[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurants Thread  (Read 19474 times)

WarriorFan

• All American
Re: Restaurants Thread
« Reply #300 on: February 26, 2024, 05:17:52 PM »
If you're ever in Capetown:
Salsify at the Roundhouse.  Beautiful view of Camps Bay and amazing food with better service.
Cavalli Estate.  Great wine, fantastic view, a real experience.

"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #301 on: February 26, 2024, 06:10:50 PM »
Cafe Manna is great, as is Cafe 1505, big fan 😁. You a quinoa guy or wild rice guy? Yeah, I gotta get that waistline moving back in the right direction.

Check out Strange Town sometime.

Not a fan of either. Generally ask for extra veggies instead. Ever been to Harvey's in The Quon?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #302 on: February 26, 2024, 07:25:33 PM »

Not a fan of either. Generally ask for extra veggies instead. Ever been to Harvey's in The Quon?

I’ve always liked both as gluten/grain free options and as sort of a blank canvas. Haven’t been to Harvey’s in a LONG time, maybe 10+ years. How are they holding up?

Just got back from Philly, some restaurant thread additions:

Fiorella—Very highly rated, tiny Italian spot, stalked a reservation a month out, sat at the bar across from where they cook the food (party of four, bar is the only option), only 10 or so seats at the bar and maybe 10 seats in small tables around the bar. Homemade pastas, good wine and cocktails. Service is exceptional, staff saw we were basically trying the entire menu minus a few pastas, so they brought out the ones we didn’t order for us to try. Food a bit underwhelming, escargot arrancini app was on the salty side, which I liked but did mention, from that point on the food was under seasoned. Perhaps they actually adjusted to what they thought I wanted, which would have been incredible. Desserts were capital P Phenomenal.

Helm—Classic neighborhood BYO joint. Service again, impeccable. Food, underwhelming. I love texture, food was really one note, soft ish, except for the way too smoky way too under done roasted carrots. Desserts average. Drinks average cause I bought average wine at the University City Acme, not the best selection.

The Love—Brunch was good, shareable biscuits and scones were quite good, food above average to good, could be what we ordered because everything was presented really well. Service bordered on exceptional and overwhelming. Even in a fine dining spot, I would have felt I was asked too many times and too quickly to clear my plate or if I was done. Dial it back and service would be perfect.

Middle Child Clubhouse—My go to, brought about 15 to a late night dinner after a game at the Palestra. Food and service are exceptional, ambiance is very cool, I love this place. Another old guy and I cleaned up at the pool table over a bunch a lawyers. Good stuff. Big fan of places that ask if you want still or sparkling water and it’s good, filtered water in a clear wine bottle, not $10 for a San Pell. Such a fan of this place, didn’t realize it had gotten to 1am and were closing. College kids couldn’t wait for the dads to finish, hah! This place started me on my love for amaro journey.

As for the person who brought up Buckley’s, so glad to hear it’s back on track. I really like the bar area, but have been underwhelmed the last couple times I was there.

If you’re looking for another downtown MKE place, check out Safina, next to Taylor’s near Cathedral Square. Very good food, good wine list, excellent service, fits in the very good place that is not pretentious at all. When I venture out from my first love, a good hole in the wall, I love a place like Safina. Can still wear my jeans and a t-shirt and get a higher level experience.

Headed to Costa Rica in a few weeks, I know I’ve been one to offer some suggestions, but I’m looking for food spots in La Fortuna and Monteverde specifically. Never been to either part of the country.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 06:10:04 AM by 21Jumpstreet »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #303 on: February 27, 2024, 12:07:09 AM »
Middle Child Clubhouse—My go to, brought about 15 to a late night dinner after a game at the Palestra. Food and service are exceptional, ambiance is very cool, I love this place. Another old guy and I cleaned up at the pool table over a bunch a lawyers. Good stuff. Big fan of places that ask if you want still or sparkling water and it’s good, filtered water in a clear wine bottle, not $10 for a San Pell. Such a fan of this place, didn’t realize it had gotten to 1am and there closing. College kids couldn’t wait for the dads to finish, hah! This place started me on my love for amaro journey.

Someone (maybe you?) recommended Middle Child Clubhouse to me in this thread when I went to Philly back in October. I strongly recommend as well. Ambience is very cool and the breakfast sandwich I had there was possibly the best I breakfast sandwich I have ever had. Will definitely go back next time in Philly
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #304 on: February 27, 2024, 06:07:22 AM »
Someone (maybe you?) recommended Middle Child Clubhouse to me in this thread when I went to Philly back in October. I strongly recommend as well. Ambience is very cool and the breakfast sandwich I had there was possibly the best I breakfast sandwich I have ever had. Will definitely go back next time in Philly

It was probably me. They made their mark with those breakfast sandwiches, so good. Check em out for dinner sometime, too, you won’t be disappointed.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #305 on: February 27, 2024, 03:09:02 PM »

If you’re looking for another downtown MKE place, check out Safina, next to Taylor’s near Cathedral Square. Very good food, good wine list, excellent service, fits in the very good place that is not pretentious at all. When I venture out from my first love, a good hole in the wall, I love a place like Safina. Can still wear my jeans and a t-shirt and get a higher level experience.

Great to hear. Walked by it the other day and had it as a "we should try that spot" for my wife and I. Will have to check it out when we are up there again.

Re: Chicago spots

We went to Atelier on Friday (the old Elizabeth). It's pricey, but the service is absolutely fantastic and the food matches. I'd actually recommend trying the NA cocktail pairings if you're feeling bored with wine--they did a great job with them. On the short list for places to go back to.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #306 on: March 03, 2024, 12:49:16 PM »
Flying in for the UConn game Wednesday. Need some recommendations for the best Italian joint in Milwaukee. Go…

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #307 on: March 03, 2024, 03:09:30 PM »
Flying in for the UConn game Wednesday. Need some recommendations for the best Italian joint in Milwaukee. Go…

I am a big fan of Onesto in the Third Ward. 

https://onestomke.com/
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #308 on: March 03, 2024, 03:44:33 PM »
Zarletti's downtown, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #309 on: March 03, 2024, 05:32:59 PM »

Check out www.safinamke.com and www.calucchenzo.com

Safina is walking distance, Ca’Lucchenzo is on 61st and North.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #310 on: March 04, 2024, 03:02:19 PM »
Zarlett's is the nicest and fanciest. You will not have a bad meal there.  The downtown location makes sense for a meal, if you're working around #mubb.

Another option is Carini's is over by UWM and is the best of your traditional Sicilian spots.  Their sauce is the best in town and while their pizza is not VPN, it is just as good as any VPN spot.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 03:52:17 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #311 on: March 04, 2024, 03:27:29 PM »
If you're looking for something beyond a red sauce joint Ca Lucchenzo is the pick.

Downtown I'd probably go with Zarletti as well.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #312 on: March 06, 2024, 11:50:51 AM »

Il Mito in Tosa. Mrs. TAMU is the granddaughter of four Italian immigrants and none of their children married outside the tribe.  She turns her nose up at every Italian joint we go to because it's nowhere near as good as her familys (and being a regular consumer i can confirm she is correct). Il Mito is the one exception we've found in Milwaukee.

I loved Onesto personally (Mrs TAMU says it was okay)
TAMU

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #313 on: March 06, 2024, 01:36:36 PM »
Il Mito in Tosa. Mrs. TAMU is the granddaughter of four Italian immigrants and none of their children married outside the tribe.  She turns her nose up at every Italian joint we go to because it's nowhere near as good as her familys (and being a regular consumer i can confirm she is correct). Il Mito is the one exception we've found in Milwaukee.

I loved Onesto personally (Mrs TAMU says it was okay)

Your wife has good taste.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #314 on: March 06, 2024, 01:52:32 PM »
No Calderone Club ❤️? 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #315 on: March 06, 2024, 03:51:14 PM »
No Calderone Club ❤️?

Neither of us were impressed. Won't go back
TAMU

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #316 on: March 06, 2024, 04:24:35 PM »
Neither of us were impressed. Won't go back

TripAdvisor #3 Italian. Always packed pregame and even reserving three days before is a hard reservation. Seems to be the MU Mafia regular place. Very good in my experience.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g60097-c26-Milwaukee_Wisconsin.html

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #317 on: March 06, 2024, 05:45:27 PM »
TripAdvisor #3 Italian. Always packed pregame and even reserving three days before is a hard reservation. Seems to be the MU Mafia regular place. Very good in my experience.

I never trust Trip Advisor for restaurant reviews.  They are all written by tourists who don't have a point of comparison in that particular town.
Have some patience, FFS.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #318 on: March 06, 2024, 06:18:58 PM »
I never trust Trip Advisor for restaurant reviews.  They are all written by tourists who don't have a point of comparison in that particular town.

Some people spend more time on the Trip Advisor forums than on Scoop and you'll get an earful from them if you knock their website. You in the TA cult, Blackheart? haha

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #319 on: March 06, 2024, 06:45:02 PM »

Seconded, I'd rather use a Thrillist, timeout or eater list that hasn't really been updated in 10yrs than trip advisor.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #320 on: March 06, 2024, 11:00:43 PM »
Thanks for all the recommendations.
Went with 21’s recommendation of Safina. Place was awesome. Owner was there. Had a spot called Giovanni’s on the East Side for 30 years. Would Defintely go back.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #321 on: March 06, 2024, 11:31:09 PM »
Thanks for all the recommendations.
Went with 21’s recommendation of Safina. Place was awesome. Owner was there. Had a spot called Giovanni’s on the East Side for 30 years. Would Defintely go back.

So glad you enjoyed it, my wife and I are big fans.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #322 on: March 06, 2024, 11:32:08 PM »

I agree. Yet, the MU Faithful love Calderone. It's JB's Place.

That said, Stella's is underrated. Fair rating actually.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #323 on: March 07, 2024, 12:04:20 AM »

Haha, we both hated the food at Glorioso's too (#1 per your link). Guess we're not TripAdvisor people. Il Mito at 16 is absurd.
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #324 on: March 07, 2024, 09:12:09 AM »
Glorioso's is incredible.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback