[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The State of MU’s Campus  (Read 7177 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: The State of MU’s Campus
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2023, 09:20:19 AM »
The "already paid for" meals are much more expensive than $5.  I can't think of a single friend of mine who stayed on a meal plan beyond the required freshman and sophomore years.  The dining halls were brutally bad, too.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2023, 10:15:18 AM »
Would not surprise me that MU wants a monopoly on food options on or near campus....it is big money with what they charge for meal plans.

It is a big loss for students.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2023, 10:18:50 AM »
Yes. That's why the bars are empty every weekend.

;D
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2023, 11:06:57 AM »
Sounds like we have some scoopers that are interested in opening up a hot dog stand at 10pm on campus.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2023, 11:12:25 AM »
Sounds like we have some scoopers that are interested in opening up a hot dog stand at 10pm on campus.

In all honesty, Milwaukee would be better if they relaxed the laws around street food. It's a travesty that's it's so hard to find a late night brat. Should be a cart on every corner.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2023, 11:12:57 AM »
In all honesty, Milwaukee would be better if they relaxed the laws around street food. It's a travesty that's it's so hard to find a late night brat. Should be a cart on every corner.

I absolutely agree, I'll fund it if you staff it!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2023, 12:01:24 PM »
I don't know if it is still true, but when Glow and Chick Jr were on campus, there were food trucks on a semi-regular basis.  As a matter of fact, Pita Brothers started out as a wildly popular food truck on campus.  They opened up a brick and mortar location next to Walgreens, and I don't think it lasted more than a year or two.
Have some patience, FFS.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2023, 12:05:06 PM »
Would not surprise me that MU wants a monopoly on food options on or near campus....it is big money with what they charge for meal plans.

It is a big loss for students.

Is it? Or is that just nostalgia.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2023, 12:07:54 PM »

Totally false.  Marquette does not have the monopoly on campus.  Sodexo does.  Their agreement with Marquette gives them that.  If it is some sort of official function on campus, you are required to order all of your food and drinks from Sodexo. 

My daughter was in charge of a pancake breakfast fundraiser for her sorority's charity, and she was not allowed to hold it on campus unless they bought all the food from Sodexo.  That would have meant little or not profit, so they wound up having it in the common area of a nearby apartment building (the Marq before the school purchased it) so they could make their own pancakes and buy juice, syrup, etc. from Costco.

TL;DR - Marquette has no stake in making on-campus food a monopoly.
Have some patience, FFS.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2023, 12:16:48 PM »
TL;DR - Marquette has no stake in making on-campus food a monopoly.

Of course they do. The contract with any food vendor becomes more valuable to Marquette the more projected business is provided on campus.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2023, 12:50:00 PM »

Food trucks won't be allowed on Water Street after 1 a.m. under proposed legislation

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2023, 01:58:04 PM »
The "already paid for" meals are much more expensive than $5.  I can't think of a single friend of mine who stayed on a meal plan beyond the required freshman and sophomore years.  The dining halls were brutally bad, too.

Yep. As you pointed out, required meal plan for all freshman and sophomore. So over half of the undergraudate student population has already sunk money into a meal plan that now gives them already paid for meals. You see how that could impact food businesses on campus.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2023, 02:06:15 PM »
Yes. That's why the bars are empty every weekend.

Have you been to the bars on campus recently? They are a lot less full than they were when I was there a little over a decade ago and based on the stories peddled around here they are  less full than when the old timers were on campus. There's also less of them.

Also, drinking culture is another thing competing for students limited disposable income, another hurdle for private food businesses near campus to overcome.

I believe it would. Park on the street near the bars between 10 and 2 on Friday and Saturday night. That's the whole point of food trucks, being mobile and hitting the hotspots.

And yet they don't. Maybe it's not as hot of a spot as you might think.

There's no conspiracy here, there are very obvious economic reasons why restaurants near campus are struggling.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2023, 02:18:57 PM »
College age and new grads don't drink as much or as frequently as older people do. It's a pretty interesting culture shift with this generation.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2023, 02:19:58 PM »
Have you been to the bars on campus recently? They are a lot less full than they were when I was there a little over a decade ago and based on the stories peddled around here they are  less full than when the old timers were on campus. There's also less of them.

Also, drinking culture is another thing competing for students limited disposable income, another hurdle for private food businesses near campus to overcome.

And yet they don't. Maybe it's not as hot of a spot as you might think.

There's no conspiracy here, there are very obvious economic reasons why restaurants near campus are struggling.

The younger drinker is still prevalent in Wisconsin but dropped dramatically nationally.  It’s still there but not nearly what it was.  The sin industry is very nervous about the future
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2023, 02:32:57 PM »
I agree that the food on campus is a major snooze, but the food truck conversation highlights that this is all just a free market problem isn't it?  If a food truck can't turn a profit being in campus during the boom times, its not surprising that a non-franchise restaurant can't turn a profit either.  And if there is even the chance of redeveloping property the University owns, I certainly wouldn't want to jump into a 10-year, low margin lease with Ziggy, or the guy who ran Gyros, or the China Garden people, or whoever else, either.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2023, 04:43:39 PM »
College age and new grads don't drink as much or as frequently as older people do. It's a pretty interesting culture shift with this generation.

Nerds!!!
Bring back FFP!!!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2023, 05:01:59 PM »
Nerds!!!

Counterpoint: It's because they're all on weed, Molly and fentanyl.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2023, 05:40:24 PM »
Very broad assumption. Not your style. I mean....how do you know this? All of them are broke? I'm guessing this is implied teal.

Dat's write. Sum are privileged, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2023, 06:59:51 AM »
Also, Marquette owns that entire block on the south side of Wells between 16th and 17th.
My guess is that they intentionally let those leases lapse because they want to redevelop it.

So will Real Chili end up looking like the house in the movie “Up” or would MU really have the stones to knock it down?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2023, 08:20:34 AM »
So will Real Chili end up looking like the house in the movie “Up” or would MU really have the stones to knock it down?

Of course they will knock it down. But it's not like Real Chili has been there forever. That's its third location near campus. Originally, it was right on Wisconsin. Then I believe it was on the other side of Wells.

What I would hope is that they would help Chili relocate, including offering some other University-owned space.
Have some patience, FFS.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2023, 09:29:56 AM »

Knock it down but be sure to get a toxic waste clean-up permit first.

The grease from that place is a serious public health hazard.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2023, 09:42:49 AM »
Sodexo has made it clear: “if anyone is making MU kids sh1t their brains out on a weekend morning, it should be us, not Real Chili.”
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2023, 03:54:19 PM »
Knock it down but be sure to get a toxic waste clean-up permit first.

The grease from that place is a serious public health hazard.

What the eff is wrong with you???   ;D

Please, don't answer!!!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2023, 08:06:11 AM »
What the eff is wrong with you???   ;D

Please, don't answer!!!

Ask my wife. She has a better perspective on that question and isn’t afraid to tell you!

If she won’t answer, ask Newsdreams!