[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP Pat Robertson  (Read 3646 times)

tower912

• All American
RIP Pat Robertson
« on: June 08, 2023, 07:59:34 AM »
RIP
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
Re: RIP Pat Robertson
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 08:05:03 AM »
In before the lock

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 08:15:43 AM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 08:17:40 AM »
Tower,

You magnificent bastard
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 08:23:18 AM »
 ;D
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 09:39:21 AM »
I respect Mr Robertson for building his religious empire from a background of being broke.

https://apnews.com/article/pat-robertson-dead-christian-broadcasting-700-club-91299d0953c014ca6860fe545cac793e
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2023, 09:42:03 AM »
I respect Mr Robertson for building his religious empire from a background of being broke.

https://apnews.com/article/pat-robertson-dead-christian-broadcasting-700-club-91299d0953c014ca6860fe545cac793e

One of the world’s greatest grifters.  Incredible discipline is required in a con that goes that long.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2023, 09:43:04 AM »
Building a "religious empire."

Just as Jesus intended.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2023, 09:47:29 AM »
Wherever he is, at least he's safe from hurricanes and earthquakes.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2023, 12:24:45 PM »
Wherever he is, at least he's safe from hurricanes and earthquakes.
But not from raging fires
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2023, 12:46:27 PM »
The Rev. Robertson pioneered something that had been done locally but never before on a national basis:

Make religion into a global corporate entity. Before, most Protestant religions were the equivalent of storefront grocery stores. The Rev. Robertson was the guy who invented the religious version of Kroger for the Protestant set (Catholicism was the Walmart of Christianity!).

Sure Billy Graham came before the Rev. Robertson. The Rev. Graham's vice was hubris. He was more interested in being "pastor to the presidents" than he was in profiting off religion. He needed money but, in the Rev. Graham's defense, money was what it was supposed to be in a religion: a means to spread the word.

Nope, it's the Rev. Robertson that taught how profitable God could be. He, in turn, beget Jerry Falwell, Jim and Tammy Fae Bakker, Jimmy Swaggert and Joel Osteen. All had their own way of making millions. I think their message was, "If Rome can do it, why can't I?" What distinguishes them from Rome is the Catholic Church is the largest NGO provider of social services in the world.

As a Roman Catholic, ex-Southerner who grew up in the buckle of the bible belt, I always found the Rev. Robertson and Jerry Falwell entertaining. Sadly, there were way too many people who put their faith in the hands of these comedic swindlers.

Robertson and Falwell in particular were the modern day versions of the Bishops, Priests and Monks who sold indulgences back in the middle ages.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2023, 01:13:53 PM »

Nope, it's the Rev. Robertson that taught how profitable God could be. He, in turn, beget Jerry Falwell, Jim and Tammy Fae Bakker, Jimmy Swaggert and Joel Osteen. All had their own way of making millions. I think their message was, "If Rome can do it, why can't I?" What distinguishes them from Rome is the Catholic Church is the largest NGO provider of social services in the world.

Your are really going to piss off the anti-Catholics here with facts like that.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2023, 02:34:52 PM »
Your are really going to piss off the anti-Catholics here with facts like that.

Dur hur altar boys dur hur hur.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2023, 02:39:41 PM »
What distinguishes them from Rome is the Catholic Church is the largest NGO provider of social services in the world.

Curious as to your source for this info.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2023, 03:13:34 PM »
Curious as to your source for this info.
https://www.humanrightscareers.com/issues/biggest-ngos-in-the-world/

In 2021, CRS reached 193 million people in 116 countries. That includes providing over USD 75 million in cash and vouchers for displaced people in Gaza; restoring 503,096 acres of land in Central America; and helping 221,396 children and adolescents with HIV get treatment. CRS’ total operating revenue was USD 1,191,928 in 2021. 93.5% is spent on program services with 6.5 spent on support services like fundraising and general administration.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2023, 03:24:32 PM »
The Rev. Robertson pioneered something that had been done locally but never before on a national basis:

Make religion into a global corporate entity. Before, most Protestant religions were the equivalent of storefront grocery stores. The Rev. Robertson was the guy who invented the religious version of Kroger for the Protestant set (Catholicism was the Walmart of Christianity!).

Sure Billy Graham came before the Rev. Robertson. The Rev. Graham's vice was hubris. He was more interested in being "pastor to the presidents" than he was in profiting off religion. He needed money but, in the Rev. Graham's defense, money was what it was supposed to be in a religion: a means to spread the word.

As a Roman Catholic, ex-Southerner who grew up in the buckle of the bible belt, I always found the Rev. Robertson and Jerry Falwell entertaining. Sadly, there were way too many people who put their faith in the hands of these comedic swindlers.

Robertson and Falwell in particular were the modern day versions of the Bishops, Priests and Monks who sold indulgences back in the middle ages.
I had some profitable business dealings with Dr . Falwell in the early days of Liberty University. Was a very smart guy and always had fair dealings with him.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2023, 03:28:03 PM »
I had some profitable business dealings with Dr . Falwell in the early days of Liberty University. Was a very smart guy and always had fair dealings with him.

So, you got grifted.  Call me.  I have some business proposals

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2023, 03:41:10 PM »

In 2021, CRS reached 193 million people in 116 countries. That includes providing over USD 75 million in cash and vouchers for displaced people in Gaza; restoring 503,096 acres of land in Central America; and helping 221,396 children and adolescents with HIV get treatment. CRS’ total operating revenue was USD 1,191,928 in 2021. 93.5% is spent on program services with 6.5 spent on support services like fundraising and general administration.

I'm not sure that really answers, but thanks for the info.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2023, 03:46:13 PM »

Kind of interesting that you claim they are the largest, but when you click the link you provided, CRS is listed #7.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2023, 03:46:54 PM »
There is it. MUFINY everywhere, with everyone, all the time.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2023, 04:32:56 PM »

Kind of interesting that you claim they are the largest, but when you click the link you provided, CRS is listed #7.
That article doesn't say which one is the largest. Those are not any kind of rankings

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2023, 04:57:54 PM »

Your jealousy is palpable, 🐷🐷.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2023, 05:06:08 PM »

I've come to respect Herm's commitment to the bit. He's Scoop's Andy Kaufman.
(Coming soon: A post about that time Herm had drinks with Andy Kaufman.)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 05:09:10 PM by Pakuni »

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2023, 05:18:07 PM »
That article doesn't say which one is the largest. Those are not any kind of rankings

Huh. Yeah it says “what are the largest” but then describes 15 of them by number. Weird.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2023, 05:29:18 PM »

Hopefully he wasn’t with Jerry when Jerry and his mom made that visit to the outhouse