[Today at 09:40:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tipping the Delivery Guy (with an MU twist)  (Read 2792 times)

Badgerhater

• All American
Tipping the Delivery Guy (with an MU twist)
« on: April 10, 2023, 07:30:30 AM »
Interesting story on tipping the Door Dash driver with an MU mention

https://dnyuz.com/2023/04/09/388-in-sushi-just-a-20-tip-the-brutal-math-of-uber-eats-and-doordash/

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Tipping the Delivery Guy (with an MU twist)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 12:54:10 PM »
If you can’t afford to tip at least 20% at a restaurant or a delivery driver, cook yourself or pick the order up yourself.

I just don’t understand how people can go out to places and not tip their server.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 01:01:52 PM »
Ignorance.  Superiority complex.  Though, in my experience the two frequently go hand in hand.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 01:16:53 PM »
Tipping should be illegal.

The gig economy is bad for everyone.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 01:49:07 PM »
I've always tipped on the higher side.  I do think it's getting a little ridiculous though.  Having 20% now as the minimum amount you're expected to tip is pretty crazy.

I also never really know what to do with carryout.  I'll give smaller tip for that, but the employee isn't serving me like if I'm dining in.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 01:54:13 PM »
If you can’t afford to tip at least 20% at a restaurant or a delivery driver, cook yourself or pick the order up yourself.

I just don’t understand how people can go out to places and not tip their server.

If we're talking tipping at a restaurant, yes I agree.

But percentages when we're talking delivery (Uber Eats, Door Dash, etc...) is silly.  When I was in NYC, I would tip according to weather, distance, etc...  Especially since many of those delivery people were on bikes or what not.  In the burbs, its more distance based.

But the idea that you would tip a delivery driver $5-10 on couple pizzas or sandwiches that is $50 but you should tip them $100 cause you got $500 worth of sushi is stupid to me.

Also, again people tipping a dollar or two, much less stiffing the driver, are garbage, but the idea that you should be getting a fat tip just cause its a nice house is also BS, IMO.  People with means have the ability to tip more, and if they do, thats great.  But its stupid to shame someone for "only" tipping $20 cause they have a nice house in a wealthy area. 

But I'm also all for higher restaurant prices/server salaries and no tipping as well.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 02:48:41 PM »
I've always tipped on the higher side.  I do think it's getting a little ridiculous though.  Having 20% now as the minimum amount you're expected to tip is pretty crazy.

I also never really know what to do with carryout.  I'll give smaller tip for that, but the employee isn't serving me like if I'm dining in.

It was 15% standard, 20% for great service, less for bad service.
I don't know who universally decided it's higher all of a sudden?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 03:17:24 PM »

Ever since I started going out with my friends (and not on my parents dime) My minimum has always been 20%

Even if it’s god awful service I still won’t go below 20% cause it’s likely not the servers fault. Backed up kitchen, bad management understaffing, etc. not fair to punish the server for that.

Plus even if it is on the server, we’ve all had bad days.

I absolutely judge people who are bad tippers even my friends, pet peeve of mine forsure.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 03:18:56 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 03:57:09 PM »

And that was for someone who took your order, brought your drinks to your table , brought your food to your table, and checked on you for everything else you might need during your meal.

Recently I went to a counter service place where I had to find my own table, walk up to the counter to order my food, and then had to return to pick up my meal.  When I paid at the time of ordering, the choices for tip percentage on the screen started at 20%.  All the person behind the counter did was touch a couple of buttons on the IPad to enter my order and flip it around so I could add a tip.

In my mind, that's not "service".
Have some patience, FFS.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 04:03:36 PM »
Agreed.  I'm all for 20%++ for full service, but I'm not giving 20% to the guy who takes my money for a takeout order, or the guy who opens my two $14 cans of beer at the Fiserv Forum.  Those guys get a coupla bucks.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 04:11:27 PM »

And that was for someone who took your order, brought your drinks to your table , brought your food to your table, and checked on you for everything else you might need during your meal.

Recently I went to a counter service place where I had to find my own table, walk up to the counter to order my food, and then had to return to pick up my meal.  When I paid at the time of ordering, the choices for tip percentage on the screen started at 20%.  All the person behind the counter did was touch a couple of buttons on the IPad to enter my order and flip it around so I could add a tip.

Exactly!

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 04:38:12 PM »

Are those tips split amongst the cooks/kitchen staff? That’s the assumption I’ve always made, but you know what they say about making assumptions.

I doubt the person behind the counter is keeping the 20%.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2023, 04:40:41 PM »
Are those tips split amongst the cooks/kitchen staff? That’s the assumption I’ve always made, but you know what they say about making assumptions.

I doubt the person behind the counter is keeping the 20%.

When did tipping start covering everyone that works in the restaurant?
Have some patience, FFS.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2023, 04:48:03 PM »
When did tipping start covering everyone that works in the restaurant?
I don’t know if it does or doesn’t.  Thought that was pretty clear.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2023, 05:04:26 PM »

Tipping shouldn't be illegal.

Being allowed to pay employees less because they can make it up in tips should be illegal.

I believe we're the only country where tipping is this common of a practice. It's really just a tactic to transfer the cost of labor from companies to customers.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2023, 05:36:12 PM »
During the pandemic, I was ok with all the "new" tipping. 

Now, I'm boycotting back to the old rules.   Sit-down restaurants, bars, taxi/ubers, yes. 

Everywhere else, no.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2023, 06:12:27 PM »

Well to do, college educated prat gatekeeping people trying to get by. 

Story at 11, available on YouTube.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2023, 07:22:19 PM »

Now, I'm boycotting back to the old rules.   Sit-down restaurants, bars, taxi/ubers, yes. 

Everywhere else, no.

I don’t know about others, but prior to the advent of Ubers I had stopped standard tipping in cabs for awhile.  Terrible, if not shady, service.  Games to rise up fares or avoid having a customer pay with card, etc…. The capper was a cabbie, circa 2010, give my friend and I a $13 ride from Lincoln Park to Lakeview one night.  My friend asked for change on $20 and the driver was aghast and then became irate and called him a cheap piece of crap…for not just giving him the $20 and calling it a day.  This is the night after another friend was swore at and chased from a cab for insisting on using a credit card cause he didn’t have $30 in cash.  I still would tip a few dollars on good rides, and still do elsewhere when I take a decent cab.  But it was in no way the expectation like tipping at a restaurant.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2023, 11:57:05 AM »

Everywhere else, no.

I endorse this philosophy.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2023, 02:05:50 PM »
Well to do, college educated prat gatekeeping people trying to get by. 

Story at 11, available on YouTube.

Nope. I want the businesses/companies to pay their employees a full living wage

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2023, 05:24:48 PM »
Nope. I want the businesses/companies to pay their employees a full living wage

Companies don’t force people to work for them.

Anyway, some countries don’t tip… ifvv bc we should follow their gun laws, should we follow their tipping etiquette as well?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2023, 10:01:05 PM »
Tipping shouldn't be illegal.

Being allowed to pay employees less because they can make it up in tips should be illegal.

I believe we're the only country where tipping is this common of a practice. It's really just a tactic to transfer the cost of labor from companies to customers.

People who work hard and are really good in service industries LOVE the tipping system. People who mail it in? They hate it.

I’m a generous tipper, 20% is my floor for even mediocre to poor service, considerably more for good to outstanding. Want less good/great and more mediocre/poor? Stop incentivizing good/great. Do you really think a waiter/waitress, barber, cabbie, etc.,  should be paid based on their “experience” rather than their effort or ability? You’re the one being served - be generous and reward it, especially when it’s good.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2023, 11:21:41 PM »
People who work hard and are really good in service industries LOVE the tipping system. People who mail it in? They hate it.

I’m a generous tipper, 20% is my floor for even mediocre to poor service, considerably more for good to outstanding. Want less good/great and more mediocre/poor? Stop incentivizing good/great. Do you really think a waiter/waitress, barber, cabbie, etc.,  should be paid based on their “experience” rather than their effort or ability? You’re the one being served - be generous and reward it, especially when it’s good.

So you agree, it's a tactic to transfer the cost of labor from the companies to consumers?

Companies are the ones profiting off their employees. Be generous and reward it, especially when it's good.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 11:28:46 PM by TAMU, Knower of Ball »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2023, 07:38:01 AM »
So you agree, it's a tactic to transfer the cost of labor from the companies to consumers?

Companies are the ones profiting off their employees. Be generous and reward it, especially when it's good.

The tipped minimum wage isn't a tactic by companies, it's the law in most states. California has a living wage for restaurant workers so are consumers expected to tip at 20% still or should we just round up like in Europe? 

I am fine with either but just pick one knowing that a living wage isn't all that attractive to many sit down restaurant or bar service workers.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2023, 08:00:02 AM »
My son just bought a pair of fancy schmancy Jordan 4s at a sneaker shop in Miami. When he put my credit card in, he was promoted to add a tip akin to at a cafe. It caught me off guard, but the salesperson was awesome, my son loved talking shoes with him, so he tipped him.

The tipping economy is a tough one. As a long time server in my previous life, I LOVED the stack of cash I always had, and I was able to somewhat control what I was making. As a long time restaurant/s owner in my previous life, the tip credit law made it easier on the bottom line. Now, I always paid more, and did not take advantage of the lower wage by having servers do other jobs, however, it does open up potential exploitation.

Good servers made bank, poor servers didn’t. Where we often had an issue was the non-tipped employees who were busting their rears watching the servers take in the cash. That’s why I kind of liked the tip credit law as I could pay the non-tipped employees substantially more. I always paid my dishwashers handsomely, for example, they make everything tick.

I understand how the tipping system seems to shift the onus onto the customer, if you take it away, service goes down, prices go up and the customer will still shoulder the responsibility. That’s business. People generally want affordable food, service, products, that comes with a cost. Just depends on who you want to benefit.