[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: GT Game - Spectator Observations  (Read 4567 times)

rgoode57

• Starter
GT Game - Spectator Observations
« on: February 11, 2023, 06:40:20 PM »
My wife and I were at the GT game today, and I have to report that it was a somewhat depressing experience - not the outcome, which I was glad to see, but the experience in general. We were there early enough to watch the two teams warm up, and it was immediately obvious who would win. The MU players went through warm-up drills crisply with good energy and focus and with plenty of chatter. GT players warmed up lethargically and mechanically. Once the game started, the outcome was never in doubt. I cannot say that MU played tremendously because, quite frankly, GT players did not seem to be all that interested for the first 3/4 of the game. It seemed to be almost a practice game for MU.

The arena was the single most subdued place I have ever been in for a basketball game. At the start of the game, the place was only about 1/3 filled, though it did eventually get to about half full. There were nearly as many MU fans as GT supporters, and the GT fans who were there did not seem to expect much. Een when a GT player made a good play (and there were some) the GT fans just sort of softly applauded and went back to their conversations.

Even Patrick Ewing seemed largely disinterested. During timeouts, he spent most of the time talking to the refs and staring blankly into the stands. He brought no energy at all to his team, and it showed. I cannot imagine how his personal pride allows him to continue this farce. I talked briefly to an usher who is a big basketball fan, and she told me that this was pretty indicative of all GT home games these days. She said weeknight games have very small crowds.

I have been a BE basketball fan for a long time and find it depressing that GT has fallen so far. What is going on at GT now is no fun for basketball fans, certainly no fun for GT fans, and no fun for GT players. And, I cannot imagine that visting teams find it very enjoyable either.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: GT Game - Spectator Observations
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 06:53:16 PM »
Next year will be very interesting.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 06:58:50 PM »
I am absolutely delighted to see MU pummel The Hoyas into the ground while they are down .  Their fans certainly had no charity to us in our down times.

This current Georgetown circumstance won’t last long . Eventually a quality coach will show up and turn their program back around. Too much history and available talent for the Ewing Embarrassment to endure.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 07:01:17 PM »
It has never seemed that Patrick Ewing was or is connected to his players.  And that’s just a built in disaster. 

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 07:01:53 PM »
I am absolutely delighted to see MU pummel The Hoyas into the ground while they are down .  Their fans certainly had no charity to us in our down times.

This current Georgetown circumstance won’t last long . Eventually a quality coach will show up and turn their program back around. Too much history and available talent for the Ewing Embarrassment to endure.

Completely agreed. A good Georgetown team is good for the big east overall, but it does nothing for MU. I’m fine with them and DePaul fighting for second last place every year.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 07:56:58 PM »
Game attendance according to box score was just over 7,000 in an arena seating 20,000.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 08:48:50 PM »

Even Patrick Ewing seemed largely disinterested. During timeouts, he spent most of the time talking to the refs and staring blankly into the stands.

I noticed that even on TV.  During one timeout Shaka had the team surrounding him, and Patrick Ewing was standing away from the team and facing the other direction.
Have some patience, FFS.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 08:52:38 PM »
I was also at the game- just got back home. For the most part, I agree with you, but I think there was some decent applause for some plays when the low number of GT fans present were taken into consideration. I cut the GT fans a lot of slack. The fact that some still show up at games in itself is impressive.

My wife and I joined our DC area friends at the game. The husband played for Tennessee decades ago and is an avid bball fan. He commented that GT played too much one on one like the pros rather than team ball.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 08:53:48 PM »
Thanks for supporting the Warriors.  Let's make every away game a home game.

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2023, 10:20:45 PM »
It would be great if Georgetown, DePaul, St. John’s got good again. Just not as good as us.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2023, 10:23:33 PM »
I would be happy with MU being #1 with a ten-way tie for second place.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 10:29:27 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2023, 10:26:16 PM »
My wife and I went to the 2020 game at Georgetown. MU pulled out a win in an exciting, close game, with Markus and McClung trading big plays, and the crowd was into it. Probably 12K or 13K there, so still not a full house, but fun nonetheless.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2023, 11:10:18 PM »
Wojo to GT... keep 'em down at the BEAST basement!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2023, 08:09:55 AM »
My wife and I went to the 2020 game at Georgetown. MU pulled out a win in an exciting, close game, with Markus and McClung trading big plays, and the crowd was into it. Probably 12K or 13K there, so still not a full house, but fun nonetheless.

We were there too. Yeah, it was a lot of fun.

At the BET and when we go to DC, I bring my 1970 Press Book (actually, a small booklet) that is chock full of data from the era and has some great pen and ink caricatures of the players. We had 4 MU grads, probably about 30 years old, right in front of us yesterday and, just like at the other venues, I handed it to them to peruse. Just like at the BET, they took quite a few photos with their cameras and scan the data. A group of then current students at the BET were especially fascinated by the booklet. So much for the generational war BS, at least as far as bball is concerned. On the cover? Al, of course. It's a great way to bridge the huge age gap and focus on our common bond.

After the 2020 game, a father was posing for a family photo along with his 2 recent GT grad daughters. I offered my MU scarf for the photo and carefully draped it over his shoulders. Afterwards, I asked his daughters if their father was going to rub it in. They replied in stereo "OH, yes!". A Marquette student who ID'd himself as a soph watched the family photo taking place and approached me, a Marquette fossil, and asked if I would be coming to any of the games in Milwaukee. Things like the 2020 post-game events make being at a game so much more rewarding rather than watching on TV. I also enjoy chatting it up with anyone in MU gear at halftime.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2023, 08:36:19 AM »
We were there too. Yeah, it was a lot of fun.

At the BET and when we go to DC, I bring my 1970 Press Book (actually, a small booklet) that is chock full of data from the era and has some great pen and ink caricatures of the players. We had 4 MU grads, probably about 30 years old, right in front of us yesterday and, just like at the other venues, I handed it to them to peruse. Just like at the BET, they took quite a few photos with their cameras and scan the data. A group of then current students at the BET were especially fascinated by the booklet. So much for the generational war BS, at least as far as bball is concerned. On the cover? Al, of course. It's a great way to bridge the huge age gap and focus on our common bond.

After the 2020 game, a father was posing for a family photo along with his 2 recent GT grad daughters. I offered my MU scarf for the photo and carefully draped it over his shoulders. Afterwards, I asked his daughters if their father was going to rub it in. They replied in stereo "OH, yes!". A Marquette student who ID'd himself as a soph watched the family photo taking place and approached me, a Marquette fossil, and asked if I would be coming to any of the games in Milwaukee. Things like the 2020 post-game events make being at a game so much more rewarding rather than watching on TV. I also enjoy chatting it up with anyone in MU gear at halftime.

Great report Snooper. MU games are for memories.  On many occasions, we have had four generations present in MKE for a game. Even though I am the only alum yet, they all follow MU religiously driven by in-person games.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2023, 08:43:22 PM »
Curious .. why didn't Georgetown fire Ewing a month ago?  Or tomorrow?  What's the reason to wait?

Can't get worse.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2023, 08:50:58 PM »
Curious .. why didn't Georgetown fire Ewing a month ago?  Or tomorrow?  What's the reason to wait?

Can't get worse.

The buyout might still be prohibitive. I think their best chance is Ewing doesn’t want to keep going and they negotiate a lower buyout.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2023, 10:36:40 PM »

Can't get worse.

I wonder how much next year factors in. It's the 40 year anniversary of their 1977, as the Hoyas won their title in 1984. They've already fired the son of the deceased coach, do they want to fire the best player right before what should be a celebratory year? Or bring him back, likely to hear some boos at those celebrations? Interesting debate on the Hilltop.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2023, 07:33:11 AM »
I wonder how much next year factors in. It's the 40 year anniversary of their 1977, as the Hoyas won their title in 1984. They've already fired the son of the deceased coach, do they want to fire the best player right before what should be a celebratory year? Or bring him back, likely to hear some boos at those celebrations? Interesting debate on the Hilltop.

Didn't think of that angle.

I imagine that Ewing has plenty of money set aside already. The part I honestly cannot understand is why he seems determined to continue as long as he can. He is making a fool of himself. Where is the self-pride, self-respect? If he had left after last season, the narrative would still be almost entirely on his phenomenal career in the NCAA and NBA. Now? I'm not so sure.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2023, 07:47:55 AM »

I imagine that Ewing has plenty of money set aside already. The part I honestly cannot understand is why he seems determined to continue as long as he can. He is making a fool of himself. Where is the self-pride, self-respect? If he had left after last season, the narrative would still be almost entirely on his phenomenal career in the NCAA and NBA. Now? I'm not so sure.

Patrick Ewing has a contract with a buyout.  He should get what’s due to him like every other coach that fails.  It’s not his responsibility to fire himself. 

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2023, 08:05:58 AM »
I thought it was known that G’town already has the money ready to buy him out but they’re waiting for the season to end to save him the embarrassment.

I think they go with Chris Holtman or Chris Mack
Bring back FFP!!!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2023, 08:07:36 AM »

Counterpoint...if someone owes me seven figures, I am going to get paid seven figures.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2023, 08:30:06 AM »
I thought it was known that G’town already has the money ready to buy him out but they’re waiting for the season to end to save him the embarrassment.

If this is what is in the wind, great! Make it look like a mutual decision to save face and pay him his buyout. He and his team have become an embarrassment to the BE.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2023, 08:52:40 AM »
The arena was the single most subdued place I have ever been in for a basketball game. At the start of the game, the place was only about 1/3 filled, though it did eventually get to about half full. There were nearly as many MU fans as GT supporters, and the GT fans who were there did not seem to expect much. Een when a GT player made a good play (and there were some) the GT fans just sort of softly applauded and went back to their conversations.

This was the second largest paid crowd of the year. A game in November was promoted as "free admission for everyone" and just over 7,000 showed up. Average announced attendance is just over 5,000 a game.

Georgetown has not sold out a game in 10 years or been ranked in the last eight. The in-game experience befits a team which rents an pro arena and gets little for it: no revenue for parking, concessions, or suites. It figuratively rents two hours of floor time and little else.

The fan base is burned out and many will never come back.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 08:59:29 AM by DFW HOYA »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2023, 08:59:43 AM »

Their next hire will be very interesting. It may be difficult to sell Holtmann or Mack to some of the Hilltop power brokers. I expect them to move out of Big John's shadow, but maybe not that far out. Shrewsbury would be a good candidate. One name I haven't heard but could be a great dark horse candidate is Ulric Maligi. Played at Howard, so he's known in the DMV, and has been an assistant under Larry Brown, Chris Beard, and Jerome Tang.

feedback