 1st game of the season.
VIOLENCE!

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #520 on: March 08, 2024, 03:55:10 PM »
I think we're resigned to a 3 (with 4 talk) too early.

Awhile back I said 2 UCONN losses + CR away loss + loss in BET Semis or sooner = 3. With wins everywhere else.

So its all happened except the BET.  I say we make the finals and maybe have a shot at UC. But in any case: We get a 2.

2 or 3 its not really going to be a big deal but a 2 would be nice.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #521 on: March 08, 2024, 04:16:34 PM »
I wouldn’t expect them to be hostile toward Marquette or vociferously support their opponent like Kentucky fans supported Murray State in Louisville in 2012. That was nasty.

We eliminated the 2003 Kentucky team and they never forgot Wade's triple double.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #522 on: March 08, 2024, 04:29:28 PM »
A win tomorrow would be another Q1 win.

If that were to happen I see no way they don't deserve that 2 seed.
VIOLENCE!

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #523 on: March 08, 2024, 04:31:25 PM »

Dayton
Florida
Gonzaga
St. Mary’s
Texas Tech
Utah State
Washington State
Wisconsin

Florida, Gonzaga, St. Mary’s and Wazzu are all top 100 offensive rebounding teams.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #524 on: March 08, 2024, 05:44:55 PM »

Dayton
Florida
Gonzaga
St. Mary’s
Texas Tech
Utah State
Washington State
Wisconsin

Florida and Gonzaga are the two in thatb group I would prefer to avoid.  We can beat both at full strength but Florida is elite on the boards and Gonzaga will be undereseeded whereever they end up
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback