[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Eliminating Senior Week  (Read 3596 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Marquette Eliminating Senior Week
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2023, 08:30:46 PM »
Would a motivation for this change be to have a separate weekend from UWM? I think they moved graduation to Saturday this year.

MurphysTillClose

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2023, 08:37:43 PM »
A theme of having fun. Imagine being this guy.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2023, 08:40:00 PM »
Sultan, if MU admin is worried about MU kids being drunk, they shouldn’t have applied for jobs at MU.

That’s the culture.  Deal with it. 

You’re not gonna ever be Nova or Georgetown. 

YOURE IN MILWAUKEE. 

This is who you are. 

I can’t believe the # of texts I have gotten from disgusted alums tonight.  And all I am is a former MUSG (nee ASMU) VP. 

Not a lot of happy alums.  Based on my constituency, this could be worse than Warriors.  There’s zero explanation, zero rationale. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

panda

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2023, 08:41:46 PM »
I’m noticing a theme in this topic.

And one that’s not really giving Marquette reason to second-guess this decision.

And the human rain delay weighs in…

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2023, 08:50:31 PM »
I think the bigger issue, at least for next year, is that for some reason all of the hotels in Downtown are crazy high for the new graduation weekend. 

Does anyone know what is going on the weekend of May 10th of next year?
Have some patience, FFS.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2023, 08:57:31 PM »
Sultan, if MU admin is worried about MU kids being drunk, they shouldn’t have applied for jobs at MU.

YOURE IN MILWAUKEE. 

This is who you are. 

I can’t believe the # of texts I have gotten from disgusted alums tonight.  And all I am is a former MUSG (nee ASMU) VP. 

Not a lot of happy alums.  Based on my constituency, this could be worse than Warriors.  There’s zero explanation, zero rationale.

Alums are Warrior-level mad over the cancelation of an event not intended for them?
That's weird

Maybe it's age, maybe it's alcohol, but until this thread today I had entirely forgotten there was such a thing as senior week.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2023, 09:00:04 PM »
Quote from: Pakuni link=topic=64821.msg1553631#msg1553631 [b
[/b]date=1685066251]
Alums are Warrior-level mad over the cancelation of an event not intended for them?
That's weird

Maybe it's age, maybe it's alcohol, but until this thread today I had entirely forgotten there was such a thing as senior week.

Were you a Delta Chi?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2023, 09:28:41 PM »
Were you a Delta Chi?

No.
Were you Triangle?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2023, 10:33:39 PM »
No.
Were you Triangle?

Lol, at least we agree there.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2023, 07:06:57 AM »
That's weird

Kind of like when old men debate abortion rights.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2023, 07:50:50 AM »

YOURE IN MILWAUKEE. 

This is who you are. 

Look, I had a great time senior week.  I completely get why students and alumni are like "WTF is going on here?"

But think about it from Marquette's perspective. What benefits do they get from seniors sticking around an extra week, many of whom are still in University owned housing, where many aren't engaging at all in University sponsored events?  Honestly, I can't think of many.  But I can think of all sorts of risks.  Which is why colleges and universities have been ditching senior weeks for years.

I have no idea why alums would be mad this. Why would they even care? "Worse than Warriors?"  Gimme a break. In a couple of years this will be long forgotten.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2023, 07:55:05 AM »
That's weird

I guaranty you those who say "I no long support my alma mater because they got rid of senior week," weren't really supporting their alma mater much to begin with.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2023, 08:22:10 AM »
Sultan you're not the first person in higher learning to suggest the housing issue.  But how many senors are in housing?  And also...

What benefits do they get from seniors sticking around an extra week, many of whom are still in University owned housing, where many aren't engaging at all in University sponsored events? 

Marquette is asking people to pay $45,766 annually for something they could get down the street for half the price...Senior Week creates memories and offers an opportunity to close our your years with people who have helped form you and you may never see again.  Certainly won't see them in this setting again.  It was a piece of MU that made MU special.  We cannot continue to strip out these little things that make us unique.   

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2023, 08:24:53 AM »
Sultan you're not the first person in higher learning to suggest the housing issue.  But how many senors are in housing? 

MU owned housing? Probably the ones that go to the school sponsored events. Not many
Bring back FFP!!!

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2023, 08:25:07 AM »
I’m noticing a theme in this topic.

And one that’s not really giving Marquette reason to second-guess this decision.

If students getting drunk is a reason to cancel something, Marquette and most every other university should just close. News flash, students weren’t waiting until senior week to party.

But for many, it will be the last time they see many of their friends, and hang with them in a stress free environment, the last time they get to be completely care free for the next 40 years or so.
But you are happy that’s taken away from them. Scrooge would be proud.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2023, 08:31:11 AM »
Marquette is asking people to pay $45,766 annually for something they could get down the street for half the price...Senior Week creates memories and offers an opportunity to close our your years with people who have helped form you and you may never see again.  Certainly won't see them in this setting again.  It was a piece of MU that made MU special.  We cannot continue to strip out these little things that make us unique.

You have summarized in one paragraph why higher education struggles with change. Esoteric and fuzzy reasoning for continuing to do what you have always done, and claiming something is unique or a tradition, when it is likely neither.

Nobody attends Marquette v. UWM because of a senior week - if so, that is a very dumb reason to attend one place over another.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2023, 09:10:52 AM »
Sultan you're not the first person in higher learning to suggest the housing issue.  But how many senors are in housing?  And also...

The Campus Towns are lousy with seniors.

Marquette is asking people to pay $45,766 annually for something they could get down the street for half the price...Senior Week creates memories and offers an opportunity to close our your years with people who have helped form you and you may never see again.  Certainly won't see them in this setting again.  It was a piece of MU that made MU special.

None of this wrong. But unfortunately, none of it counters Sultan's point. No one is going to stop coming to Marquette because they don't offer a senior week. There is no benefit to Marquette to continue senior week (but there is non-negligible risk). There is an enormous benefit to Marquette students and it sucks that they are losing it, but they are the consumers, not the producers. As long as this doesn't stop consumers from coming, what benefit is there to the producer?

People keep asking for universities to run more like businesses. This is what that looks like. It's not all thinning out support staff, it's also about sacrificing the unique in the name of efficiency and fiscal responsibility.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2023, 09:32:46 AM »
This week, we've added two new entities to the people that hate Marquette list. The food service industry, and Marquette.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2023, 09:50:23 AM »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2023, 10:38:39 AM »
I think the bigger issue, at least for next year, is that for some reason all of the hotels in Downtown are crazy high for the new graduation weekend. 

Does anyone know what is going on the weekend of May 10th of next year?

A Taylor Swift concert?

I'm going through this now.  Headed to Cincinnati July 4th weekend to finish moving the kid out of her apartment and there are no hotel rooms available and the rare rooms that are available are like $400+ per night.  Had to investigate and found out T. Swift is playing Friday & Saturday at the Bengals stadium.  Yikes.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2023, 10:52:20 AM »
A Taylor Swift concert?

I'm going through this now.  Headed to Cincinnati July 4th weekend to finish moving the kid out of her apartment and there are no hotel rooms available and the rare rooms that are available are like $400+ per night.  Had to investigate and found out T. Swift is playing Friday & Saturday at the Bengals stadium. 
Yikes.

Mother’s Day weekend?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2023, 10:55:29 AM »
Mother’s Day weekend?
MAMS
Mothers Against Marquette Seniors
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 12:08:56 PM by lawdog77 »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2023, 11:45:02 AM »
People keep asking for universities to run more like businesses. This is what that looks like. It's not all thinning out support staff, it's also about sacrificing the unique in the name of efficiency and fiscal responsibility.

Any expenditures on Senior Week were negligible.

Let's call a spade a spade. It's about MU not wanting a full week of drinking on campus after finals.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2023, 11:51:08 AM »

Let's call a spade a spade. It's about MU not wanting a full week of drinking on campus after finals.

In retrospect, Barstool live streaming the scavenger hunt may have been a bad thing.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2023, 01:25:20 PM »

Let's call a spade a spade. It's about MU not wanting a full week of drinking on campus  water street. North ave, 3rd ward, Brady St after finals.

Fify