[Today at 04:47:29 PM]

Big Week for Markus by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:54:58 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by Skatastrophy
[Today at 11:55:47 AM]

Men's Basketball Scholarships Increases to 15 in 2025-26 by bilsu
[Today at 11:52:47 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 NCAA Tournament Bracketology  (Read 82827 times)

HowardsWorld

• All American
Re: 2024 NCAA Tournament Bracketology
« Reply #475 on: February 29, 2024, 12:49:28 PM »
Who has it tougher?

Obviously Purdue. They play juggernaut Wisconsin at home.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #476 on: February 29, 2024, 02:04:17 PM »
I believe this is the rule:
Teams are spread out according to conference. The first three teams within the top 4 seeded lines selected from each conference must be placed in different regions  When a conference has more than three teams in the tournament, the committee tries to seed the teams so that they cannot meet until the regional final.
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2023-03-09/how-field-68-di-mens-teams-picked-march-madness-each-season

Unless they have changed it this year it’s the first FOUR teams from a conference that are in the first 4 seed lines that are placed in different regions.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #477 on: March 01, 2024, 08:11:05 AM »
Who has it tougher?
UCF (ISU, Houston, TCU)

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #478 on: March 01, 2024, 10:31:52 AM »
Bracketology experts:

Wondering about potential impacts of Kolek's injury, should it linger up to or through Selection Sunday.  What're the historical precedents in terms of how that impacts seeding?  My recollection is that losses get discounted if a key player was missing but will be back for the tournament, but if there is question about whether that player will not be available for the tournament itself, that the committee will more seriously take into account the team's performance without that player.  What examples are there from previous years about teams that had a key contributor go down with a significant but not definitive injury late in the season?  TIA.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #479 on: March 01, 2024, 10:33:54 AM »
Kenyon Martin comes to mind.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #480 on: March 01, 2024, 10:34:35 AM »
Bracketology experts:

Wondering about potential impacts of Kolek's injury, should it linger up to or through Selection Sunday.  What're the historical precedents in terms of how that impacts seeding?  My recollection is that losses get discounted if a key player was missing but will be back for the tournament, but if there is question about whether that player will not be available for the tournament itself, that the committee will more seriously take into account the team's performance without that player.  What examples are there from previous years about teams that had a key contributor go down with a significant but not definitive injury late in the season?  TIA.

It will likely depend on how much it impacts our play. If we lose our next four and look bad doing so, I could see us getting knocked down a line. If we lose to Creighton and UConn but beat Xavier and win our first BET game before falling in the semis, I think we still end up as a 2-seed. It might change our region, but won't likely impact our first weekend destination. Going to dig into that more later today.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #481 on: March 01, 2024, 01:01:33 PM »
ESPN Bracketology Updated Friday March 1st by Joe Lunardi. Marquette is listed as a Pod 2 Seed playing 15 Seed Oakland in Indianapolis. With the winner playing the winner of 7 Seed Boise St  and 10 Seed Wake Forest In the Midwest Detroit Region.

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #482 on: March 04, 2024, 10:03:58 AM »
It will likely depend on how much it impacts our play. If we lose our next four and look bad doing so, I could see us getting knocked down a line. If we lose to Creighton and UConn but beat Xavier and win our first BET game before falling in the semis, I think we still end up as a 2-seed. It might change our region, but won't likely impact our first weekend destination. Going to dig into that more later today.

If we lose to UCONN at home and lose to anyone other than UCONN in the BET in the Semis or earlier - we're a 3.  Said this a long time ago.....thats not out on a limb.

The only hedge is that the CR loss (and potentially UC loss#2) would be without 1 or 2 of our best. That fact might get some reconsideration in the room.

Of course the 1 seed is gone. I don't care that much, lets beat UCONN regardless!

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #483 on: March 05, 2024, 04:10:08 PM »
ESPN Bracketology Updated Tuesday  March 5th by Joe Lunardi. Marquette is listed as a Pod 2 Seed playing 15 Seed Sam Houston in Indianapolis. With the winner playing the winner of 7 Seed Dayton and 10 Seed Oklahoma In the Midwest Detroit Region.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #484 on: March 05, 2024, 04:19:01 PM »
ESPN Bracketology Updated Tuesday  March 5th by Joe Lunardi. Marquette is listed as a Pod 2 Seed playing 15 Seed Sam Houston in Indianapolis. With the winner playing the winner of 7 Seed Dayton and 10 Seed Oklahoma In the Midwest Detroit Region.

I'd like that very much. Only thing is dayton falls into the category of the ncaa always screws over Marquette by putting us closer to potential opponents
Maigh Eo for Sam

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #485 on: March 05, 2024, 04:30:16 PM »
I'd like that very much. Only thing is dayton falls into the category of the ncaa always screws over Marquette by putting us closer to potential opponents

Yup, absolutely sign me up.

Dayton is fine, but they are not a strong defensive team metrically and they don’t rebound great.

It would be the Oso versus Daron Holmes show down low- both 6’10ish and from Arizona. That kid averages 20&8, but I doubt he’s faced a lot of mobile elite defensive guys his size like Oso. Is Holmes on projected first rd draft boards?

Also, I may be wrong on this but I’m not sure their fanbase travels as good as ours. Where’s that one poster from Dayton to verify?

PS- Brew usually posts something about his “ideal versus not so ideal” type of opponent for the NCAAt, hopefully he does that again.
Busy times for him.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #486 on: March 05, 2024, 04:33:54 PM »
Yup, absolutely sign me up.

Dayton is fine, but they are not a strong defensive team metrically and they don’t rebound great.

It would be the Oso versus Daron Holmes show down low- both 6’10ish and from Arizona. That kid averages 20&8, but I doubt he’s faced a lot of mobile elite defensive guys his size like Oso. Is Holmes on projected first rd draft boards?

Also, I may be wrong on this but I’m not sure their fanbase travels as good as ours. Where’s that one poster from Dayton to verify?

PS- Brew usually posts something about his “ideal versus not so ideal” type of opponent for the NCAAt, hopefully he does that again.
Busy times for him.

He actually faced Oso back in high school. Granted a lot has changed, but this did happen.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #487 on: March 05, 2024, 04:58:03 PM »
If MU plays in Indy, the crowd advantage will be determined by how Purdue fans respond. I’m sure they have snapped up as many tickets there as possible because of the absolute certainty that the Boilers will be playing there.

If they got knocked off by a 16 seed again Sunday tickets could be cheap.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #488 on: March 08, 2024, 10:07:54 AM »
I've seen about 3 or so brackets this morning where Marquette and UW-Madison would meet in RD2 as the 3/6 matchup.

Seems like a matchup the committee would LOVE to see happen.

Maybe we could even get UW-Milwaukee in Rd. 1.
VIOLENCE!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #489 on: March 08, 2024, 10:09:22 AM »
I've seen about 3 or so brackets this morning where Marquette and UW-Madison would meet in RD2 as the 3/6 matchup.

That'd be wild. Probably the closest thing to a college state tournament we'd ever get
Maigh Eo for Sam

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #490 on: March 08, 2024, 10:22:59 AM »

As much crap as this board talks about Bucky. This is something they never want to see. If Bucky beat them again this board would be in nuclear melt down mode that I don’t think we have seen before.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #491 on: March 08, 2024, 10:25:51 AM »

This has been explained to you,  the committee would only do that if there were a ton of other conflicts that forced it.  This is exactly a matchup the committee is hoping to avoid.

If you see brackets where this is a second round matchup it either means the person who put it together doesn't know the rules or doesnt realize that MU and UW play each other every year.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #492 on: March 08, 2024, 10:27:13 AM »
As much crap as this board talks about Bucky. This is something they never want to see. If Bucky beat them again this board would be in nuclear melt down mode that I don’t think we have seen before.

It'd be a crapshow for sure but I don't think it'd top the big 3 of:

Buzz leaves (still the most active users on at the same time)

Done Deal

Hausergate
Maigh Eo for Sam

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #493 on: March 08, 2024, 10:29:29 AM »
That'd be wild. Probably the closest thing to a college state tournament we'd ever get

Marquette has never played UW in the NCAA Tournament and (to my knowledge) have never played the same team 4 times in 1 season.

My bold prediction is that one of those 2 things is no longer true after this season.

That was a random prediction from October. Both things could be in play, but playing UConn 4 times would also mean nothing but good things. I'd love to see that!
VIOLENCE!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #494 on: March 08, 2024, 10:41:05 AM »

COLE!

but yeah.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #495 on: March 08, 2024, 10:58:40 AM »
COLE!

but yeah.

Would we rather UW or Michigan State in the 2nd round?
VIOLENCE!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #496 on: March 08, 2024, 11:07:08 AM »
Would we rather UW or Michigan State in the 2nd round?

Not UW.  They’re going to the Final 4.  Gard gets it done in March
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #497 on: March 08, 2024, 12:01:20 PM »

Not Gard so much as the system Gard took over. As bad as that guy can be at coaching and recruiting, upon a quick glance, he is 6-5 in the NCAA Tournament with a trip to the Sweet 16. System works.

What better way to assure they don't advance than to get a crack at them ourselves though?
VIOLENCE!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #498 on: March 08, 2024, 12:08:53 PM »
Not Gard so much as the system Gard took over. As bad as that guy can be at coaching and recruiting, upon a quick glance, he is 6-5 in the NCAA Tournament with a trip to the Sweet 16. System works.

What better way to assure they don't advance than to get a crack at them ourselves though?

He took Bo’s team (literally, as Bo retired mid season) to the Sweet 16.

I’d give Gard a lifetime contract at Madison as an MU fan. Guaranteed to be good enough to make the Tournament just about every year, but will hardly ever scare anyone come March.

Totally fine with MU losing to them and going on to be one of the 10 best teams in the country every year.

And you keep ignoring that an MU vs. UW second round game isn’t going to happen.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Viper

• All American
« Reply #499 on: March 08, 2024, 12:13:48 PM »
Shaka can’t beat Wisconsin and Gard knows ball