[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Tyler Kolek ... All-American?  (Read 6159 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: Tyler Kolek ... All-American?
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2023, 03:02:17 PM »
Yea no...

Marcus Sasser, Jalen Pickett, Kendric Davis, Markquis Nowell, Darius Mcghee at Liberty.

Probably some other advance stat arguments for Reece Beekman, one of the Tennessee guards, and maybe even one purdue guard if we get nerdy.

Heck I would have Kam over Tyler. Tyler has been the best player the past 5 games but this is a huge overreaction.
Darius Mcghee is not a point guard. He is averaging 2.8 assists a game. His two high major opponents (Nothwestern and Alabama), he has 0 assists.And he shot 9-29 in those games.

Agree on the others though. But success of the team may put him past a few of those.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2023, 03:03:27 PM »
Love Kam

But Kam over TK on any sort of "all team" whether its BE or america is insanity. And it wont happen.

Barring some insane run by Kam starting Sunday.

In conference games only, amongst players with 20% or more usage, Tyler is the #1 player in Orating. Kam #7.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2023, 03:45:25 PM »
In conference games only, amongst players with 20% or more usage, Tyler is the #1 player in Orating. Kam #7.

Also, Kolek is averaging only 2 fewer points than Jones in conference games while contributing 4x as many assists. Tyler also has more rebounds and steals. Again, I'd be surprised if Kam is above Tyler on any of the BEast honor lists.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2023, 04:20:42 PM »
I think he has too much scoring ground to make up to be an All-American pick. I hope he's at least honorable mention.

I will agree to disagree with you about Tyler/Kam. Voters will value Kolek's assists, and most will have watched Marquette play several times, so they will have seen how Kolek makes the nation's #1 offense go. I believe the All-Big East and BEPOY voting will put Tyler ahead of Kam, perhaps well ahead of him. If I end up being wrong about that, I will happily tip my hat to you.

Probably right about the voters.

But Kam No Kolek is a better lineup than Kolek No Kam, so far this year. 30.1 Adj. Net Rating vs 19.2. Marquette somehow stays insanely efficient without Kolek and with Kam. With Kam they have a lower turnover rate.

Better on Defense and Offense. This is surprising because i think Kolek is a better defender than Kam.  Plus the Kam Lineup defends the three better (my guess as to why is i bet Joplin is in with Kolek and not Kam).

It becomes more Kam centric and i would be concerned if it happened all of the time, but Kam's impact is probably larger on this MU teams than Koleks. Its just probably a bad time to say this because Kolek is on a heater and could easily stay on one and flip this in 1 or 2 games.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2023, 04:36:35 PM »
This team will make noise this year in the tournament and most of the starters will have to shine to do it.  Next year if they return and this team is preseason top 10, Kolek and Oso will be on some preseason all American lists.  Kam will get his due as well.

Obviously things have to go well this year to create buzz but so far so good.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2023, 04:39:51 PM »
Love Kam

But Kam over TK on any sort of "all team" whether its BE or america is insanity. And it wont happen.

Barring some insane run by Kam starting Sunday.

@$@*! , I bought tickets to a game on Saturday!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2023, 04:57:57 PM »
@$@*! , I bought tickets to a game on Saturday!

Sh it

was looking at something else that was Sunday at the time I typed it.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Goose

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2023, 05:02:26 PM »
Shooter

If they make noise in March, which I expect, and return the guys next year I think they will be top 5 going into next season.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2023, 05:09:48 PM »
Shooter

If they make noise in March, which I expect, and return the guys next year I think they will be top 5 going into next season.

Gonna enjoy the season. Last time we had that mindset we didn't know the team had taken an elective in letter writing.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2023, 05:35:30 PM »
Gonna enjoy the season. Last time we had that mindset we didn't know the team had taken an elective in letter writing.

Ha! 

Goose,  i agree top five is definitely a possibility.

PGsHeroes32

• All American

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2023, 05:52:31 PM »
Probably right about the voters.

But Kam No Kolek is a better lineup than Kolek No Kam, so far this year. 30.1 Adj. Net Rating vs 19.2. Marquette somehow stays insanely efficient without Kolek and with Kam. With Kam they have a lower turnover rate.

Better on Defense and Offense. This is surprising because i think Kolek is a better defender than Kam.  Plus the Kam Lineup defends the three better (my guess as to why is i bet Joplin is in with Kolek and not Kam).

It becomes more Kam centric and i would be concerned if it happened all of the time, but Kam's impact is probably larger on this MU teams than Koleks. Its just probably a bad time to say this because Kolek is on a heater and could easily stay on one and flip this in 1 or 2 games.

This is where advanced stats fail.  Kam is extremely valuable to the team, yet you take Kolek off this team and we are probably a 40-70 ranked offense. 

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2023, 06:18:16 PM »
Kolek and Kam…Fire and Ice

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2023, 06:32:30 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2023, 06:49:34 PM »
More TK love

https://heatcheckcbb.com/rauf-report-why-tennessee-is-overrated-how-texas-is-primed-for-tournament-success-more/

Thanks for that link. I especially liked this paragraph, and agree with it wholeheartedly:

I firmly believe that if he played for a team like Villanova, Duke or Kansas, there would be a bigger national conversation about his standing among the nation’s best point guards. Maybe even some debate over his status as an All-American. He is that good, and it’s time we started appreciating that.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2023, 07:39:48 PM »
I prefer Shake and Bake

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2023, 08:36:11 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1991/03/14/fire-ice-a-pair-of-aces-at-nc-state/fc407cfb-96b7-4a66-8b0e-e7a714627ad4/

Retro article…The duo i first heard ‘fire and ice’ used for.  Crazy article w/mentions of point shaving and paying players. 

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2023, 08:47:17 PM »
This is where advanced stats fail.  Kam is extremely valuable to the team, yet you take Kolek off this team and we are probably a 40-70 ranked offense.

Long term yes... In bursts, just not true. The exact opposite is true. Kam only lineups are a #1 offense Tyler only offenses are a #9 offense.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2023, 08:48:26 PM »
Darius Mcghee is not a point guard. He is averaging 2.8 assists a game. His two high major opponents (Nothwestern and Alabama), he has 0 assists.And he shot 9-29 in those games.

Agree on the others though. But success of the team may put him past a few of those.

Yes because All-American teams have a strict positional labels. Oh wait, they don't at all

I don't think he is a better PG. But he is probably a better guard
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 08:54:47 PM by jfp61 »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2023, 09:10:48 PM »
Thanks for that link. I especially liked this paragraph, and agree with it wholeheartedly:

I firmly believe that if he played for a team like Villanova, Duke or Kansas, there would be a bigger national conversation about his standing among the nation’s best point guards. Maybe even some debate over his status as an All-American. He is that good, and it’s time we started appreciating that.

Preseason all American next year 82!  Book it!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2023, 09:26:30 PM »
Preseason all American next year 82!  Book it!

Wouldn’t surprise me at all, especially if he and the rest of our heroes take care of business in March.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2023, 09:35:00 PM »
My heroes are something different than 18-22 year old athletes.

PGsHeroes32

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2023, 10:46:09 PM »

Yes, because I actually meant that Marquette basketball players are any Scooper's actual heroes in life, as every word on interwebs sites is to be taken literally.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2023, 12:51:46 AM »

Ha! Teal?  If not you either think too highly of yourself or too lowly of your scoop brethren. 

feedback