[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurants Thread  (Read 19292 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Restaurants Thread
« Reply #325 on: March 07, 2024, 09:32:31 AM »
Zarletti's downtown, hey?

Easily.  Great food.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #326 on: March 07, 2024, 01:58:38 PM »
Glorioso's a grocery store, deli. Amazing lunch spot but I wouldn't do dinner there.

Calderone is solid but has benefitted from their location.  You'd have to have the MECCA's management not to be packed being where they are in relation to the FF + Baird Center.   I do love their sister spot next door San Georgio (VPN Pizza) but it's pricey.  In the Hauser days a lot of Steven Point royalty (Point Beer) would dine there on MU weekends.  Good people.  As for Calderone, Gino has done a nice job but I think Carmelo's spot up in Fox Point is better.

All that said...

Red sauce / pizza: Carini's
Fancy / big occassion: Zarletti
Great date night: Ca'Lucchenzo

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #327 on: March 07, 2024, 03:49:45 PM »
Glorioso's is incredible.

Per Mrs TAMU: "I would rather eat Rocky Rococo than Gloriosos"
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #328 on: March 07, 2024, 04:02:19 PM »
Per Mrs TAMU: "I would rather eat Rocky Rococo than Gloriosos"

Her loss.  It's awesome.

Like The Lens said, you aren't going there to sit down and eat dinner.  But to pick up some stuff you can make at home for dinner and grab a sandwich for lunch while you're there, it's amazing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #329 on: March 07, 2024, 04:15:16 PM »
Her loss.  It's awesome.

Like The Lens said, you aren't going there to sit down and eat dinner.  But to pick up some stuff you can make at home for dinner and grab a sandwich for lunch while you're there, it's amazing.

We've done both.  Not for us.  To each their own.
TAMU

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #330 on: March 07, 2024, 05:02:09 PM »
Glorioso's has some hits but I've had some genuinely awful stuff there (whatever they used to call their approximation of an Italian sub had an insane amount of peppers, the cannoli is insanely sweet, like icing instead of ricotta sweet)

That said I don't think it's anything particularly special that you wouldn't find in most larger cities. Ive for sure found various approximations in St Louis, Chicago, Boston, & NYC with some better and some worse.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #331 on: March 07, 2024, 08:26:58 PM »
Glorioso's has some hits but I've had some genuinely awful stuff there (whatever they used to call their approximation of an Italian sub had an insane amount of peppers, the cannoli is insanely sweet, like icing instead of ricotta sweet)

That said I don't think it's anything particularly special that you wouldn't find in most larger cities. Ive for sure found various approximations in St Louis, Chicago, Boston, & NYC with some better and some worse.

Chicago has bangin italian food. That being said...

Ca'Lucchenzo on the edge of Tosa is fantastic. Wonderful updated takes on traditional italian. Killer wine list.

Also don't sleep on the Rocky Rococo sausage super slice w/ the bread sticks and cheese sauce.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #332 on: March 07, 2024, 09:55:47 PM »

Ca'Lucchenzo on the edge of Tosa is fantastic. Wonderful updated takes on traditional italian. Killer wine list.

Also don't sleep on the Rocky Rococo sausage super slice w/ the bread sticks and cheese sauce.

We haven't gotten to Ca'Lucchenzo yet. High on our list.
TAMU

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #333 on: March 08, 2024, 06:55:35 AM »
We haven't gotten to Ca'Lucchenzo yet. High on our list.

First time I ate there, the meal entered the chat of top five MKE restaurant. Each time since hasn’t surpassed it, but the bar was set really high. On a beautiful night, eat outside in the back.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 07:33:42 AM by 21Jumpstreet »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #334 on: March 08, 2024, 07:08:24 AM »
Glorioso's a grocery store, deli. Amazing lunch spot but I wouldn't do dinner there.

Calderone is solid but has benefitted from their location.  You'd have to have the MECCA's management not to be packed being where they are in relation to the FF + Baird Center.   I do love their sister spot next door San Georgio (VPN Pizza) but it's pricey.  In the Hauser days a lot of Steven Point royalty (Point Beer) would dine there on MU weekends.  Good people.  As for Calderone, Gino has done a nice job but I think Carmelo's spot up in Fox Point is better.

All that said...

Red sauce / pizza: Carini's
Fancy / big occassion: Zarletti
Great date night: Ca'Lucchenzo

the best seafood and octopus salad i've had

great selections of Italian meats and cheeses.  never thought of it as a restaurant, but the smell of their stuff in the car on drive home was torture.  simple open face sciortinos bread Genoa or mortadella with a slice of provolone maybe some giardiniera on the side...don't bust my boo-alls and get the fu** outta heeya
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #335 on: March 08, 2024, 07:33:29 AM »
Tenuta’s is better
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #336 on: March 08, 2024, 09:34:45 AM »

I didn't realize they had a Porcini's.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #337 on: March 08, 2024, 09:41:00 AM »

sorry I wasn't trying to boost up Chicago in particular was only trying to point out that while Glorioso's concept is fairly uncommon in MKE (I guess Grappi sort of compares) it's not a particularly revolutionary concept with similar Italian markets existing all over many with better or worse food.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #338 on: March 08, 2024, 09:42:35 AM »

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #339 on: March 08, 2024, 02:34:22 PM »
Il Mito in Tosa. Mrs. TAMU is the granddaughter of four Italian immigrants and none of their children married outside the tribe.  She turns her nose up at every Italian joint we go to because it's nowhere near as good as her familys (and being a regular consumer i can confirm she is correct). Il Mito is the one exception we've found in Milwaukee.

I loved Onesto personally (Mrs TAMU says it was okay)

Was not super impressed by Il Mito. Ambiance was lacking (stereotypical Italian restaurant soundtrack interrupted by commercials!) Food presentation was middling. Food was pretty good, with the exception of the pasta. Tasted boxed. I’d go back, but there’d have to be a few other spots booked first before I turned to it.

On the other hand, recently went to Morel in Walker’s Point. Great food, great cocktails, good service.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #340 on: March 08, 2024, 03:13:26 PM »
Was not super impressed by Il Mito. Ambiance was lacking (stereotypical Italian restaurant soundtrack interrupted by commercials!) Food presentation was middling. Food was pretty good, with the exception of the pasta. Tasted boxed. I’d go back, but there’d have to be a few other spots booked first before I turned to it.

On the other hand, recently went to Morel in Walker’s Point. Great food, great cocktails, good service.

Morel is solidly in my top five MKE restaurants. Big fan

Goose

• All American
« Reply #341 on: March 08, 2024, 03:49:33 PM »
rocket

If I go to Benji's deli or Glorioso's I am eating all the way home. I go to Glorioso's quite a bit and love the car ride home. My mouth this watering as I write this post.

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #342 on: March 08, 2024, 03:59:57 PM »
Tenuta’s is better

Big fan of Tenuta’s but then again I grew up in a German household and still enjoy good sauerbraten every couple of years.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #343 on: April 16, 2024, 10:32:31 AM »
Ate at Smyth last week for my birthday and while it was truly incredible i wasn't blown away. I thought for a 3 Michelin star restaurant it'd be doing something out of this world but it was seemingly on par with the likes of El Ideas and Sepia.

Maybe my expectations were too high?
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #344 on: April 16, 2024, 12:12:34 PM »
For any NYC people, had dinner at Kochi in Hells Kitchen on Friday.  Ambitious modern Korean spot.  Fantastic tasting menu at a really reasonable price for a Michelin starred restaurant in Manhattan. 

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #345 on: April 24, 2024, 03:52:14 PM »
Ate at Smyth last week for my birthday and while it was truly incredible i wasn't blown away. I thought for a 3 Michelin star restaurant it'd be doing something out of this world but it was seemingly on par with the likes of El Ideas and Sepia.

Could have been- haven't been there, and have been avoiding the big tasting menus for the last few years.  But the burger at The Loyalist is pretty delicious!

Went to Bar Esme last weekend.  Only 3 courses (with some options) in the bar and easy to get in (cf the restaurant).  Great setting (change the artwork and the menu with the season), service, food and drink.  The "hot Cheetos" were a pretty decent gimmick and the rest of the food was beautifully plated and tasty.  I went dealer's choice on my cocktail, and had an amazing barrel rum based black Manhattan. 

Finally going to make it to Daisies first week of May.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #346 on: April 24, 2024, 04:37:37 PM »

I got confused for a sec and was thinking "The Smith is absoutely not a 3 star resto" lol. I'm a dummy.

RE: Lloyd's burger comment - I'm excited to try Mott St this weekend. The last notably good burger I had was at Leavitt St Tavern, owned by an MU alum. Dive-y, delicious, in Bucktown - https://www.theleavittstreet.com/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 01:58:57 PM by Skatastrophy »

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #347 on: April 25, 2024, 01:15:12 PM »
I got confused for a sec and was thinking "The Smith is absoutely not a 3 star resto" lol. I'm a dummy.

RE: Lloyd's burger comment - I'm excited to try Mott St this weekend. The last notably good burger I had was at Leavitt St Tavern, owned by an MU alum. Divy, delicious, in Bucktown - https://www.theleavittstreet.com/

Will have to try- heard it's great.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #348 on: April 25, 2024, 01:59:42 PM »
Will have to try- heard it's great.

If you go, they have a french fry app/side that has a couple of different dips with it. The fries are great and the dips are also great, worth it

feedback