Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Should Markus Howard Jersey Be Retired

Yes
No

Author Topic: Poll: Markus Howard Jersey Retirement  (Read 19063 times)

WarriorFan

• All American
Re: Poll: Markus Howard Jersey Retirement
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2023, 04:59:14 AM »
I wouldn't retire either Markus or Chones.  Chones body of work was too small, and Markus didn't win important games.

What I would do - in anticipation of the same issue arising for Wes, JFB and hopefully many more from the Shaka era is developing a MUBB lifetime achievement award which honors the names but does not retire the Jerseys.  The first 3 would be Chones, Markus, Butler.  Jae & Wes probably follow although "solid NBA career" might be too low of a standard for the long term.  I'd look for at least one all star appearance, at least one championship, at least one "player of the year" (including DPOY) as criteria... as well as college criteria including the scoring record, assists record (TK - there's your path), rebounds record, etc.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2023, 05:07:51 AM »
All-time leading scorer.  Great representative of the university.  He should absolutely have his number retired.

Absolutely correct. There is no reason not to. He was a great player and four year student athlete.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2023, 05:29:20 AM »
Rivers having his number retired was a 100% Crean thing. Not sure if it was for recruiting his kids or what.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2023, 06:10:03 AM »
🤦🏻‍♂️
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2023, 06:46:36 AM »
If a university wants to honor a player for his achievements in college, fine.  Leave the NBA out of it.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2023, 06:53:14 AM »
I wouldn't retire either Markus or Chones.  Chones body of work was too small, and Markus didn't win important games.

What I would do - in anticipation of the same issue arising for Wes, JFB and hopefully many more from the Shaka era is developing a MUBB lifetime achievement award which honors the names but does not retire the Jerseys.  The first 3 would be Chones, Markus, Butler.  Jae & Wes probably follow although "solid NBA career" might be too low of a standard for the long term.  I'd look for at least one all star appearance, at least one championship, at least one "player of the year" (including DPOY) as criteria... as well as college criteria including the scoring record, assists record (TK - there's your path), rebounds record, etc.

If Marquette doesn’t retire Jimmy Butler’s number they are out of their unnatural carnal knowledgeing minds.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2023, 07:10:09 AM »
Terrible article, even worse timing. What possibly possesses one to get up in the middle of this awesome season and say "I'm going to do a Markus Howard takedown piece today"?

However this article isn't about retiring Howard's jersey, it's about retiring his number. There's a completely different discussion to be had about whether numbers should be retired at all. If they are, Howard probably has a top-5 claim to his number being retired, along with Lee, Wade, and Thompson. But the more you open that debate, the more we'll hear how Ellis, Lucas, Meminger, Chones/Wardle/McNeal, McIlvaine/Diener, and plenty of others I'm sure I haven't listed here.

Retire as many jerseys as you want, don't retire any numbers. That's probably the best answer. If you do retire any numbers, it should be Lee (NPOY) and that's it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2023, 07:12:10 AM »
Before retiring any more athletes' numbers, isn't there another NASA mission number Marquette can retire?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2023, 07:27:01 AM »
If Marquette doesn’t retire Jimmy Butler’s number they are out of their unnatural carnal knowledgeing minds.

Jimmy Butler won’t be retired, probably ever. He would have to mend some fences and then lots of time would have to pass.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2023, 07:32:38 AM »
I still think we should switch to a Ring of Honor and then reserve retiring jerseys for extra special accomplishments like NPOY or Basketball HOF (I believe Naismith isn’t just for NBA).

Although, the cat might be out of the bag. At some point we are going to get tight on numbers.

Or the NCAA can just allow 6-10 digits.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2023, 07:41:04 AM »
If yall wanna remember the dumpster fire that this program was for 7 years, raise the banner.

It seems pretty clear that all the people determined to remember what a dumpster fire this program was for seven years are going to remember that...no reminders needed. And they're pretty determined to keep reminding the rest of us, too.

But there's nothing wrong with honoring and remembering what a great representative of MU Markus was -- even though he was unfortunate enough to have been representing MU during a dumpster fire of an era. Wojo's ineptitude is no reason to not honor Markus. Raise that jersey to the rafters.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 07:49:34 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2023, 07:42:53 AM »
The Markus Howard era brought a lot of great moments. I would happily remember them everytime I see his number in the rafters.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2023, 07:43:53 AM »
If you aren't going to honor MU's all time leading scorer, the Big East's all time leading scorer, a two time All-American who also represented the school honorably in multiple other ways, who are you going to honor?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2023, 07:51:08 AM »
If you aren't going to honor MU's all time leading scorer, the Big East's all time leading scorer, a two time All-American who also represented the school honorably in multiple other ways, who are you going to honor?

Whoever screams the loudest about how much they hated Wojo? That's seems to be what the people against honoring Markus are angling for.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2023, 07:53:22 AM »
And that he went 0/2 in the NCAA tournament. Which is a strange metric for an individual honor. (Not to mention that he would have been in three had COVID not cancelled it.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2023, 07:54:11 AM »

The guy who paid Wojo's buyout.

Then Chones - Then Markus.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2023, 08:02:22 AM »
The guy who paid Wojo's buyout.

Then Chones - Then Markus.

One of these is already in the rafters.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2023, 08:08:21 AM »
Terrible article, even worse timing. What possibly possesses one to get up in the middle of this awesome season and say "I'm going to do a Markus Howard takedown piece today"?

However this article isn't about retiring Howard's jersey, it's about retiring his number. There's a completely different discussion to be had about whether numbers should be retired at all. If they are, Howard probably has a top-5 claim to his number being retired, along with Lee, Wade, and Thompson. But the more you open that debate, the more we'll hear how Ellis, Lucas, Meminger, Chones/Wardle/McNeal, McIlvaine/Diener, and plenty of others I'm sure I haven't listed here.

Retire as many jerseys as you want, don't retire any numbers. That's probably the best answer. If you do retire any numbers, it should be Lee (NPOY) and that's it.

Everything in the article says jersey, not number.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2023, 08:10:27 AM »
One of these is already in the rafters.

The Apollo crew?
Maigh Eo for Sam

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2023, 08:15:55 AM »
Does the Spanish league season overlap 100% with the college season? Do they have an All Star break or anything like that? It could be difficult, timing wise, to coordinate a game when Markus can be in the building.

Will Wojo be there in disguise?
Bring back FFP!!!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2023, 08:21:51 AM »
It might be me, but "retiring" a jersey is just silly. Does that mean if someone with the last name of Howard decides to play at MU, he can't have Markus' number but anyone else can?

I'm in the retire his number camp.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2023, 08:39:29 AM »

Clicks? Seems to be getting some people riled up so I’d say it was a success. Retiring Howard’s number is a discussion for another day. I don’t feel strongly about it one way or the other.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2023, 08:45:16 AM »
Jimmy Butler won’t be retired, probably ever. He would have to mend some fences and then lots of time would have to pass.

Ball,

What did Jimmy do to burn bridges?   As a fan of Jimmy maybe I just blocked it out of my head but I really don’t know what you are talking about.  Thanks in advance for the reply.

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2023, 08:50:12 AM »
Ball,

What did Jimmy do to burn bridges?   As a fan of Jimmy maybe I just blocked it out of my head but I really don’t know what you are talking about.  Thanks in advance for the reply.

My understanding is it's a bit of a mystery and relatively recent.

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2023, 08:56:56 AM »
If a university wants to honor a player for his achievements in college, fine.  Leave the NBA out of it.
Completely agree. Who cares what they do in the NBA? This is a Marquette honor.