[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Coaching Carousel  (Read 96933 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2023, 09:29:13 AM »
To be fair, MU was in a bad place back then. In a conference with Detroit, Loyola and Evansville. I think anybody would have jumped at the chance to go to the SEC.

MU was in the Great Midwest when KO left.  A 7 team league that put 4 teams in the NCAAs in '94.  He was coaching against Gene Bartow, Chalie Spoonhour & Bob Huggins and if you need to google any of them you should just log off. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2023, 09:29:43 AM »
To be fair, MU was in a bad place back then. In a conference with Detroit, Loyola and Evansville. I think anybody would have jumped at the chance to go to the SEC.

At that point, they were in The Great Midwest
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2023, 09:30:31 AM »
Mike Deane won 100 games in 5 years.

NIT Finals, C-USA Championship, 4 seed in '96.  The list goes on.

MU cans him and decides to change the admissions policy for Crean recruits and all of sudden we're competive again.  What does Mike do?  He goes down to Lamar and leads them to the Dance, then he goes to Wagner and hangs a Conferenc e Champ banner.

The man is all about Laundry, he hangs banners everywhere he goes.  4 jobs, 4 conference titles.

Probably the most underrated coach of the last 50 years in America (including Canada). 

Mike Deane never won a conference championship at Wagner.  He had a losing record both there and at Lamar. His last 11 seasons as a head coach saw one postseason appearance - the year at Lamar you reference.  They won the conference tournament as a 7-seed in the 8 team Southland Conference.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2023, 09:34:25 AM »

Mike Deane never won a conference championship at Wagner.  He had a losing record both there and at Lamar. His last 11 seasons as a head coach saw one postseason appearance - the year at Lamar you reference.  They won the conference tournament as a 7-seed in the 8 team Southland Conference.

You're right, I was thinking he did in 2008 but he finished 15-3 in conference and Robert Morries finished 16-2.  Who was Bob Morris coached by?  Mike Rice...Deane's assistant at MU.  So while he did finish one game out of first he was only bested by his protege.  He basically created the only person who could beat him.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2023, 09:39:34 AM »
VCU fans said damn near the same thing when Illinois, Marquette, and who knows who else came calling eight or ten years ago. I wouldn't stake anything to my perception of happy he is with the fans, how good the program is, or MU's ability to give him a raise.

The difference between now and then is, as you point out, UT.  He's done the Big XII gig.  It's my hope that that's enough because if this year is any indication of future success, his name will come up a lot in coming years.

Beyond the UT experience, MU and VCU are VERY different in terms of coach retention when it comes to conference, compensation, and perks.  Thats not to say it precludes someone wanting to move to a big public university or B10/SEC program, but VCU is a mid major and MU is certainly not.

Aaaaand the Texas Tech fans are already talking about Shaka as a replacement.

Football schools really think they own the world, huh?

Especially hilarious since before Chris Beard, they had made the NCAA 5 times in 20 years.  And 4 of those were with one of the top 5 college coaches of all time.

Its a bottom tier P5 job in a dumpy town in the middle of nowhere with minimal basketball history.  Beard had a school connection which is why they got him.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2023, 09:42:29 AM »
MU was in the Great Midwest when KO left.  A 7 team league that put 4 teams in the NCAAs in '94.  He was coaching against Gene Bartow, Chalie Spoonhour & Bob Huggins and if you need to google any of them you should just log off.
My mistake. I forgot the timeline. No offense intended.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2023, 09:43:40 AM »
Mike Deane won 100 games in 5 years.

NIT Finals, C-USA Championship, 4 seed in '96.  The list goes on.

MU cans him and decides to change the admissions policy for Crean recruits and all of sudden we're competive again.  What does Mike do?  He goes down to Lamar and leads them to the Dance, then he goes to Wagner and hangs a Conferenc e Champ banner.

The man is all about Laundry, he hangs banners everywhere he goes.  4 jobs, 4 conference titles.

Probably the most underrated coach of the last 50 years in America (including Canada).

His track record shows he only wins with other guys players. Outside of the second place at Wagner all his success was right when he'd arrive then would drastically fall off. James Madison & SUNY being awful
Maigh Eo for Sam

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2023, 09:53:14 AM »
Mike Deane made the mistake of talking up playing in the NIT as something to strive for.  Credit to Cords and Father Wild for deciding that wasn’t what they wanted.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2023, 10:10:07 AM »
Now I will say, from an outsiders perspective they probably don’t realize the absurd amount of money Marquette spends on their basketball program.

They more than likely see a small, private, Midwestern without football money. But they play in an NBA stadium and can spend with the big boys in regards to basketball.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2023, 12:26:05 PM »
For those who do not know or remember, the only problem with Rick Majerus was that he got the MU job too early in life. He just was not ready for it. And, yes, moving to the Bucks was a seemingly amicable way for both parties to move on. As I remember, after the Bucks, he went  to Ball State for a couple of years to get back into college coaching.  And, as most of you know, Majerus later became a really, really good coach at both SLU and Utah. At both places, he accomplished wonders with talent that was mediocre, including, as I recall, one Final Four with Utah.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2023, 12:29:27 PM »
Rick won the MAC in year two at Ball State, was seeded #9 in the tournament and upset Pitt in the first round. Lost in the second round to the Flyin' Illini, who would get to the Final Four.

He got to the National Championship game with Utah with Andre Miller as his best player. They had a halftime lead before folding against Kentucky. It was quite the run, blowing out defending national champion Arizona in the Elite 8, and a UNC team that included Vince Carter and Antwan Jamison in the Final Four.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 12:32:41 PM by The Sultan of Semantics »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2023, 12:34:33 PM »

Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought O’Neil at that time made like $200k at MU and went to Tennessee for $400k ?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2023, 02:15:19 PM »
Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought O’Neil at that time made like $200k at MU and went to Tennessee for $400k ?

And IIRC, Marquette disagreed with his assertion that they needed to seriously upgrade the basketball facilities.
Have some patience, FFS.

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2023, 02:47:39 PM »
I think it was $70k. His contract was really bad. He said he would wipe his a$$ with it. He brought us back from the depths of despair.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2023, 02:53:49 PM »
Plenty of reasons why KO left but it started with money and ended with money. There were other issues on his list, and I think all of them were a smoke screen to not look like it was all about money. He did want better facilities, was pissed off at Cords and burned some bridges with alums and probably forced his own hand on having to leave. He is a stubborn guy and when was not going to back to down to anyone.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2023, 02:55:08 PM »
And IIRC, Marquette disagreed with his assertion that they needed to seriously upgrade the basketball facilities.

Well, the Old Gym was pretty sweet.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2023, 03:02:27 PM »
I think it was $70k. His contract was really bad. He said he would wipe his a$$ with it. He brought us back from the depths of despair.

By the time he left?   If so, he was right about what he could use it for lol

Bbudsj

• Walk-On
« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2023, 03:13:26 PM »
I had heard KO was in line for the MU job after Mike Deane, but it turned out he worked MU, then got a raise at Northwestern to stay.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2023, 03:18:01 PM »
Beyond the UT experience, MU and VCU are VERY different in terms of coach retention when it comes to conference, compensation, and perks.  Thats not to say it precludes someone wanting to move to a big public university or B10/SEC program, but VCU is a mid major and MU is certainly not.

Especially hilarious since before Chris Beard, they had made the NCAA 5 times in 20 years.  And 4 of those were with one of the top 5 college coaches of all time.

Its a bottom tier P5 job in a dumpy town in the middle of nowhere with minimal basketball history.  Beard had a school connection which is why they got him.

Spend a lot of time in Fort Worth,  and,  other than Tech fans (obviously),  all of the other fandoms says they have the least liked fans in Texas.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2023, 07:26:51 PM »
I would assume Payne will be unemployed at Louisville soon.
GO WARRIORS!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #120 on: March 07, 2023, 07:28:15 PM »
I would assume Payne will be unemployed at Louisville soon.

First full Louisville game I watched this year.  It was something
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2023, 08:01:38 PM »
I had heard KO was in line for the MU job after Mike Deane, but it turned out he worked MU, then got a raise at Northwestern to stay.
for those that were there I’m sure you’ll agree…at the 100th anniversary celebration, KO and Deane stole the show!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #123 on: March 07, 2023, 09:25:02 PM »
Let's go, Peay!
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2023, 07:55:16 AM »
Let's go, Peay!

My favorite college fan sign!