collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurants and their "use" of salt  (Read 5216 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Restaurants and their "use" of salt
« on: May 21, 2023, 07:42:54 PM »
This has always driven me up the wall and well before I knew my blood pressure was too high.  When I go out to eat I almost always request low salt or no salt depending on what I order.  As someone who enjoys an array of dishes I fully understand that seasoning is vitally important and that some things require the use of salt to start or finish the cooking process. I have no problem whatsoever with salting the proper amount and do so when I cook pretty much anything.

What I strongly object to, and I believe this is an epidemic, insane, a health catastrophe, and makes food taste terrible is when restaurants take a bucket of salt and drop it in your food.  WTF is going on?

So the other night at a fine San Francisco eating establishment, when I ordered mussels in the traditional butter, wine, garlic, fennel, shallot, preparation, I never considered that I should assume they will salt it like I was ordering a baked potato at Outback. 

What on earth is going on with this and why are restaurants trying to kill people?  Has anyone actually measured how much salt they use relative to what they should use?  This absolutely needs to stop and people must wake up if we care about our health.  Plus, it makes the food inedible.  I simply do not get it. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 07:49:06 PM by MuggsyB »

forgetful

• All American
Re: Restaurants and their "use" of salt
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 07:58:05 PM »
This has always driven me up the wall and well before I knew my blood pressure was too high.  When I go out to eat I almost always request low salt or no salt depending on what I order.  As someone who enjoys an array of dishes I fully understand that seasoning is vitally important and that some things require the use of salt to start or finish the cooking process. I have no problem whatsoever with salting the proper amount and do so when I cook pretty much anything.

What I strongly object to, and I believe this is an epidemic, insane, a health catastrophe, and makes food taste terrible is when restaurants take a bucket of salt and drop it in your food.  WTF is going on?

So the other night at a fine San Francisco eating establishment, when I ordered mussels in the traditional butter, wine, garlic, fennel, shallot, preparation, I never considered that I should assume they will salt it like I was ordering a baked potato at Outback. 

What on earth is going on with this and why are restaurants trying to kill people?  Has anyone actually measured how much salt they use relative to what they should use?  This absolutely needs to stop and people must wake up if we care about our health.  Plus, it makes the food inedible.  I simply do not get it.

I have never been to a fine dining restaurant where they over-salted food. Sounds like you went to a bad restaurant, or you should have sent the food back.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 08:04:47 PM »
Apparently, you have never read the book Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat.

Most trained chefs consider salt to be an essential flavor ingredient.  If you don't want any in your food, mention that when you order.
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 08:05:05 PM »

1)  salt Bae
2) salted manatee is delicious.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 08:09:42 PM »
Unless you have a diagnosed kidney pathology, there is no reason at all to worry about salt in your diet.

Oral salt intake, through diet, will have negligible effects for any healthy adult.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2023, 08:10:33 PM »
I have never been to a fine dining restaurant where they over-salted food. Sounds like you went to a bad restaurant, or you should have sent the food back.

I didn't send it back because everyone else seemed to enjoy their food.  Fine Dining I suppose can be subjective  but this was a $150-200 a pop joint.  Anyway, I was not pleased. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2023, 08:12:06 PM »
Apparently, you have never read the book Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat.

Most trained chefs consider salt to be an essential flavor ingredient.  If you don't want any in your food, mention that when you order.

I didn't write salt wasn't an essential ingredient, it's called over-salting.  Why am I being attacked?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2023, 08:13:41 PM »
BIG SALT has too much influence in America's kitchens.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2023, 08:13:58 PM »
Attacked?

That’s kinda salty of you, Muggs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2023, 08:28:01 PM »
Salt is the cheapest "spice" a chef can use. So, they feel obligated to use it liberally and often, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

panda

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2023, 08:30:19 PM »
Agree muggs - too much salt ruins meals.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2023, 08:31:04 PM »
I hope we do compression socks next.  Or maybe the best reading glasses.

panda

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2023, 08:36:56 PM »
I hope we do compression socks next.  Or maybe the best reading glasses.

I’m sure the poindexters here will figure out a way to turn even those mundane topics into a dick measuring contest.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 08:41:13 PM by panda »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2023, 08:38:43 PM »
Agree muggs - too much salt ruins meals.

I think the discussion should be all restaurants, I shouldn't have highlighted my particular experience.  Imo too much salt is a problem everywhere.though. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2023, 08:41:55 PM »
I think the discussion should be all restaurants, I shouldn't have highlighted my particular experience.  Imo too much salt is a problem everywhere.though.

1000% agree

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2023, 08:59:20 PM »
I’m sure the poindexters here will figure out a way to turn even those mundane topics into a dick measuring contest.

That's racist.

panda

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2023, 09:09:16 PM »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2023, 09:26:14 PM »
Why am I not at all surprised that Muggsy has high blood pressure?

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2023, 09:35:23 PM »
Maybe some scoop advice for
Metamucil or Depends next?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2023, 10:40:20 PM »

An oversalting anywhere is a threat to proper seasoning everywhere.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2023, 11:53:59 PM »

Muggsy:
I was advised by Mayo Clinic to drastically reduce my Sodium in take. I am targeting  about 500 mg a day . Sometimes I go over a little as some foods have naturally occurring sodium, such as egg whites . 

I agree with you, these restaurants put way too much salt in their meals.

I try to Have clean proteins and steamed or raw vegetables

I make my own food at home and use spices such as ginger , turmeric , garlic coriander and cumin. I had to cut back on pepper due to acid reflux

I have found the chefs are very willing to work with my no salt requests. Some actually come out and talk to me about my meal.  Last nigh, in Alaska I had some excellent halibut and steamed vegetables. Had a outstanding salad with salt free blueberry dressing .

I generously tip the wait staff .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2023, 11:57:40 PM »
Don’t go to Carnevor.  Milwaukee’s most overrated restaurant oversalts everything. You’ll die.   

All the food tastes the same.  Salt.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2023, 04:19:47 AM »
An oversalting anywhere is a threat to proper seasoning everywhere.
RESTAURANTS HAVE THE RIGHT TO USE SALT AS THEY PLEASE. Its in the 11th amendment.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2023, 06:35:07 AM »
I blame manatees for living in salted water.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2023, 07:14:42 AM »
Muggsy:
I was advised by Mayo Clinic to drastically reduce my Sodium in take. I am targeting  about 500 mg a day . Sometimes I go over a little as some foods have naturally occurring sodium, such as egg whites . 

I agree with you, these restaurants put way too much salt in their meals.

I try to Have clean proteins and steamed or raw vegetables

I make my own food at home and use spices such as ginger , turmeric , garlic coriander and cumin. I had to cut back on pepper due to acid reflux

I have found the chefs are very willing to work with my no salt requests. Some actually come out and talk to me about my meal.  Last nigh, in Alaska I had some excellent halibut and steamed vegetables. Had a outstanding salad with salt free blueberry dressing .

I generously tip the wait staff .

Herman , enjoy your vacation!  Hopefully you can snag some King 🦀 up there!  Ya, I'm having a hard time understanding how all this sodium is good for anyone.   Again, I'm not saying no salt at all but I have found what they do at a sizeable percentage of restaurants is seriously whacked. 

feedback