[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Catching Creighton on 5 game lose streak Good or Bad  (Read 10337 times)

NotAnAlum

• All American
Catching Creighton on 5 game lose streak Good or Bad
« on: December 13, 2022, 10:50:21 AM »
Creighton lost to AZ state making it 5 in a row.  Kind of thought it would be better for MU's chances if they had won.  Creighton is a good team with a lot of tradition and they are going to be desperate for a win this Friday.  That said their confidence could be pretty low and if we get off to a good start their desperation could lead to playing too tight and pressing.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 07:48:38 AM by NotAnAlum »

MU82

• All American
Re: Catching Creighton on 4 game lose streak Good or Bad
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 10:51:35 AM »
Doesn't matter.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 10:55:32 AM »
Its bad in the sense that a supposed Top BE team dropped 4 straight non con games to further hurt the conference and potential wins you get against them.

Does not matter as far as our game with them Friday.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 10:55:57 AM »
Kick them while they’re down.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 10:58:36 AM »
Creighton lost to AZ state making it 4 in a row.  Kind of thought it would be better for MU's chances if they had won.  Creighton is a good team with a lot of tradition and they are going to be desperate for a win this Friday.  That said their confidence could be pretty low and if we get off to a good start their desperation could lead to playing too tight and pressing.  Thoughts?

If by 4 you mean 5
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 10:59:13 AM »
More than anything, this is an opportunity for this Marquette team to get better.  They'll probably still hover around .500 give or take a game or 2 just because the Big East will find itself as the season rolls along.

I know some would be disappointed with a .500 conference record but a lot of the league will be right around there too. Should be a fun and competitive year across the board and this is a great first test. 

You might also say we have motivation after going 0-3 against Creighton last year.  Either way I expect this team to come out with a lot of energy and effort.  Don't worry about what Creighton will bring or how desperate they will be, play our game.  Last year we started 0-3 in league play and dug ourselves a little hole to start.  Hopefully this year we get out to a hot start in league play!

VIOLENCE!

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 11:08:15 AM »
More than anything, this is an opportunity for this Marquette team to get better.  They'll probably still hover around .500 give or take a game or 2 just because the Big East will find itself as the season rolls along.

I know some would be disappointed with a .500 conference record but a lot of the league will be right around there too. Should be a fun and competitive year across the board and this is a great first test. 

You might also say we have motivation after going 0-3 against Creighton last year.  Either way I expect this team to come out with a lot of energy and effort.  Don't worry about what Creighton will bring or how desperate they will be, play our game.  Last year we started 0-3 in league play and dug ourselves a little hole to start.  Hopefully this year we get out to a hot start in league play!

If we go 11-9 in league (around .500 as you stated) and only win a game in the BET,  we will be on the bubble.  The non-con for the league was quite poor this year so 11-9 may not do it.  Yes,  I will be disappointed as this team is better than that.

Agree that teams like Nova and Providence will improve as the season goes on.  Maybe a few others as well.  Nevertheless,  this team should go a minimum of 12-8 in conference.  I am expecting 13-7 now that I have seen what we can do.

Really need better than a 8-11 seed in tourney.  This team has the talent for a 6-7 seed.  For that I think 13-7 is a doable goal.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 11:09:22 AM »
If by 4 you mean 5
We need to kick their butts Thursday

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 11:15:01 AM »

Good idea, that should make the game easier on Friday :)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 11:15:46 AM »
If we go 11-9 in league (around .500 as you stated) and only win a game in the BET,  we will be on the bubble.  The non-con for the league was quite poor this year so 11-9 may not do it.  Yes,  I will be disappointed as this team is better than that.

Agree that teams like Nova and Providence will improve as the season goes on.  Maybe a few others as well.  Nevertheless,  this team should go a minimum of 12-8 in conference.  I am expecting 13-7 now that I have seen what we can do.

Really need better than a 8-11 seed in tourney.  This team has the talent for a 6-7 seed.  For that I think 13-7 is a doable goal.

I agree that they are talented enough to be a 6 or 7 seed, I'm just not sold on the results being that high.  Regardless of how the conference is in terms of quality, winning 12 of 20 games is still going to be difficult.  I wouldn't be any more shocked to see them go 8-12 as I would 12-8.

Their talent tells me they can be better than 10-10, but results don't always follow talent.  Starting 0-3 in league play like last year just won't cut it.  Gotta get out of the gates hot and we have a tough schedule to open up.
VIOLENCE!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 11:16:12 AM »

Would that be a Flagrant 2?
VIOLENCE!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2022, 11:21:36 AM »
As long as we can sore more points than them......

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2022, 11:25:15 AM »
Based on our losing streaks with Wojo, I would say it’s not necessarily easy to break them.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2022, 11:27:00 AM »
Creighton lost to AZ state making it 4 in a row.  Kind of thought it would be better for MU's chances if they had won.  Creighton is a good team with a lot of tradition and they are going to be desperate for a win this Friday.  That said their confidence could be pretty low and if we get off to a good start their desperation could lead to playing too tight and pressing.  Thoughts?

Bad because they're best player is returning after being out for 2 of the games, and Creighton just hurt their resume for 5 straight games.

Even if Marquette wins, the win looks worse.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2022, 11:27:15 AM »

Also look at it this way.

To go 13-7, Marquette would have to sweep 3 teams in league play...that is also assuming they beat the other 7 teams at least once (including UConn). That is a really tall task.
VIOLENCE!

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2022, 11:27:31 AM »

11-9 and 1 BET win will be a tournament team with a win vs. Baylor and no bad non-conf losses. If you think the Big East is bad, take a look at the ACC or Pac 12.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2022, 11:27:53 AM »
That is how MU can go 6-0 in the next 5 games.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2022, 11:34:14 AM »
They've been struggling. The team goal is to impose the tempo/pressure early. If the team can do that to Creighton it might take them out of the game early.

Hopefully the team can do it and have another sort of Baylor game.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2022, 11:39:15 AM »
I think I am trying too hard to keep the joke from the Notre Dame game running.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2022, 11:58:51 AM »
I think I am trying too hard to keep the joke from the Notre Dame game running.

Bummer.  I thought it might be a joke, but apparently I'm not keeping up with posts enough.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2022, 12:06:08 PM »
Bummer.  I thought it might be a joke, but apparently I'm not keeping up with posts enough.
I think we need to dock your pay.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2022, 12:19:00 PM »
11-9 and 1 BET win will be a tournament team with a win vs. Baylor and no bad non-conf losses. If you think the Big East is bad, take a look at the ACC or Pac 12.

But depending on how we win or lose those 22 games (conf + BET),  we might be a 10-11 seed.  Sure we could blow out the 11 wins, and barely lose the 9 losses then we will be a lock.  But it tends to equal out over the course of the season.

This team is better than that.  I really think a 6-7 seed is where we should be.  13-7.  Let's do this.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2022, 12:20:56 PM »
Bad because they're best player is returning after being out for 2 of the games, and Creighton just hurt their resume for 5 straight games.

Even if Marquette wins, the win looks worse.

Are we certain there best player will be playing in they’re next game after being out to or know?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2022, 12:51:24 PM »
By and large your losses (who you lost to and number of losses) have mattered far less than big wins. The Baylor win will go a long way. Would like to beat UCONN at least once. Otherwise our opportunities are teams with a ceiling of roughly a 5 seed like Xavier or Creighton if they were to turn it around.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2022, 12:53:09 PM »
Also look at it this way.

To go 13-7, Marquette would have to sweep 3 teams in league play...that is also assuming they beat the other 7 teams at least once (including UConn). That is a really tall task.

I prefer to look at it as going 8-2 at home and 5-5 on the road. I think we go 8-2 at home. We did last year and the Big East is worse.

Can we get five road wins? I think so. Kenpom has us favored in 14 of our 20 league matchups. T Rank is even kinder, favoring us in 16 of 20 games.

13-7 is attainable. Based on what we know right now, I’d be somewhat disappointed if we don’t get to 12-8 or better.

feedback