[Today at 10:36:41 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 10:23:37 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Al's Run Canceled  (Read 6564 times)

wisblue

• All American
Re: Al's Run Canceled
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2023, 12:07:56 PM »
Maybe an announcement that the event wouldn’t be held, and the public reaction to it, would bring out another sponsor that would resurrect it.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2023, 12:31:12 PM »
Maybe an announcement that the event wouldn’t be held, and the public reaction to it, would bring out another sponsor that would resurrect it.

Per the press release, sponsorship isn't the problem.  Yeah it might be but that's why I hope Children's explains this better.  I filled out the survey and hope others do as well.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2023, 12:41:15 PM »
First, it was the B&G Fish Fry.  Then it was Marquette Madness, then Haunted Hoops. Now Al's Run.

They hate us!!!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2023, 12:44:02 PM »
MU should absolutely take it over.  Have the money go to reading and math programs for kids in Milw or to a Jesuit school in a developing country. Keeps the focus on helping kids.

Solutions, not problems.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2023, 12:56:53 PM »
I think if MU took it over, it needs to stay with a local focus on kids needs.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2023, 12:58:10 PM »
Would Al's estate allow it? Hologram AL will be pissed.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2023, 01:20:39 PM »
Is that the preferred pronoun of those who cancelled the run?

Completely unnecessary

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2023, 01:55:12 PM »
What a strange way for the run to end.  It was a fixture for my dad.
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

Class71

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2023, 07:13:41 PM »
Numerous races have double amputees and wheelchair participants. More to this than the lame explanation given. They are not fooling anyone.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

NoLongerWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2023, 07:42:59 PM »
I’m a hospital administrator. This all makes perfect sense. Similar to administrators in other large organizations primarily funded by the government, we too seek the path of least resistance in every scenario. In this case, a purple-haired victim probably complained about the lack of inclusivity, and rather than endure ze shrieks of pain over the phone, the administrator chose to end the event with a brief Twitter post. It was probably faster to draft that post and submit it to media outlets than it would have been to deal with Karen.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2023, 10:46:14 AM »
I get the difficulty associated with operating the run. When bureaucracies get involved, risk managers weigh in and pointy heads make their opinion known, people find hundreds of reasons not to do something.

There's only one reason to do something: It matters.

It Matters to Children's Hospital, not because it puts money in someone's pocket but because it raises visibility for the important work that's done at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.

It Matters to the Community, because it is a form of exercise and calls attention to the need for physical fitness in an era of way too much obesity.

It Matters to Milwaukee, because it brings visibility to the city and the state.

It Matters to Marquette because it continues to honor a man who gave his career to something that made us proud, built a national basketball program and made us happy, made us laugh and even made us cry a few times.

I'm not a runner but I respect the work Coach Al did for the community and the loyalty he had to Southeast Wisconsin. All I can say is one word:

Idiots!

way to cut thru the sh!t dog!  people need to get back to what got this started in the first place and get the politics out of it!!

whenever "things" get too big and too successful, someone who believes they have the best intentions comes in and ruins it.  briggs should just step aside as they essentially have in the milwaukee business community already and let someone else become the main sponsor. 

if possible, i think someone should just start over.  with the mcguire family blessings, start a new one.  take it to the lakefront where they could start and finish it in a logistical place.  start it where all the students ran to following 1977.  or where pat smith and al threw the beachball into lake michigan to prove a point to ray meyer.   

https://digitalmarquette.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p16280coll1/id/14268/

*sidenote-i have concerns about children's hospital getting involved in stuff they ethically and morally have no business even thinking about and i'll leave it at that
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2023, 01:06:08 PM »
  way to cut thru the sh!t dog!  people need to get back to what got this started in the first place and get the politics out of it!!

whenever "things" get too big and too successful, someone who believes they have the best intentions comes in and ruins it.  briggs should just step aside as they essentially have in the milwaukee business community already and let someone else become the main sponsor. 

if possible, i think someone should just start over.  with the mcguire family blessings, start a new one.  take it to the lakefront where they could start and finish it in a logistical place.  start it where all the students ran to following 1977.  or where pat smith and al threw the beachball into lake michigan to prove a point to ray meyer.   

https://digitalmarquette.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p16280coll1/id/14268/

*sidenote-i have concerns about children's hospital getting involved in stuff they ethically and morally have no business even thinking about and i'll leave it at that

No one cares about your personal views about the subject, so maybe just don't even lob that grenade in here in the first place.

i71_dawg

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2023, 01:40:15 PM »
Is that the preferred pronoun of those who cancelled the run?

😂 😆
MUBB fan for nearly 30 years

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2023, 06:04:49 PM »
No one cares about your personal views about the subject, so maybe just don't even lob that grenade in here in the first place.

come on hardy, this whole board is pretty much "personal views"  not sure what "grenade" you are referring to but if it is "personal views" you don't like-put me on your ignore list and move along
don't...don't don't don't don't

Autoengineer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2023, 07:38:28 PM »
"ensuring our fund raising events are engaging for kids and adults of all abilities".   I take that to mean they think most Milwaukee people are too fat for a run. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2023, 08:24:13 PM »
Sir Larry wanted me to post this from 1978.

Not sponsored by Children's .. was the "Limb Bank" run.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2023, 09:35:08 PM »
Thank you topper for posting.  I still don’t know how to post personal photos.

I ran Al’s a dozen times. One year my  best friend pointed out to me that while I did beat him, a very pregnant woman beat me (photos for sale).

As Goose and others have stated, it was truly a fun and memorable event.  I had the honor of running beside Al hisself in 79 or 80, God rest his soul.
Ludum habemus.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2023, 10:22:48 PM »
I ran Al’s a dozen times. One year my  best friend pointed out to me that while I did beat him, a very pregnant woman beat me (photos for sale).

Sir Larry, you were always a big Al's run supporter  (with matching donations)... Appreciated. One day (maybe soon) we'll have a similar effort to support.

I suppose I am supposed to plug the NIL collective, but that's different. ..

Goose

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2023, 08:46:48 AM »
Sir

Al’s Run was still such a big event that ran into the Commissioner there last year. It was a rare sighting of a MKE legend.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2023, 11:43:47 AM »
Sir

Al’s Run was still such a big event that ran into the Commissioner there last year. It was a rare sighting of a MKE legend.

I assume he was spectating not participating?
Ludum habemus.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2023, 03:12:56 PM »
come on hardy, this whole board is pretty much "personal views"  not sure what "grenade" you are referring to but if it is "personal views" you don't like-put me on your ignore list and move along

Nah, you injected BS not related to the topic at hand that was political.  You guys cry about MU82 doing it all the time.

Own it, and just knock it off like a grown up.

feedback