[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: How can you not be romantic about college basketball?  (Read 4679 times)

DoctorV

• All American
How can you not be romantic about college basketball?
« on: March 25, 2023, 10:43:34 PM »
14–8
That was UConn’s record against Big East teams this season.
15-0
UConn’s record against anyone not in the Big East.
They have won every game in the NCAAt by 15+ so far.

UConn is the best team in the Final 4. They will be the favorite to win it all.

SDSU/FAU and one of Miami/Texas stand between a possible Creighton versus UConn all BE Final.

If that is the final, Marquette was 4-1 against the two finalists.
Marquette also won the conference by 3 and 4 games respectively over the 2 teams, and then won the Conference Tournament while beating UConn again.

I know we all know this, but that just all goes to show how miraculous this season was. We were all along for the ride, and when you’re in it you own it, and Marquette was the best team in the Big East and earned it all.

This tournament shows how amazing that job by Coach Shaka Smart and those players truly was.
A run that will never be forgotten.
A run that was likely under-appreciated while we all lived it.

It’s easy to say Marquette was amazing and deserved this and that, that they should have done this and done that.
That said, what’s not easy is taking a step back and realizing that Marquette actually DID do this and DO that.
They earned all of that, and at some point as time passes by and the mind fades the memory will not, because Marquette DID THAT, and it was miraculous.

BIG EAST CHAMPIONS, BiG EAST CONF TOURNEY CHAMPIONS 2023.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 10:46:23 PM by DoctorV »

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: How can you not be romantic about college basketball?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 10:48:41 PM »
I think FAU will be a very tough out for Creighton or SDSU. 

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 11:01:58 PM »
I think FAU will be a very tough out for Creighton or SDSU.

Is it because they have more spurtability than Marquette?

What are the odds that our most spurtable cat, Sean Jones, becomes the Markquis Nowell of the BE?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 11:11:37 PM »
Is it because they have more spurtability than Marquette?

What are the odds that our most spurtable cat, Sean Jones, becomes the Markquis Nowell of the BE?

It's not that.  I've watched this team play the last three games.  They're extremely difficult to guard with 4 smalls and a 7 footer.  Their overall team quickness is not something Creighton or SDSU has seen all year.  If Creighton wins tomorrow they will have their hands full in the F4. 

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 11:46:14 PM »
Ok fair.

So you’re saying FAU can win it all.

Do you think they are better, or a bigger challenge than what Creighton, assuming they can break the insanely tough defense in SDSU, has seen this season in your beloved Marquette and Uconn?

Carl

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 11:54:14 PM »
Nice post. Most of us agree with the sentimental reflection you’re expressing. I’ll agree to disagree on your thoughts about this team being “under-appreciated”. As a collective fandom we have been appreciating the hell out of this team for months. People (me included) have been losing their minds and will continue to about what might have been….

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2023, 12:27:09 AM »

Is this a serious question?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2023, 06:13:51 AM »
Ok fair.

So you’re saying FAU can win it all.

Do you think they are better, or a bigger challenge than what Creighton, assuming they can break the insanely tough defense in SDSU, has seen this season in your beloved Marquette and Uconn?

It's unlikely FAU  can beat UCONN or Texas. 

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2023, 09:01:17 AM »

Thank You!  I knew I couldn't be the only one daring to dream?  Who knew about Nowell at Little Rock?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2023, 10:02:55 AM »
Pound the hogs
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2023, 07:39:10 PM »
That's why the NCAA has to do a better job of protecting college basketball. It is a much more entertaining version of basketball than the pro game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2023, 07:49:02 PM »
That's why the NCAA has to do a better job of protecting college basketball. It is a much more entertaining version of basketball than the pro game.

Disagreed. Flipping over to the Bucks/Nuggets game while watching the Elite 8 last night was night and day. Just so much better of a product in the NBA. If you enjoy watching worse and less skilled athletes, yes, college is more entertaining. But it’s like choosing to watch a freshman basketball game over watching the varsity game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

panda

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 08:00:12 PM »
Disagreed. Flipping over to the Bucks/Nuggets game while watching the Elite 8 last night was night and day. Just so much better of a product in the NBA. If you enjoy watching worse and less skilled athletes, yes, college is more entertaining. But it’s like choosing to watch a freshman basketball game over watching the varsity game.

I don’t think it’s as much an issue of talent on the floor, although it’s (obviously) a massive difference…The officiating in college is just horrendous. It’s ruining the product on the floor and makes games even to the most die hard of diehards, unwatchable.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2023, 08:02:29 PM »
And yet we watch.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2023, 08:05:31 PM »
As a true romantic, I continually get my heart broken.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2023, 08:07:45 PM »
There is always Hallmark movies.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2023, 08:10:49 PM »
As a true romantic, I continually get my heart broken.

Some may say it's the opposite of romance for the winner because everyone except them gets f***ed in the end.

*badum tss*
VIOLENCE!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2023, 08:30:12 PM »
I don’t think it’s as much an issue of talent on the floor, although it’s (obviously) a massive difference…The officiating in college is just horrendous. It’s ruining the product on the floor and makes games even to the most die hard of diehards, unwatchable.

now that you brought this up...why is the rule of replays only apply to the last 2 minutes??   so something that could turn the game at 2:01 is not worthy?  i'd say either eliminate the 2 minute thing altogether and allow certain plays to be re viewable regardless,  otherwise toss the whole thing

the call against creighton had to be heart breaking
don't...don't don't don't don't

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2023, 08:33:22 PM »
Who are these scoopers?

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2023, 09:23:24 PM »
The NBA game is horrible these days.  It’s three pointers and free throws.

The college game is played the way it should. The coaching in college is far better.  Everyone plays harder.  There is no “load management.”  The defense is better.

Yes, the NBA guys are better shooters and dunkers, but there’s a lot more to the game than that stuff.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2023, 09:45:54 PM »

The college game is played the way it should. The coaching in college is far better.  Everyone plays harder.  There is no “load management.”  The defense is better.

Yes, the NBA guys are better shooters and dunkers, but there’s a lot more to the game than that stuff.

I don't even know where to start with this.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2023, 09:55:22 PM »
I don't even know where to start with this.

Yeah. That’s…a take.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2023, 06:20:29 AM »

Sigh
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2023, 08:23:15 AM »

I actually agree with the first line.  There is no doubt that NBA players are the best in the world and are amazing, but watching 60 three pointers getting launched every game is boring to me.

The pros are playing just as hard and trying to defend.  The pro rules do make defense more difficult.  Primarily, they can't get away with drawing charges nearly as easily as college players can (and frankly, that is the part of the college game I like the least).  But the real reason defense is so difficult in the NBA is because the players are so good offensively.

I prefer watching college basketball by a mile, despite the difference in player quality.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2023, 08:29:14 AM »
College has a greater disparity in styles and game types. In the NBA, you generally have a good idea of what you will get if you tune in to a random game. In college, there are dozens of different ways to win. You'll never have the shot-making nor athletic consistency of the NBA, but that doesn't take away how interesting it can be.

Honestly, the other thing that puts college over the NBA to me is it's a better story. Because we get different stars every year, you hear different stories every year. The off the court stuff is usually much more entertaining, and typically for the better. In terms of the thread title, it is a vastly more "romantic" sport to cheer for. The NBA will never match that.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.