'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bracketology Thread 2023  (Read 80735 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Bracketology Thread 2023
« Reply #625 on: March 07, 2023, 12:36:54 PM »
Except for this one: https://www.outkick.com/referees-missed-old-dominion-having-6-players-on-the-court-during-a-game-with-major-ncaa-tournament-implications/

Wow. I hadn't seen that. Terrible. Obviously, the officials blew it. But I'm amazed that with the size of coaching staffs these days, not a single coach on Troy's staff seemed to notice. At one point in that video you see seven members of the Troy staff standing around the huddle/bench. Nobody noticed? I understand that isn't a reviewable play, but I've seen plenty of coaches argue over plays that are not reviewable. There is no reaction by the Troy coaching staff. If they'd noticed, surely at least one of them would have been raising hell.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 12:40:28 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #626 on: March 07, 2023, 12:38:23 PM »
I think a rule making Wisconsin ineligible for post-season play (which I would support) would have fewer potential unintended consequences.
That would be unfair to cite a particular school. Now if the rule said "teams that play a god awful boring form of basketball, where watching paint dry would be more enjoyable are ineligible" that would accomplish the same thing and not cite a particular school.  ;D

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #627 on: March 07, 2023, 12:39:21 PM »
That would be unfair to cite a particular school. Now if the rule said "teams that play a god awful boring form of basketball, where watching paint dry would be more enjoyable are ineligible" that would accomplish the same thing and not cite a particular school.  ;D

Toe-May-Toe / Toe-Mah-Toe
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #629 on: March 07, 2023, 12:51:59 PM »
Currently sitting as the top 3 seed on Bracketmatrix:

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #630 on: March 07, 2023, 12:56:52 PM »
Currently sitting as the top 3 seed on Bracketmatrix:

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Iowa St knocking off Baylor or Utah taking down Zona works for me, preferably the latter.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #631 on: March 07, 2023, 01:04:32 PM »
Iowa St knocking off Baylor or Utah taking down Zona works for me, preferably the latter.

Just root for straight anarchy!
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #632 on: March 07, 2023, 01:11:05 PM »
Lots of discussion about whether UCLA can catch Purdue for the last 1-seed. In my scrub, I put UCLA ahead of Purdue, then I started bracketing...and discovered it doesn't work. If UCLA is a 1-seed, then all four 1-seeds will be playing on Thursday. That can't happen because there needs to be a destination for the 16-seeds in Dayton on Tuesday (to Thursday) and Wednesday (to Friday). Expect Purdue to capture the last 1-seed so the play-in can go to Columbus.

If it's not Purdue, it's more likely Texas will get the 1-seed in Denver than UCLA.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #633 on: March 07, 2023, 01:14:44 PM »
Lots of discussion about whether UCLA can catch Purdue for the last 1-seed. In my scrub, I put UCLA ahead of Purdue, then I started bracketing...and discovered it doesn't work. If UCLA is a 1-seed, then all four 1-seeds will be playing on Thursday. That can't happen because there needs to be a destination for the 16-seeds in Dayton on Tuesday (to Thursday) and Wednesday (to Friday). Expect Purdue to capture the last 1-seed so the play-in can go to Columbus.

If it's not Purdue, it's more likely Texas will get the 1-seed in Denver than UCLA.

That's interesting. Would a school ever get the choice between location and whether or not to be a one or two seed?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #634 on: March 07, 2023, 01:24:28 PM »

Interesting.  So Purdue gets a 1, UCLA probably gets the 2 seed in the west, Texas and Baylor go to the non-Kansas regions, and Arizona is the 2 in the Kansas region.

Which means Kansas State is the 3 in the west since it's the only region without a Big 12 team.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #635 on: March 07, 2023, 01:30:50 PM »

That's interesting. Would a school ever get the choice between location and whether or not to be a one or two seed?

The top overall seed gets to pick their region and opening weekend site, but no one else gets that option. I would still like to see a bracket draft, but it's probably too ambitious for the Selection Committee.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #636 on: March 07, 2023, 01:31:33 PM »
Interesting.  So Purdue gets a 1, UCLA probably gets the 2 seed in the west, Texas and Baylor go to the non-Kansas regions, and Arizona is the 2 in the Kansas region.

Which means Kansas State is the 3 in the west since it's the only region without a Big 12 team.

That's exactly what I came up with for those seedlines.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #637 on: March 08, 2023, 03:04:49 AM »
Today Joe Lunardi has Marquette as a #3Seed playing #14 Seed Kennesaw State in Des Moines with the #6 Seed being Michigan State

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #638 on: March 08, 2023, 06:03:07 AM »
I was really looking hard at Gonzaga over Arizona for the last 2-seed yesterday. I ended up with Arizona at 8 and Gonzaga at 11, but it was one of those cases where the lack of top tier road wins kept the Zags behind 9-Marquette and 10-K State, but if I lined them up with 8 Arizona the Zags were the better option.

After last night's destruction of St. Mary's, I think there's a strong chance the Zags jump up to the 2 line. Their worst metrics was kenpom and it went from 10 to 7. If their other predictives improve by just 1 each, they would have a 6.7 resume average, which warrants a 2-seed. The only question there is resume. They were 9/10 in KPI/SOR yesterday. In recent years, only one team has received a true seed lower than their lowest resume metric. If their KPI and SOR both improve to 8 or better, then Gonzaga likely jumps K-State, Marquette, and Arizona for the last 2.

Though honestly...I'm not sure Gonzaga would want that. Currently, they are likely to end up as a 3-seed out West, but if they go up to the 2-line, they will be unable to pass UCLA and have to get shipped to most likely the East. But because the WCC tournament wrapped Tuesday before the Selection Committee's first meeting, those results will be fully included in any evaluation. The 1-seeds and probably a good portion of the top-16 will be set today and tomorrow. Will be interesting.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #639 on: March 08, 2023, 07:04:41 AM »
Brew-

Right now I have Kansas State as the 3 seed in the west.  Alabama and Kansas get Louisville and Kansas City.  Houston is third on my S-Curve, they head to Vegas.  Purdue is last 1 seed, partly because of the play-in scenario you cover yesterday.

UCLA is 5th on my S-Curve.  They get placed in Vegas.  Texas and Baylor can't go  to the same region as Kansas, so they head to Louisville and NYC.

Which means Kansas State must be placed in Vegas.  I can see Gonzaga getting the 3 seed in Vegas in different scenarios, but I think the scenario I spelled out is most likely.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #640 on: March 08, 2023, 11:36:45 PM »
Today Joe Lunardi has Marquette as a #3Seed playing #14 Seed Kennesaw State in Des Moines with the #6 Seed being Kentucky

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #641 on: March 09, 2023, 12:48:03 AM »
Today Joe Lunardi has Marquette as a #3Seed playing #14 Seed Kennesaw State in Des Moines with the #6 Seed being Kentucky
Nice, we own Kentucky - would love to kick their a$$ again.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #642 on: March 09, 2023, 04:15:36 AM »

I'm not a huge fan of a matchup with Kentucky because they've been coming on stronger lately.

But it would be fun to add to the record of most played matchup in the NCAA tournament.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #643 on: March 09, 2023, 05:38:02 AM »
Playing Kentucky in the second round wouldn’t be my first choice, but if they’re going to play them better that it be in DesMoines than Columbus.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #644 on: March 09, 2023, 06:33:56 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of a matchup with Kentucky because they've been coming on stronger lately.

But it would be fun to add to the record of most played matchup in the NCAA tournament.

Kentucky plays some pretty stupid basketball
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #645 on: March 09, 2023, 06:49:40 AM »
Kolek and Oso would shred Tshiebwe in pick and roll.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #646 on: March 09, 2023, 06:56:22 AM »
Kolek and Oso would shred Tshiebwe in pick and roll.

THat would be the interesting thing about UK

Not sure how we even remotely keep Tshiebwe off the glass and stop him. But at the same time, like you said I think he would be on ice skates the entire time he plays D.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #647 on: March 09, 2023, 07:27:51 AM »
THat would be the interesting thing about UK

Not sure how we even remotely keep Tshiebwe off the glass and stop him. But at the same time, like you said I think he would be on ice skates the entire time he plays D.

Defend him like Soriano and Sanago.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #648 on: March 09, 2023, 07:59:58 AM »

Well I have heard from multiple online peeps that lunardi sucks. But his new bracket updated today has college of Charleston as the next 4 out (they won their conference tourney…)

He also has a real tough weekend draw for Texas A&M, who he has playing in Columbus as a 7 seed against USC.

Annnnd he also has Texas A&M playing in Sacramento as a 7 seed against NC state.

A lot of travel coming up for buzz’s team.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #649 on: March 09, 2023, 09:00:26 AM »
Well I have heard from multiple online peeps that lunardi sucks. But his new bracket updated today has college of Charleston as the next 4 out (they won their conference tourney…)

He also has a real tough weekend draw for Texas A&M, who he has playing in Columbus as a 7 seed against USC.

Annnnd he also has Texas A&M playing in Sacramento as a 7 seed against NC state.

A lot of travel coming up for buzz’s team.

2 chances to advance would be nice.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback