'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Viper
[Today at 05:12:57 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Coaching Carousel  (Read 97271 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #375 on: March 13, 2023, 11:11:31 AM »
Still not sure what you are getting at about your inside information. Whether or not he was fired or he quit (he quit before being fired was straight out of Quinn's mouth), is irrelevant. He left that program with the pitchforks on his tail, with a program on probation.

I am not moving any goalposts. The original point was just because some coach is "NBA material" does not make him a successful college coach. If you think Snyder's run at Missouri was a success, well we have two different standards.

I admit I don’t read every thread here and I often don’t keep track of who posts what, nor do I speak in code with select people from the board, etc...

But enter two key words in a search and multiple threads like this one comes up, and it explains a lot.

It’s a pattern. You post about coaches that you don’t like from a distance. Later when various things are pointed out to you, your posts end up saying you never said they weren’t a good coach and then you go back to saying they weren’t etc…

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=63703.225

You also apparently advocated on this board for Wojo to be National Coach of the Year. So yes, we have two different standards.

After your comments. I pointed out that he had success at Mizzou, pretty simple. He did. Then you said his success was with someone else’s players. When it was pointed out to you that he won with his own players as well, you went to back to he he didn’t have success.

I’m happy to move on.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #376 on: March 13, 2023, 11:33:55 AM »
Damon Stoudamire is the new HC at Georgia Tech per Pete Thamel.

(Don't tell lawdog77 that Josh Pastner had success coching basketball at Memphis, and that Pastner previously worked for KO.)

Stoudamire has worked both with and for Pastner over the years.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #377 on: March 13, 2023, 11:41:12 AM »
I admit I don’t read every thread here and I often don’t keep track of who posts what, nor do I speak in code with select people from the board, etc...

But enter two key words in a search and multiple threads like this one comes up, and it explains a lot.

It’s a pattern. You post about coaches that you don’t like from a distance. Later when various things are pointed out to you, your posts end up saying you never said they weren’t a good coach and then you go back to saying they weren’t etc…

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=63703.225

You also apparently advocated on this board for Wojo to be National Coach of the Year. So yes, we have two different standards.

After your comments. I pointed out that he had success at Mizzou, pretty simple. He did. Then you said his success was with someone else’s players. When it was pointed out to you that he won with his own players as well, you went to back to he he didn’t have success.

I’m happy to move on.
Again different standards, between us. If you consider Snyder leaving Mizzou in a heap of crap, more power to you.

That link to the Sampson thread? Where did I say he wasn't a good coach. Would you consider Sampson's tenure at IU a success?

Pastner at Memphis? He was successful. Didnt end with several losing seasons, and being put on probation.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #378 on: March 13, 2023, 11:57:29 AM »
Again different standards, between us. If you consider Snyder leaving Mizzou in a heap of crap, more power to you.

That link to the Sampson thread? Where did I say he wasn't a good coach. Would you consider Sampson's tenure at IU a success?

Pastner at Memphis? He was successful. Didnt end with several losing seasons, and being put on probation.

How a coach leaves doesn't necessarily mean a coach didn't have success at that place. We've been through this several times.

Buzz Williams had success at Marquette. His exit wasn't great. But that doesn't mean he didn't have success at Marquette.

I am going to go out on a limb and say you aren't a fan of Bruce Pearl. You probably won't be invited to the cookout.

Hey look, Penny Hardaway is having another good season at Memphis. Too soon?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #379 on: March 13, 2023, 12:06:51 PM »
I really think one of lawdog or shoothoops will change their mind on Quinn Snyder soon.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #380 on: March 13, 2023, 12:12:57 PM »
I really hope Pitino doesn’t end up in the Big East. I think the league has really great coaches. Glad to see the two vacancies - big potential to upgrade.  I really hope they pass on Slick Rick.  His history speaks for itself.  Yes. People can change, nonetheless, I’d pass.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #381 on: March 13, 2023, 12:19:16 PM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #382 on: March 13, 2023, 12:20:11 PM »
I really hope Pitino doesn’t end up in the Big East. I think the league has really great coaches. Glad to see the two vacancies - big potential to upgrade.  I really hope they pass on Slick Rick.  His history speaks for itself.  Yes. People can change, nonetheless, I’d pass.

Hello Sean Miller!!!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #383 on: March 13, 2023, 12:24:22 PM »
Hello Sean Miller!!!

Yea right? Miller is/was just as slimy as Pitino. Kinda a weird line in the sand to draw.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #384 on: March 13, 2023, 12:27:52 PM »
Yea right? Miller is/was just as slimy as Pitino. Kinda a weird line in the sand to draw.

It’s also a new world. It’s clear these institutions were enabling payment of players regardless of coach.  Now that we have NIL payment of players it may go the way of ‘too many text messages’ eventually. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #385 on: March 13, 2023, 12:48:43 PM »

this should've been posted in a thread about coaching changes not in the latest scoop pissing contest thread

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #386 on: March 13, 2023, 12:51:41 PM »

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #387 on: March 13, 2023, 01:45:13 PM »

Funneling a little shoe money to players is the exact same thing as getting hookers for recruits.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #388 on: March 13, 2023, 02:14:41 PM »
Beard officially joins Ole Miss

https://twitter.com/olemissmbb/status/1635302262661627905?s=46&t=bv4_JSI7d3UaMi8gnEJWEg

I really thought it would at least be a year before things cooled down enough for a high major to hire him. Shoulda known better
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #389 on: March 13, 2023, 02:22:27 PM »
Funneling a little shoe money to players is the exact same thing as getting hookers for recruits.

Exactly. It’s the whole package. The 15 second screw in the bathroom with someone not his wife isn’t stellar either.  I’d say a reasonable place to draw the line.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #390 on: March 13, 2023, 03:03:36 PM »

Spiky blonde hair, little bitty jeans, chicken spaghetti at Chickalitti’s.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #391 on: March 13, 2023, 03:12:33 PM »
I really thought it would at least be a year before things cooled down enough for a high major to hire him. Shoulda known better

That makes at least two known chokers -- Beard and Knight -- to quickly land new gigs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #392 on: March 13, 2023, 03:20:20 PM »
That makes at least two known chokers -- Beard and Knight -- to quickly land new gigs.
Just need Wojo to get a job for the trifecta to be complete!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #393 on: March 13, 2023, 03:28:20 PM »
Just need Wojo to get a job for the trifecta to be complete!

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #394 on: March 13, 2023, 03:29:33 PM »

The apple didn't fall far from the coaching tree in this particular case.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #395 on: March 13, 2023, 03:55:58 PM »

I think thrillho's response was on point.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #396 on: March 13, 2023, 04:14:53 PM »

Agreed. Knowing what we know about domestic violence and victims of domestic violence, it's disturbing how universities would say, "we can't have him as our coach...his fiancée called 911 and reported that he choked her" and then so quickly change to, "she says she didn't want to get him in trouble when she called 911 to report that he choked her, so she's not pressing charges...so I guess we're good."

Hopefully Beard and his fiancée have gotten whatever help they need. Otherwise, I feel like schools are playing hot potato with Beard...who's going to be his employer when he gets in real trouble?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #397 on: March 13, 2023, 04:19:37 PM »
Per Vince Lombardi:

“Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing,”
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #398 on: March 13, 2023, 04:25:23 PM »
Aaron McKie out at Temple

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #399 on: March 13, 2023, 04:35:20 PM »
1. it wasn't "a little money"; 2. he also lied to investigators

But your point still stands. It was the lesser of two evils.