'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: GT Game - Spectator Observations  (Read 4484 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: GT Game - Spectator Observations
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2023, 09:40:56 AM »
Their next hire will be very interesting. It may be difficult to sell Holtmann or Mack to some of the Hilltop power brokers. I expect them to move out of Big John's shadow, but maybe not that far out. Shrewsbury would be a good candidate. One name I haven't heard but could be a great dark horse candidate is Ulric Maligi. Played at Howard, so he's known in the DMV, and has been an assistant under Larry Brown, Chris Beard, and Jerome Tang.
Interesting name.  Though, his coaching has been largely in Texas and is now at K-State.  One of the top assistants in the country.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2023, 09:47:43 AM »
Counterpoint...if someone owes me seven figures, I am going to get paid seven figures.

Seriously.  I think the notion that someone does the right thing out of pride or self respect by walking away from more than $10 million, in any context, is rather silly.

"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2023, 10:44:59 AM »
Their next hire will be very interesting. It may be difficult to sell Holtmann or Mack to some of the Hilltop power brokers. I expect them to move out of Big John's shadow, but maybe not that far out. Shrewsbury would be a good candidate. One name I haven't heard but could be a great dark horse candidate is Ulric Maligi. Played at Howard, so he's known in the DMV, and has been an assistant under Larry Brown, Chris Beard, and Jerome Tang.

Knowing Georgetown, I suspect you're playing in the right sandbox, if you know what I mean...and I'm pretty sure you do.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2023, 12:15:41 PM »
Knowing Georgetown, I suspect you're playing in the right sandbox, if you know what I mean...and I'm pretty sure you do.

There's no shadow at this point. There's also no contingency plan because the men's basketball coach does not report to the athletic director.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2023, 12:52:00 PM »
There's no shadow at this point. There's also no contingency plan because the men's basketball coach does not report to the athletic director.

Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm aware that the basketball coach at Georgetown reports to DeGioia. My reference was to who they might hire.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2023, 01:24:05 PM »
Patrick Ewing has a contract with a buyout.  He should get what’s due to him like every other coach that fails.  It’s not his responsibility to fire himself.

Exactly.

Zero scoopers would walk away from that kind of money, yet some suggest that Patrick should.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2023, 01:29:57 PM »
I thought it was known that G’town already has the money ready to buy him out but they’re waiting for the season to end to save him the embarrassment.

I think they go with Chris Holtman or Chris Mack

#scooptakes

OSU and Louisville would be glad to part with either.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2023, 01:44:17 PM »
#scooptakes

OSU and Louisville would be glad to part with either.

Louisville and Mack parted ways in January '22.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2023, 01:48:21 PM »
Louisville and Mack parted ways in January '22.

Yes, they bought him out.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2023, 01:59:54 PM »
Yes, they bought him out.

Just found your wording very strange- "would be glad to part with". I thought it implied that there was still a contract in force between Mack and UL.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2023, 02:02:08 PM »
Just found your wording very strange- "would be glad to part with". I thought it implied that there was still a contract in force between Mack and UL.

Unless I'm mistaken, if Georgetown wanted Mack, they'd have to cover the salary that Louisville owes him.  Louisville would love that.

I do see where I wasn't really clear.  My bad.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2023, 02:05:11 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken, if Georgetown wanted Mack, they'd have to cover the salary that Louisville owes him.  Louisville would love that.

I do see where I wasn't really clear.  My bad.

Thanks. Gotcha.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2023, 03:45:31 PM »
Didn't think of that angle.
The part I honestly cannot understand is why he seems determined to continue as long as he can. He is making a fool of himself. Where is the self-pride, self-respect?

Recall that Ewing was well past his prime when he retired from the NBA.  I don't know too many players with a retired number who was willing to be a benchwarmer at the end of his career.

Maybe he's one of those guys who doesn't know when to throw in the towel.
Have some patience, FFS.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2023, 05:15:04 PM »
Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm aware that the basketball coach at Georgetown reports to DeGioia. My reference was to who they might hire.

See the above post referencing a candidate in John Thompson's shadow.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2023, 07:26:52 PM »
Brey to Georgetown?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2023, 07:36:40 PM »
Georgetown’s marketing department must really suck.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

nyg

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2023, 07:40:32 PM »
Brey to Georgetown?

Distinct possibility, especially with.his DMV ties.  If Georgetown does not win again or even one game, that’s two to three BE wins in three years.  They have to plug the plug.

My guess is him, VaTech asst Mike Jones ( long time DeMatha coach) and Kim English.

BTW, Ewing has a net worth in the vicinity of 75 million dollars.