[Today at 09:50:14 AM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by tower912
[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How can you not be romantic about college basketball?  (Read 4791 times)

rgoode57

• Starter
Re: How can you not be romantic about college basketball?
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2023, 08:33:58 AM »
Yes, the players and teams at the college level are not as good as the NBA. And that is precisely why we like college ball - it is less pedictable, more human, and more entertaining.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2023, 08:40:47 AM »
There's greater variance and opportunity for chaos in the college game because the skill level is lower. Not unlike college football.

As for the coaching and defense being better in college, that's laughable. NBA coaches are absolute killers when it comes to identifying and exploiting mismatches. The sets out of timeouts in endgame situations are way better than the college game. They can't mix defenses as much with the rules, but honestly, zones in the NBA may work for a few trips but with the shotmaking it's usually short-lived.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2023, 08:42:43 AM »
There's greater variance and opportunity for chaos in the college game because the skill level is lower. Not unlike college football.

As for the coaching and defense being better in college, that's laughable. NBA coaches are absolute killers when it comes to identifying and exploiting mismatches. The sets out of timeouts in endgame situations are way better than the college game. They can't mix defenses as much with the rules, but honestly, zones in the NBA may work for a few trips but with the shotmaking it's usually short-lived.

Anyone that thinks the NBA doesn’t play defense doesn’t watch the NBA
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2023, 09:27:04 AM »
In general, crowds at good college basketball programs are louder and more lively, and that adds a lot to the excitement factor, but there's no better basketball than the NBA playoffs, especially once the first round is over.

The beautiful thing is that it doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing thing. I enjoy both. I like a good high school game, too. It's all basketball, the most wonderful game on earth!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2023, 09:38:45 AM »
Interestingly, the regular season and through the first weekend crowds for the NCAAs go heavily to college over NBA, but I do think the NBA might have better crowds once you get to the Quarterfinals. Fiserv was absolutely rocking during that championship run. I don't think they get to the level we do if we're both playing February games against Xavier or Philadelphia, but when it's all on the line, that intensity rachets up. I do love the NBA playoffs.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2023, 09:50:27 AM »
Your average mid-season NBA game is an expensive bore.  Everyone is playing at 75 percent and there is a good chance one of the marquee players is out due to “muscle soreness.”

It’s understandable since the season is so long and players can’t sustain max effort and be ready for the playoffs.  NBA playoff basketball past the first round is phenomenal.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2023, 09:54:03 AM »
I actually agree with the first line.  There is no doubt that NBA players are the best in the world and are amazing, but watching 60 three pointers getting launched every game is boring to me.

The pros are playing just as hard and trying to defend.  The pro rules do make defense more difficult.  Primarily, they can't get away with drawing charges nearly as easily as college players can (and frankly, that is the part of the college game I like the least).  But the real reason defense is so difficult in the NBA is because the players are so good offensively.

I prefer watching college basketball by a mile, despite the difference in player quality.

Unless you're the Boston Celtics.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2023, 03:43:16 PM »
Who are these scoopers?

A great underrated band.  Catch them at the Summerfest Rock Stage on Friday, June 23rd, 5:30 pm.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2023, 04:24:43 PM »
A great underrated band.  Catch them at the Summerfest Rock Stage on Friday, June 23rd, 5:30 pm.

Someone at Marquette was way ahead on this.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2023, 04:27:49 PM »
Someone at Marquette was way ahead on this.

Yes!!  1983, I believe.  Best five bucks I spent during my years at MU.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2023, 04:56:54 PM »
Yes!!  1983, I believe.  Best five bucks I spent during my years at MU.

My $5 went to beer. (Note the comp on the ticket)  ;D
Thanks nameless person.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2023, 05:10:50 PM »
X Cleavers greatest hit....

Nice legs, shame about the face.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2023, 06:08:50 PM »
Two great bands.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2023, 06:13:45 PM »
X Cleavers greatest hit....

Nice legs, shame about the face.

Remake of a song by the Monks.

Those X-Cleavers was a fun band.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2023, 09:12:43 PM »
On 3/4 I did the double dip with Marquette v StJ followed by Bucks v Sixers.

I prefer ncaab to NBA- partly because I grew up as a Bulls fan in the Jordan era and the Bulls can’t come anywhere close to something like that ever again, and partly because I’m a huge MU fan- but I still watch my fair share of NBA and support Gianni and the Bucks.

My main takeaways, at least on that day, was that
1- the Marquette game crowd was more exciting than the Bucks crowd- and both games ended up being nailbiters

2- it completely floored me that NBA players don’t really listen to their coach or pay attention during timeouts.
I mean I couldn’t believe how both benches just stared up at the Jumbotron during timeouts instead of actually interacting with their teammates and coaches.

Shaka also showed up with his wife and daughter so that was awesome!

Uncle Rico

• All American

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2023, 07:50:55 AM »
There is no romance when it is a cash transaction, which college basketball has become. Sorry for the poor metaphor.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2023, 08:01:03 AM »
There is no romance when it is a cash transaction, which college basketball has become. Sorry for the poor metaphor.

So there's never been romance, is what you're saying. Because cash transactions were the order of the day going back to the 1970s at least.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2023, 08:58:28 AM »
So there's never been romance, is what you're saying. Because cash transactions were the order of the day going back to the 1970s at least.

hmm...If there was money for players to play/stay in college in the 70s then why were the NBA/ABA bidding wars so intense? The Olympics did not go pro until '92 and if one American player was receiving cash/compensation other than a scholarship to play ball I'm sure that would have been discovered and they would have been disqualified.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2023, 09:16:18 AM »
hmm...If there was money for players to play/stay in college in the 70s then why were the NBA/ABA bidding wars so intense? The Olympics did not go pro until '92 and if one American player was receiving cash/compensation other than a scholarship to play ball I'm sure that would have been discovered and they would have been disqualified.

You serious, Clark?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2023, 10:08:23 AM »

This is excellent use of no-teal teal. Bravo.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2023, 10:12:10 AM »

When Al talked about how dirty of a business recruiting was, do you think he was referring to mud between the house and the cracked sidewalk? Give me a break.

Not sure if this is delusion, naivety, or a bit, but there was unquestionably cash changing hands in the 1970s. 100%

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2023, 05:32:04 PM »
When Al talked about how dirty of a business recruiting was, do you think he was referring to mud between the house and the cracked sidewalk? Give me a break.

Not sure if this is delusion, naivety, or a bit, but there was unquestionably cash changing hands in the 1970s. 100%

Name me one or two players or their families that received cash or material compensation in the 70s and remained eligible to play college basketball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2023, 05:57:23 PM »
Name me one or two players or their families that received cash or material compensation in the 70s and remained eligible to play college basketball.

Pretty much every notable player that played for UCLA was funded by Sam Gilbert. David Thompson for NC State had a notoriously dirty recruitment. Cincinnati assistant Al Himel has admitted to paying numerous players in the recruiting process, most notably the time he brought a suitcase with $150,000 cash to Moses Malone and it was only the third highest total Malone received that day (he went pro directly, but the money was there). Himel also described spending a ton on Cincy big man Robert Miller.

You didn't win in the 1970s without recruiting, and you didn't win in recruiting without recruiting dirty. It's not exactly a secret.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2023, 06:02:56 PM »

Probably a good chunk of every player that came through Marquette