[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wrightsil enters portal  (Read 3745 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Wrightsil enters portal
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 11:07:14 AM »
Gosh, I had forgotten that he even got minutes in 3 of the first 4 games.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 11:08:22 AM »
Wish we would've been able to see if he could eat some glass for this past year's team.  Hope he does well wherever he lands next year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 11:23:29 AM »
Was a guy I thought would contend for the minutes that Joplin ultimately got, wish the best for him. Needs a waiver to get one more year eligibility, should go to a mid major to get minutes and hopefully set himself up for a nice overseas career

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 11:44:42 AM »
Something is 100% in the works. I think we may see an impact addition.

Still no guarantee Oso and OMax are back...BUT Wrightsil departed knowing Itejere was gone.

Would have been a perfect scenario for Wrightsil to stay and finish his final season. Clearly Marquette has a target in mind to fill that spot which is why Wrightsil is departing.
VIOLENCE!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 11:59:08 AM »
Really bummed that he never got the chance to play healthy for us. Think he could have been a key missing piece for us. I hope he gets fully healthy season at a high major for his last year.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 11:59:53 AM »
Sultan is devastated.   Wrightsil worked so hard to work his knee.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 12:23:30 PM »
Bummer.  Seems like a top notch kid.  Wish him all the best, and hope he lands somewhere he can have a big impact. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 03:41:15 PM »
Wish we would've been able to see if he could eat some glass for this past year's team.  Hope he does well wherever he lands next year.

Agree. Hard to miss something you never really had, though.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 04:15:54 PM »
Agree. Hard to miss something you never really had, though.

I would bet there is one or two players liked what they saw from Shaka and MU, I think he can be picky

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 04:36:22 PM »
Something is 100% in the works. I think we may see an impact addition.

Still no guarantee Oso and OMax are back...BUT Wrightsil departed knowing Itejere was gone.

Would have been a perfect scenario for Wrightsil to stay and finish his final season. Clearly Marquette has a target in mind to fill that spot which is why Wrightsil is departing.

An impact addition means an impact departure. Nobody that got major minutes this year will lose their minutes to some transfer.

If Omax departs, I think Joplin just naturally steps in. If Oso departs, they may look for a high level transfer.

Ideally, they just bank that scholarship and focus on the long list of talented kids they’re after in 2024.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 04:38:32 PM by CountryRoads »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 04:44:22 PM »
BC

There is no doubt that the style of play and Shaka opened up the eyes of a lot of kids in it there. I felt that way last year, and will double down on that take after this season.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2023, 04:50:38 PM »
An impact addition means an impact departure. Nobody that got major minutes this year will lose their minutes to some transfer.

If Omax departs, I think Joplin just naturally steps in. If Oso departs, they may look for a high level transfer.

Ideally, they just bank that scholarship and focus on the long list of talented kids they’re after in 2024.

I think its all about how you position it to the player(s). Take the "5" as an example. Oso has amazing game. HOWEVER, rebounding is not part of that game. Now Shaka should go find a big bodied, glass eater. He can promise both players an average of 20 mins per games, but it can fluctuate on situational match ups, foul trouble, injury, who's "hot" etc.

In addition, we'll be a legit top 15 team next year (assuming there are no additional departures) and will be defending two conference titles, and looking for a deep run in the tournament.

I think there will be a good number of players that would buy into this sales pitch.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2023, 05:00:54 PM »
It is going to be interesting to see how Shaka navigates the portal this season. If he thinks he is losing a big gun, he cannot wait. If the core is back, getting an impact portal guy is in the eye of the beholder. An impact player with the core back looks far differently than replacing a big core guy.

I have little doubt that Shaka will plenty of options for either scenario. Getting kids to play at MU has become a lot easier over the past two years.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2023, 05:01:42 PM »

Not necessarily if the player is a player like OMax was. Impact transfer doesn't necessarily mean immediate impact.  Guys develop at different paces.

If we got a guy that played a chunk of minutes and developed into an OMax type I'd consider that impact.

VIOLENCE!

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2023, 05:04:44 PM »
I think an impact addition could be a big man who is not a star but has had a role at a major program and wants to be part of a winning team.

I mentioned on another thread that MU could use someone like Theo John. He had to know when he went to Duke that he would get fewer minutes than he was getting at MU. But, getting 10-15 minutes a game as a backup where he could be aggressive and not worry about fouling out could be a big help. That might also help free up Gold to play a role that is better suited for his size and skills.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2023, 05:05:33 PM »
Golden

If most of the core is back next season, but lose an Omax, I do not think you roll the dice on developing a guy. If all guys are back, you can roll the dice.
The pressure is in for next season and I do not expect Shaka to miss out on a great opportunity.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2023, 05:15:12 PM »
I think Shaka has his pick of the players in the Portal should he choose to go that way.

His success in developing players is probably the one thing that other players know about him.
Have some patience, FFS.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2023, 05:19:30 PM »
I think Shaka has his pick of the players in the Portal should he choose to go that way.

His success in developing players is probably the one thing that other players know about him.

This team is in a unique position to take on a player that is already developed though...a guy that maybe has one year left that could push them over the top.

There are a lot of ways they could go.  It's nice to know they have options and that a lot of those options are probably attracted to Marquette right now.
VIOLENCE!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2023, 05:19:48 PM »

Not if they want a massive bag of loot.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2023, 05:21:44 PM »
This team is in a unique position to take on a player that is already developed though...a guy that maybe has one year left that could push them over the top.

My point was that most players, developed or not, would relish the opportunity to significantly improve in the next year.
Have some patience, FFS.

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2023, 05:25:28 PM »
They need a kur kuath imo
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

Goose

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2023, 05:26:49 PM »
Pepe

I thought Kur was the missing piece this season. IMO, a Kur like player coupled with the returning core would be an impactful addition.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2023, 05:44:47 PM »
A Jayce Johnson would be a great complement to what this team has.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2023, 06:04:37 PM »
It is going to be interesting to see how Shaka navigates the portal this season. If he thinks he is losing a big gun, he cannot wait. If the core is back, getting an impact portal guy is in the eye of the beholder. An impact player with the core back looks far differently than replacing a big core guy.

I have little doubt that Shaka will plenty of options for either scenario. Getting kids to play at MU has become a lot easier over the past two years.
We definitely need a banging rim protecter.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback