[Today at 09:40:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2023 PGA Championship Thread  (Read 3932 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2023 PGA Championship Thread
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2023, 08:00:55 PM »
china paying you??  and i thought they were out of line for giving all that money to president magoo and his family.  maybe you should tell them your friends of the big guy and his ever so brilliant artist offspring   

you are funding china by watching the NBA, buying apparel, shoes, etc.  and all of the human rights abuses they are committing to this day

As are you.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2023, 08:05:05 PM »
??

China isn’t “paying you”? Of course not . Neither are the Saudis. You’re paying them and they pay the NBA. Just like people pay the Saudis and they pay the golfers. Or we pay the Saudis for oil now that we’ve decided energy independence isn’t important.

No, the Saudi’s are paying individual golfers and using them to get a seat at the table.  They now have it.  LIV is dead.  They used those golfers greed to their benefit.  They have no interest in “growing the game”.  It’s a toy for them
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2023, 08:21:55 PM »

China isn’t “paying you”?

"paying you?"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2023, 09:10:55 PM »
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 09:26:34 PM by Lennys Tap »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2023, 09:21:35 PM »
??

China isn’t “paying you”? Of course not . Neither are the Saudis. You’re paying them and they pay the NBA. Just like people pay the Saudis and they pay the golfers. Or we pay the Saudis for oil now that we’ve decided energy independence isn’t important.

If oil/gas/etc corporations in the US decide it's against their financial interest/shareholder value to pump more oil/gas/etc, what should be done?

Is energy independence a national security risk?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2023, 09:22:23 PM »
No, the Saudi’s are paying individual golfers and using them to get a seat at the table.  They now have it.  LIV is dead.  They used those golfers greed to their benefit.  They have no interest in “growing the game”.  It’s a toy for them

A seat at the table? As the leader of OPEC they’ve had a seat at the table for quite awhile. A $$$ infusion by definition grows the game. And sports have been a toy for the very rich since before you were born. Your naïveté amazes me.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2023, 09:27:05 PM »
Money is fungible. And a lot of it comes from dubious places. Are you mourning the NBA being in bed with China? Boycotting Apple and all other things produced there? If not, spare me.

I thought being American I was allowed to have a particular grudge against the guys who did 9/11 without having to answer for China and the Uyghurs.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2023, 09:32:57 PM »
A seat at the table? As the leader of OPEC they’ve had a seat at the table for quite awhile. A $$$ infusion by definition grows the game. And sports have been a toy for the very rich since before you were born. Your naïveté amazes me.

MBS is exactly like Jerry Reinsdorf and Dan Rooney, or something.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 06:52:58 AM by Pakuni »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2023, 10:17:57 PM »
I thought being American I was allowed to have a particular grudge against the guys who did 9/11 without having to answer for China and the Uyghurs.

Burrow

Of course you’re allowed to hold whatever grudges you choose. But to my knowledge it’s never been proven that the Saudi government orchestrated the 9/11 attacks. OTOH, the China/Uyghur situation is certainly government policy.

Look, I’m no fan of the Saudi government - but the fact is we (as a country and as individuals) do plenty of business with bad actors. Your, mine or anyone else’s outrage isn’t going to change it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2023, 04:44:32 AM »
I don’t necessarily disagree with you Lenny, but Monahan shouldn’t have used that excuse only to take money from them a year later. That’s what bothers me the most. Using people like the 9/11 families to your benefit, only to drop them when the $$$ got too big.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2023, 07:13:29 AM »
I don’t necessarily disagree with you Lenny, but Monahan shouldn’t have used that excuse only to take money from them a year later. That’s what bothers me the most. Using people like the 9/11 families to your benefit, only to drop them when the $$$ got too big.

No doubt, Monahan speaks out of both sides of his mouth. If I’m a player or fan I’d stop worrying about Mickelson, Norman, etc., and direct any vitriol towards him.

I wish that all sports had more insightful leadership. But they don’t. And in spite of it, the games of golf, baseball, football and basketball at all levels is fine. If people want to boycott, that’s fine too.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 07:26:40 AM by Lennys Tap »

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2023, 08:37:12 AM »
Burrow

Of course you’re allowed to hold whatever grudges you choose. But to my knowledge it’s never been proven that the Saudi government orchestrated the 9/11 attacks. OTOH, the China/Uyghur situation is certainly government policy.

Look, I’m no fan of the Saudi government - but the fact is we (as a country and as individuals) do plenty of business with bad actors. Your, mine or anyone else’s outrage isn’t going to change it.

Thanks for the reasoned response, Lenny.  I do agree with your post and recognize that the bolded is especially relevant.  But as folks have mentioned in the golf thread, its also relevant that the Saudi government is now the exclusive investor in golf, whereas the NBA has "just" had a mealy mouthed response to China because of its huge market.  So I don't think its necessarily hypocritical to have a much harsher personal response to golf than to the NBA.  They are just different situations.  Ultimately, as you allude to, the House of Saud is willing to burn so much money that they could buy a sport, play to completely empty stadiums, and not give a hoot.

feedback