'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Go Butler  (Read 5103 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Go Butler
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2023, 08:09:00 PM »
I can understand the fear of disappointment but there is no team next week that we can’t beat.  Most teams we SHOULD beat. Let’s have fun for once.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2023, 08:25:05 PM »
And if you’re a UCONN fan you root for the 8 seed over the 1 seed.

But if we can’t beat SJU, we’re in trouble.

Well yea, if we can’t we are out of the Big East Tournament.

I wouldn’t necessarily say in trouble though, because we almost couldn’t beat them yesterday and I wouldn’t think Marquette is in trouble.

We are at the elimination stage of the season, it’s a whole new ballgame with an entirely new set of rules, the rules of the bright lights and the win or go home rules.

That’s what makes March Madness one of, if not the best, sporting events on the planet

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2023, 09:23:58 PM »
Yea sir, DoctorV.

It’s the best sporting event of the year. 

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2023, 09:26:57 PM »
Guys are knocking me for saying that SJU presents a tougher crowd than Butler. 

The name of the post is “Go Butler”. 

Yes, we shouldn’t fear facing St. John’s but it’s disingenuous to say we would t prefer to face Butler.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2023, 09:34:25 PM »
Guys are knocking me for saying that SJU presents a tougher crowd than Butler. 

The name of the post is “Go Butler”. 

Yes, we shouldn’t fear facing St. John’s but it’s disingenuous to say we would t prefer to face Butler.

Yep, you’re correct. At this point of the season matchups really matter.
It’s not that Marquette should fear either side they might play, it’s just that one would seemingly be a better matchup than the other.

Soriano feasts down low and StJ bullies. They will do more of that on Th if they play MU. It’s fine, because Marquette will see that again in the dance so they have to prepare for it, but they are likely the worse of the two matchups.

That said, this is actually the first year in a long time where I didn’t really care who was on Marquette’s side of the bracket, and it’s a good feeling.
Just means that this squad has had such a magical season that it doesn’t matta to me.
Bring on StJ, bring on UConn, no matta.
That doesn’t change the fact that UConn is probably the worst matchup for Marquette and StJ is a worse matchup than Butler.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2023, 09:42:32 PM »
They should fear having to match up with Marquette.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2023, 09:45:39 PM »
Agreed.  We beat every team in the conference so we shouldn’t fear anyone.  But we’d certainly prefer playing DePaul and Georgetown over UConn.

I think the last minute of yesterday’s game was a huge wake up call that Shaka can use to teach the teach a very valuable lesson. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2023, 09:49:16 PM »
Yes, by a smidge, I’d rather play Butler than St. John’s. But we’ll easily beat either of them.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2023, 11:22:27 PM »
We shouldn't worry about who they will play next.  Whoever it is is in the way of the goal and whoever it is isn't going to wake up excited to play Marquette that day.

The Golden Eagles are in a position to dictate exactly how this tournament plays out.
VIOLENCE!

mug644

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2023, 03:38:45 AM »
We shouldn't worry about who they will play next.  Whoever it is is in the way of the goal finish line that doesn't exist and whoever it is isn't going to wake up excited to play Marquette that day.

The Golden Eagles are in a position to dictate exactly how this tournament plays out.

FIFY

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2023, 06:28:52 AM »
Looking past, what about Providence?  If they come out with a chip after
Saturday, watch out UConn.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2023, 07:13:01 AM »

A chip won't matter if they play like chit.

But sure, The Provi has a chance. UConn is very good but hardly unbeatable.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2023, 07:24:13 AM »
I was talking about Scooper angst, that's all. I've been saying all along that Marquette's gonna romp on Thursday against the Johnnies-Bulldogs winner -- and yes, that has nothing to do with anything that happened in the past.

What some call angst, others call respecting opponents and recognizing that stuff happens, including upsets in sports.

Even if I think MU would or should beat either Butler or St. John’s on Thursday, I personally think that SJU is more dangerous and creates some personnel challenges for MU that Butler doesn’t. So, I’ll be rooting for Butler on Wednesday to either win or make SJ exert a lot of energy to win.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2023, 07:31:28 AM »
I can understand the fear of disappointment but there is no team next week that we can’t beat.  Most teams we SHOULD beat. Let’s have fun for once.

After Thursday, MU will only be playing teams they CAN beat, not teams they SHOULD beat. MU would be an underdog against UConn and probably a tossup at best against Xavier, Creighton, Providence, or Villanova.

Anyone who thinks MU SHOULD beat any of those teams wasn’t paying attention to how tightly contested MU’s games against those teams were, especially when they were at full strength.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2023, 07:37:57 AM »
After Thursday, MU will only be playing teams they CAN beat, not teams they SHOULD beat. MU would be an underdog against UConn and probably a tossup at best against Xavier, Creighton, Providence, or Villanova.

Anyone who thinks MU SHOULD beat any of those teams wasn’t paying attention to how tightly contested MU’s games against those teams were, especially when they were at full strength.

Uconn and Creighton (barely) are ranked ahead of us in kenpom.  So those two are dogs/tossups.  All other teams we will likely be favored.

It’s not about paying attention….

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2023, 07:39:09 AM »
I think Butler would be easier to beat than SJU at the garden.  I don't think coming back from 19 down on the road was a fluke for SJU. I think they found their cheat code for playing MU.  I think their underachieving roster is a more difficult match up for MU because of their bulk and mass.  I think they will put their heads down and attack the basket for 40 minutes instead of 30.  I think they will have the crowd and the whistles.  Part of the crowd will be fans from other schools wanting to see the 1 seed go down.

So, yeah, go Butler.

Afraid of SJU?  Not really.  Respect for what they pulled on Saturday and aware they can just as easily do it at MSG?  Absolutely.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 07:43:53 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2023, 07:42:41 AM »

I agree with this analysis
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2023, 08:15:56 AM »
What some call angst, others call respecting opponents and recognizing that stuff happens, including upsets in sports.

Even if I think MU would or should beat either Butler or St. John’s on Thursday, I personally think that SJU is more dangerous and creates some personnel challenges for MU that Butler doesn’t. So, I’ll be rooting for Butler on Wednesday to either win or make SJ exert a lot of energy to win.

I agree with your analysis.  Matchups matter.  St John's is a physical, athletic, capable team that is much better without the clown Curbelo.  Plus, St. John's essentially is playing a home game.

Yes, we should win given how we've played this season, but let's not forget the 2003 Final Four team lost in the first round to the C-USA tournament to UAB...coached by....Mike Andersen.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2023, 08:20:11 AM »
I'm worried that all 37 St. John's fans will show up and drown out the 2,000 #mubb that make the trek to NYC.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2023, 08:22:12 AM »
I think Butler would be easier to beat than SJU at the garden.  I don't think coming back from 19 down on the road was a fluke for SJU. I think they found their cheat code for playing MU.  I think their underachieving roster is a more difficult match up for MU because of their bulk and mass.  I think they will put their heads down and attack the basket for 40 minutes instead of 30.  I think they will have the crowd and the whistles.  Part of the crowd will be fans from other schools wanting to see the 1 seed go down.

So, yeah, go Butler.

Afraid of SJU?  Not really.  Respect for what they pulled on Saturday and aware they can just as easily do it at MSG?  Absolutely.

You did a lot of thinking in your post- six times!  :D  Agree that they will try to repeat what they did Saturday for 40 minutes, but really doubt that they will shoot 50% on 3s and 89% at the line. And that miracle 3 pointer? Not gonna happen again. Also agree not afraid of SJ.

Putting their BE season in perspective, their one big W was @ UCONN. Four of their seven Ws were vs.3-17 DP and 2-18 GT. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2023, 08:23:15 AM »
The good news is no matter who we play, they would have played a game the day before. Plus, with the early start, it would be a quick turn around.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2023, 08:29:31 AM »
While I am sure they aren't going to repeat their exact performance, SJU is responsible for two of the seven best EFG% performances against Marquette this year.  Another way of putting this is that two of SJU's top three Big East offensive shooting performances have been against Marquette.

It's not unfair to say that its not a great match up for our defense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2023, 08:31:36 AM »
You did a lot of thinking in your post- six times!  :D 

Thank you for that set up.  The punchlines  are endless.

My wife wasn't around, so I was allowed to think.
My brain is tired and I am done thinking for the day.  Time to sit back and watch/listen to (insert your least favorite media outlet here).
Will thinking get me booted from scoop/meat eaters?
Winnie the pooh saying 'think, think, think'.

And on....
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 08:34:33 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2023, 08:36:38 AM »
Thank you for that set up.  The punchlines  are endless.

My wife wasn't around, so I was allowed to think.
My brain is tired and I am done thinking for the day.  Time to sit back and watch/listen to (insert your least favorite media outlet here).
Will thinking get me booted from scoop/meat eaters?
Winnie the pooh saying 'think, think, think'.

And on....

If you are saying that when your wife is around, she does your thinking for you....I know the feeling!  ;D
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2023, 09:20:17 AM »

So, yeah, go Butler.

Kind of like when Butler had given the Big East the blueprint on how to slow Marquette down when they played a close game at Fiserv.  Wait, never mind.  We ran them out of the gym next time we played them.

I think going from down 10 with 23 seconds to play to having a free throw to send the game into OT is pretty dang fluky.  We'll be fine.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter