collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2024  (Read 49335 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Golf 2023
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2023, 06:00:20 PM »
Being top half of the field at the moment is impressive considering he hasn’t played competetively since July. 

But Rahm is damn impressive at the moment

For sure. The fact he’s having a great third round is encouraging since usually the weekend is when his body can’t keep up.

It’s amazing he’s playing any competitive golf at all. I’m a big Tiger fan and would love to see him win another tournament. 4 high quality rounds seems a little out of reach for him physically.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2023, 06:02:53 PM »
Rico

Rahm is playing fantastic golf. While I am an admitted Tiger groupie, if he finishes in Top 20, it will be an incredible accomplishment. I saw when he tee’d it up on Thursday it had been 844 days since he played in a non major.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2023, 06:08:42 PM »
Rico

Rahm is playing fantastic golf. While I am an admitted Tiger groupie, if he finishes in Top 20, it will be an incredible accomplishment. I saw when he tee’d it up on Thursday it had been 844 days since he played in a non major.

If he finishes top-20, I wonder where his odds for Augusta go to
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2023, 06:15:23 PM »
Rico

Trust me, this sucker will be buying Tiger at Augusta.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2023, 06:21:37 PM »
Rico

Trust me, this sucker will be buying Tiger at Augusta.

Get him now!  60 to 1

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2023, 06:35:08 PM »
All that money you'd think Tiger would take care of that bald spot somehow.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2023, 02:58:47 PM »
When I was young and watching golf, long before I started playing golf, I remember Arnie.  Mid 70's.  In his 40's, and he had no real shot at winning, but the broadcasts always showed him even when he was 15 shots back.   

I don't know if he will ever have the stamina to walk 4 straight days on a hilly course.   But he will always move the needle.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2023, 03:02:52 PM »
Tiger had a tough day today shot 73 . Finished -1 for tournament .

Pretty good for his first PGA Tour event in many months
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2023, 03:05:08 PM »
Tiger had a tough day today shot 73 . Finished -1 for tournament .

Pretty good for his first PGA Tour event in many months

From what we all saw over these four days, it'll be a mild surprise if he can win more than 3 majors this year.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2023, 03:37:07 PM »
Excellent post round  interview with Tiger. Seems like he is going to try and play all 4 majors if his body will allow it .

---Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2023, 03:53:05 PM »
tower

Like you, I have been a golf fan my entire life and I always loved to see Arnie, even in 15 back. What Arnie and Tiger have done for the sport is remarkable. I’ll admit, watching Tiger is still a thrill for me. I get why people do not understand all the coverage he gets, but I still love it.

I guess, when the tour players stop getting a thrill of Tiger playing I’ll follow suit. It seems to me that the young guys still love having a chance to play with Tiger.

Back to Arnie, the last time when he was at St. Andrews and was interviewed about being there still makes me tear up. A lifetime of giving to his profession and he felt like the lucky one. I miss Arnie.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2023, 04:12:48 PM »
tower

Like you, I have been a golf fan my entire life and I always loved to see Arnie, even in 15 back. What Arnie and Tiger have done for the sport is remarkable. I’ll admit, watching Tiger is still a thrill for me. I get why people do not understand all the coverage he gets, but I still love it.

I guess, when the tour players stop getting a thrill of Tiger playing I’ll follow suit. It seems to me that the young guys still love having a chance to play with Tiger.

Back to Arnie, the last time when he was at St. Andrews and was interviewed about being there still makes me tear up. A lifetime of giving to his profession and he felt like the lucky one. I miss Arnie.

Golf missed Arnie

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2023, 04:24:46 PM »
I think Tiger Woods has been great for professional golf.  I think he has been a HUGE missed opportunity for the sport of golf.  Arnie's popularity brought golf to the people - corresponding with an explosion of interest in the sport at the same time municipalities were opening up courses. My dad used to tell me of the lines he had to deal with at Currie Park on a Saturday morning.

Tiger's emergence caused a lot of courses to be developed, but they were largely private or high-end public courses.  Millennial and GenZ participation rates in the sport aren't great.  Will they eventually pick it up?  Who knows. Tiger should have been the guy to get people to the game  - and that didn't really happen.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2023, 04:30:52 PM »
Sultan,

Serious question, are you a golfer? I ask because I do believe that Tiger did bring people into the game in his prime. That said, I believe what your Dad told you to be true and Arnie changed the game. He was that damn cool.

Again, my question was more curiosity and if you ever felt that Tiger moved the needle on new golfers getting into the game.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2023, 04:39:39 PM »
When I was young and watching golf, long before I started playing golf, I remember Arnie.  Mid 70's.  In his 40's, and he had no real shot at winning, but the broadcasts always showed him even when he was 15 shots back.   

I don't know if he will ever have the stamina to walk 4 straight days on a hilly course.   But he will always move the needle.
I vividly remember Arnies last major that he was in contention in.

The 74 US Open at Winged Foot was a brutal set up . The Massacre at Winged Foot. The ABC broadcast focused on Arnie to the bitter end, even as the wheels had come off the Wagon many holes before the 18th. I was rooting hard for Arnie, but the course was just too extreme for him at that stage in his career .

The winner, Hale Irwin , shot 7 over par . Which I believe is still the highest over par a winner has shot in The Modern era of The US Open.
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2023, 04:44:23 PM »
Sultan,

Serious question, are you a golfer? I ask because I do believe that Tiger did bring people into the game in his prime. That said, I believe what your Dad told you to be true and Arnie changed the game. He was that damn cool.

Again, my question was more curiosity and if you ever felt that Tiger moved the needle on new golfers getting into the game.

Tiger absolutely brought people to the game.  I worked with people who took up golf because of Tiger.

It’s hard to grow the game.  It’s not cheap and where it is cheap, pace of play is often a slog on weekends.  Covid actually caused a massive boom.  Will it sustain?  We shall see

Goose

• All American
« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2023, 04:46:40 PM »
Rico

Covid did create a boom, but I think it slowed down a bit last year. It seemed like getting a tee time was easier and rounds a bit quicker. The quicker rounds made me think there were less newer golfers playing. During Covid, it was a death match on our home track.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2023, 04:47:46 PM »
Rico

Covid did create a boom, but I think it slowed down a bit last year. It seemed like getting a tee time was easier and rounds a bit quicker. The quicker rounds made me think there were less newer golfers playing. During Covid, it was a death match on our home track.

State of Wisconsin set a record for rounds played last year.  Simulator golf business is booming, too.

I am a proponent of shrinking the game, tbh 😬

Goose

• All American
« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2023, 04:50:48 PM »
Rico,

Simulators are jumping. I will say, we adjusted our normal tee times a bit last season. We enjoy playing one weekday after work and adjusted to early tee off on Thursday or Friday and got to work by 10:30. Adjusted weekend to mid morning instead of early morning. That might explain our quicker rounds.

Speaking of simulator, they are crazy expensive. I try to give my buddy business, but he is in the process of moving. The top joints are expensive.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2023, 04:54:52 PM »
Rico,

Simulators are jumping. I will say, we adjusted our normal tee times a bit last season. We enjoy playing one weekday after work and adjusted to early tee off on Thursday or Friday and got to work by 10:30. Adjusted weekend to mid morning instead of early morning. That might explain our quicker rounds.

Speaking of simulator, they are crazy expensive. I try to give my buddy business, but he is in the process of moving. The top joints are expensive.

Afternoon/work rounds the last three years have been harder to find.  I tend to play late on weekends, so my rounds usually moved fairly quick.  Still, pace of play has increased quite a bit since covid.

I do a simulator once a week and between the “golf” and drinks, it ain’t a cheap night

• All American
« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2023, 05:30:34 PM »
Sultan,

I am one of the few people who used to golf, but dropped it during peak Tiger. I had too much going on as a parent of young kids that I just didn't want to devote the time. Never really had the desire to return.

Tiger definitely brought people to the game. But the people he brought to the game weren't exactly reflective of society at large and didn't really meet the expectations that some had at the beginning of his career. But maybe that's unfair. And Rico is right - it's hard to grow a game like golf.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2023, 07:31:49 PM »

I do a simulator once a week and between the “golf” and drinks, it ain’t a cheap night

My experience was that nothing that ended with “and drinks” was.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2023, 07:36:30 PM »
Arnie was good for golf. So was Tiger. Know what was better than either? Covid.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2023, 10:15:40 PM »
Golf simulators are a big bubble ready to pop

• All American
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2023, 08:05:54 AM »