Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Should Markus Howard Jersey Be Retired

Yes
No

Author Topic: Poll: Markus Howard Jersey Retirement  (Read 19210 times)

Viper

• All American
Re: Poll: Markus Howard Jersey Retirement
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2023, 09:03:36 AM »
If yall wanna remember the dumpster fire that this program was for 7 years, raise the banner.
…for four of those years, at least Markus was always a show worth watching, could drop 50 any night, and kept MU in the headlines. I’d banner MH, Chones and Worthen.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 09:43:07 AM by Viper »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2023, 09:16:29 AM »
…for four of those years, at least Markus was always a show worth watching, could drop 50 any night, and kept MU in the headlines. I’d banor MH, Chones and Worthen.

Doesn’t NC banner all all-Americans?

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2023, 09:33:46 AM »
If yall wanna remember the dumpster fire that this program was for 7 years, raise the banner.
Was it Markus's fault he got on a team with a pair of prima donnas? 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2023, 09:36:27 AM »
Jimmy Butler won’t be retired, probably ever. He would have to mend some fences and then lots of time would have to pass.

He would then have to come back to Marquette and play some more.

He was a 12/6 player. You don’t retire the jersey of guys like that. You also don’t retire the jersey of a guy for NBA accomplishments.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2023, 09:38:06 AM »
He would then have to come back to Marquette and play some more.

He was a 12/6 player. You don’t retire the jersey of guys like that. You also don’t retire the jersey of a guy for NBA accomplishments.
Whatever markets Marquette's BB the greatest.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2023, 09:38:35 AM »
Don't we have Kojis retired? Doesn't he have zero wind to his name? I get he was one of the first greats but if we were going to retire a program starting a great it should be Terry Rand.

Anyways point is the precedent of not having tournament success is there between Doc and Kojis
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU90620

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2023, 09:40:38 AM »
It might be me, but "retiring" a jersey is just silly. Does that mean if someone with the last name of Howard decides to play at MU, he can't have Markus' number but anyone else can?

I'm in the retire his number camp.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but legitimate reasons do exist for not retiring numbers. For one, there are only 37 legal numbers available to college basketball teams. If you start retiring them you could really start hamstringing yourself over time.

Also, whether we agree or not, sometimes numbers are important to kids. There is a school of thought that you don’t want to take yourself out of a recruiting battle for a kid you really want because the number he wants is retired.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2023, 09:59:34 AM »
I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but legitimate reasons do exist for not retiring numbers. For one, there are only 37 legal numbers available to college basketball teams. If you start retiring them you could really start hamstringing yourself over time.

Also, whether we agree or not, sometimes numbers are important to kids. There is a school of thought that you don’t want to take yourself out of a recruiting battle for a kid you really want because the number he wants is retired.
If a recruits don't want to come to MU because of a number F'ck 'em.
Goal is National Championship

MU90620

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2023, 10:10:39 AM »
If a recruits don't want to come to MU because of a number F'ck 'em.

And that’s another school of thought.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2023, 10:21:27 AM »
Jimmy had adult relations with someone or something, aina retire his jersey
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2023, 10:37:00 AM »
I've long been a proponent of celebrating the player vs the player's number.

It's perfectly fine to retire someone's name/jersey/number, and to re-issue that number to someone else if need be. Have a grace period of time first, sure.

This means there may be multiple players celebrated/jersey retired with the same number. There could be 2, 3, 4 players with number 20 retired for example.

I also am a proponent of using more numbers/going higher too.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2023, 10:50:26 AM »
If MU had won a conference championship, or heck, even a Big East Tournament title, we could ignore the NCAA tournament embarrassments.

But the fact Markus Howard led MU to 0 championships and postseason wins of any consequence makes it a hard no from me, dog.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2023, 11:00:16 AM »
If MU had won a conference championship, or heck, even a Big East Tournament title, we could ignore the NCAA tournament embarrassments.

But the fact Markus Howard led MU to 0 championships and postseason wins of any consequence makes it a hard no from me, dog.

Ridiculous. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2023, 11:01:26 AM »

I was unware Markus coached the team.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2023, 11:01:37 AM »
Not ridiculous.    I disagree with him, but not ridiculous.    I am pleased that the current vote tally is 2-1 in favor.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2023, 11:02:25 AM »
I think it is telling that no one has worn 33 (Jimmy) or 0 (Markus) since they graduated.  But 32 (Hayward and Crowder), 1 (James), 22 (Chones and McNeal), and 23 (Matthews) have all been worn since.

Has anyone worn Diener's 34?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2023, 11:02:29 AM »
It's ridiculous. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2023, 11:07:12 AM »
For those unaware of the distinction, retiring a number means that number can never be issued to another Marquette player.  Retiring a jersey means that the honored player has his jersey raised to the rafters, but there are no restrictions on future use of the number.

Remember when George Thompson was miffed when Lazar Hayward was issued "his" #24, because George thought the number had been retired.  The school/staff at the time understood it to have been merely a jersey retirement.  To Lazar's credit, when he found out about GT's reaction, he promptly switched to 32.

And, Markus' jersey should absolutely be retired.  Like someone else above said, if you aren't retiring that jersey, then who would you EVER retire?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

panda

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2023, 11:19:45 AM »
It’s unfair to Markus but his overall legacy is somewhat tarnished because of the lack of team success. It’s unfair that he’ll always be associated with the failures of Wojo but that’s reality.

All of that being said, he should absolutely have his name/number whatever retired. The four year performance he put together is one of a kind. A program needs to honor that type of player and loyalty.

IL Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2023, 11:23:48 AM »
I think it is telling that no one has worn 33 (Jimmy) or 0 (Markus) since they graduated.  But 32 (Hayward and Crowder), 1 (James), 22 (Chones and McNeal), and 23 (Matthews) have all been worn since.

Has anyone worn Diener's 34?
Jayce Johnson in 2019-20
Dylan Flood in 2013-14

tower912

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2023, 11:26:56 AM »
It’s unfair to Markus but his overall legacy is somewhat tarnished because of the lack of team success. It’s unfair that he’ll always be associated with the failures of Wojo but that’s reality.

Which is odd because the team made the tourney twice while he was at MU, was a sure fire lock to make it a 3rd time until stopped by COVID, and had a decent little run in the NIT the year they did not make the tourney. 

Or, put another way, Wojo never made a postseason tournament without Markus on the roster.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 11:32:00 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2023, 11:28:46 AM »
If you aren't going to honor MU's all time leading scorer, the Big East's all time leading scorer, a two time All-American who also represented the school honorably in multiple other ways, who are you going to honor?

There is no such thing. The game today has no resemblance to the game when freshman were not eligible, no shot clock and no 3 point basket or 3 pt free throws. Do I think Markus' Jersey should be retired, of course. He was a great college ball player.

panda

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2023, 11:34:19 AM »
Which is odd because the team made the tourney twice while he was at MU, was a sure fire lock to make it a 3rd time until stopped by COVID, and had a decent little run in the NIT the year they did not make the tourney. 

Or, put another way, Wojo never made a postseason tournament without Markus on the roster.

Aka Markus had no post season success

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2023, 11:42:06 AM »
There is no such thing. The game today has no resemblance to the game when freshman were not eligible, no shot clock and no 3 point basket or 3 pt free throws. Do I think Markus' Jersey should be retired, of course. He was a great college ball player.

if Markus's 3s were 2s and you only take his 2-4 seasons he's still the top scorer by a lot. You're right there's a shot clock now and the free throws are different but as best as you can to normalize all the data he's still no 1 in scoring.
Maigh Eo for Sam

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2023, 11:47:10 AM »

Hopefully we never have to talk about the NIT again. That fact that people thought that was a success or an accomplishment is embarrassing
Bring back FFP!!!

feedback