[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Coaching Carousel  (Read 88458 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2023, 08:36:03 PM »
I don’t know if Goodman and Buzz had a falling out per say, but they’re definitely not as close as they used to be.

Goodman ripped Buzz when he had his monologue on why they were “robbed” of a NCAA berth last year.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2023, 09:18:36 PM »
I don’t know if Goodman and Buzz had a falling out per say, but they’re definitely not as close as they used to be.

Goodman ripped Buzz when he had his monologue on why they were “robbed” of a NCAA berth last year.
Buzz burning a bridge? Shocking.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2023, 09:24:36 PM »

Smoke screen. Plausible deniability so he can now push him for Texas

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2023, 09:32:29 PM »
Smoke screen. Plausible deniability so he can now push him for Texas

Buzz Bunch getting hyped yet?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2023, 09:32:42 PM »
Buzz burning a bridge? Shocking.

Well played!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2023, 06:14:35 PM »
Texas Tech Head Coach Mark Adams Suspended. Will he survive?

https://hoopdirt.com/hot-texas-tech-suspends-mark-adams/
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2023, 08:58:11 PM »
Texas Tech Head Coach Mark Adams Suspended. Will he survive?

https://hoopdirt.com/hot-texas-tech-suspends-mark-adams/

Seems like an excuse to get out a puppet coach most players don’t seem to like.  The hot rumor is Grant McCasland from UNT is already set to slide in

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2023, 09:02:43 PM »
Seems like an excuse to get out a puppet coach most players don’t seem to like.  The hot rumor is Grant McCasland from UNT is already set to slide in
Agreed. They save on the buy-out.

Don't expect Bennett to take that job, quoting the Bible will get you fired at TTU.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2023, 09:18:03 PM »
Aaaaand the Texas Tech fans are already talking about Shaka as a replacement.

Football schools really think they own the world, huh?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2023, 09:59:31 PM »
Aaaaand the Texas Tech fans are already talking about Shaka as a replacement.

Football schools really think they own the world, huh?

UM fans as well.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2023, 10:25:14 PM »
Anyone talking about Shaka for any job right now has no understanding of his career.  At the beginning of the St. John’s game, Bennetti remarked that Shaka got a “massive ovation” from the crowd.  He’s in year 2 at a basketball school where the fans love him and he’s got the program rolling.  And we’ll be able to give him a raise.  Compare that to how he was treated by Texas, which was his “grass is greener” job.  Shaka won’t be going anywhere for a while.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2023, 11:31:01 PM »
Anyone talking about Shaka for any job right now has no understanding of his career.  At the beginning of the St. John’s game, Bennetti remarked that Shaka got a “massive ovation” from the crowd.  He’s in year 2 at a basketball school where the fans love him and he’s got the program rolling.  And we’ll be able to give him a raise.  Compare that to how he was treated by Texas, which was his “grass is greener” job.  Shaka won’t be going anywhere for a while.

VCU fans said damn near the same thing when Illinois, Marquette, and who knows who else came calling eight or ten years ago. I wouldn't stake anything to my perception of happy he is with the fans, how good the program is, or MU's ability to give him a raise.

The difference between now and then is, as you point out, UT.  He's done the Big XII gig.  It's my hope that that's enough because if this year is any indication of future success, his name will come up a lot in coming years.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2023, 03:41:38 AM »
Well, that's because MU is view as this year's VCU, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2023, 06:20:04 AM »
Shaka’s not moving, eh.

Making what he asked for, and he is winning.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2023, 08:31:54 AM »
Well, that's because MU is view as this year's VCU, hey?

Wojo did this to us

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2023, 08:38:48 AM »
Wojo did this to us

Nah, he’s afraid Marquette is good again and he can’t be miserable
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2023, 08:43:45 AM »
Do you think Wojo is less than a fan of Shaka?

Some AD: "So why did it not work out at Marquette, Steve?"
Wojo: "It is very hard, if not impossible to win at MU."
Some AD: "Is see what you mean by looking at Shaka's record. You can leave now."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2023, 08:46:18 AM »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2023, 08:49:33 AM »
VCU fans said damn near the same thing when Illinois, Marquette, and who knows who else came calling eight or ten years ago. I wouldn't stake anything to my perception of happy he is with the fans, how good the program is, or MU's ability to give him a raise.

The difference between now and then is, as you point out, UT.  He's done the Big XII gig.  It's my hope that that's enough because if this year is any indication of future success, his name will come up a lot in coming years.

Marquette has been looking for their coach-til-retirement guy for 45 years.  Maybe it's hindsight but looking back, the coaches since Al all left for one of two reasons: bigger ambitions or got fired.  Having done the Texas thing, I'm not convinced Shaka has bigger ambitions anymore (though I'm certainly not in his head to know).  So that leaves getting canned...which doesn't appear likely anytime soon.  As long as things don't nosedive I really do think Shaka can be the "til retirement" guy we've wanted for so long.

Wojo: I actually think Wojo would have loved to be a "til retirement" guy (other than Duke), but he just wasn't a fit.  Fired.
Buzz: Bigger Ambitions.  He was never staying anywhere for long.
Crean: Bigger Ambitions (but if you asked him today, he knows he shouldn't have left)
Deane: Sucked. Fired
O'Neill: Bigger Ambitions.
Dukiet: Sucked. Fired.
Majerus: I'm too young to know what exactly went with Rick, but moving to the NBA feels like a Bigger Ambitions kinda move.
Raymonds: Wasn't Al.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2023, 08:59:21 AM »
Marquette has been looking for their coach-til-retirement guy for 45 years.  Maybe it's hindsight but looking back, the coaches since Al all left for one of two reasons: bigger ambitions or got fired.  Having done the Texas thing, I'm not convinced Shaka has bigger ambitions anymore (though I'm certainly not in his head to know).  So that leaves getting canned...which doesn't appear likely anytime soon.  As long as things don't nosedive I really do think Shaka can be the "til retirement" guy we've wanted for so long.

Wojo: I actually think Wojo would have loved to be a "til retirement" guy (other than Duke), but he just wasn't a fit.  Fired.
Buzz: Bigger Ambitions.  He was never staying anywhere for long.
Crean: Bigger Ambitions (but if you asked him today, he knows he shouldn't have left)
Deane: Sucked. Fired
O'Neill: Bigger Ambitions.
Dukiet: Sucked. Fired.
Majerus: I'm too young to know what exactly went with Rick, but moving to the NBA feels like a Bigger Ambitions kinda move.
Raymonds: Wasn't Al.

Hard to justify saying Deane or Wojo sucked without including Majerus in there as well. MU record alone not the Utah or SLU records.
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2023, 09:01:07 AM »

Here we go.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2023, 09:01:21 AM »
My understanding was Majerus to the Bucks was more an easy way out for both parties.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2023, 09:18:27 AM »
My understanding was Majerus to the Bucks was more an easy way out for both parties.

This is correct.

I’m not sure if O’Neill had bigger aspirations per se than he was just a vagabond
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2023, 09:22:56 AM »
Mike Deane won 100 games in 5 years.

NIT Finals, C-USA Championship, 4 seed in '96.  The list goes on.

MU cans him and decides to change the admissions policy for Crean recruits and all of sudden we're competive again.  What does Mike do?  He goes down to Lamar and leads them to the Dance, then he goes to Wagner and hangs a Conferenc e Champ banner.

The man is all about Laundry, he hangs banners everywhere he goes.  4 jobs, 4 conference titles.

Probably the most underrated coach of the last 50 years in America (including Canada). 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2023, 09:25:25 AM »
This is correct.

I’m not sure if O’Neill had bigger aspirations per se than he was just a vagabond
To be fair, MU was in a bad place back then. In a conference with Detroit, Loyola and Evansville. I think anybody would have jumped at the chance to go to the SEC.