Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OMax Prosper, Tyler Kolek and the Computers.  (Read 4376 times)

swoopem

• All American
Re: OMax Prosper, Tyler Kolek and the Computers.
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2022, 10:59:52 AM »
Guys who might be able to create their own shot on this team.... Sean Jones maybe and David Joplin maybe..

Without Kolek this is a horrible offense.

What about our pro prospect who’s leaving early?
Bring back FFP!!!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2022, 11:12:34 AM »
loved the pressure defense when they had fresh legs, but to keep up that level for 40 minutes isn't reasonable unless you have adequate substitutes

if shaka's gonna press and play in your jock defense, he's going to have to give the nucleus of 6 a little more of a break...if he can.  hopefully we will see another player or 2 seize the opportunity and rise up to a level where we aren't giving much up on 2nd/3rd line
don't...don't don't don't don't

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2022, 11:19:34 AM »
I thought their heads went before their legs did. And MU didn't press for 40 minutes, not even close.

I mentioned it leading up to the game, but MU has to address the weakside corner defensively. With all the switching they do that corner gets ignored at times and Purdue was able to punish it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2022, 12:10:17 PM »
I'm pretty sure we outscored them when Edey was in the game and were outscored when Edey was on the bench.

I know for certain that we were up 58-52 when Edey left at the 9:39 mark of the second half but were trailing 63-62 when he came back in at 4:43. We were outscored 11-4 during those 5 minutes and never saw the lead again.

Edey got his on offense and altered some shots on defense. But in general, we attacked them pretty good while he was out there, as well as holding our own against Purdue both on D and on the glass.

I totally agree with the rest of this.
Was this the time of the game were Gold missed a three pointer and Ross missed two three pointers?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2022, 12:16:21 PM »
I thought their heads went before their legs did. And MU didn't press for 40 minutes, not even close.

I mentioned it leading up to the game, but MU has to address the weakside corner defensively. With all the switching they do that corner gets ignored at times and Purdue was able to punish it.

Good point.  We also got beat consistently hard right by two guys with modest blow by speed. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2022, 01:34:23 PM »
Was this the time of the game were Gold missed a three pointer and Ross missed two three pointers?

During those 5 minutes ... Ross missed 3 shots, including a pair of 3s; Mitchell and Kolek also missed 3s; Joplin and Oso missed in the paint; and Kolek committed his only turnover of the night.

Gold wasn't in the game during that span, but he did miss a 3 about a minute earlier when we were up 56-49.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2022, 12:03:30 AM »
I typically don’t like to start full threads on one game played, but I think this one showed us a glimpse of a few keys for the season as a whole.

1- First off, great game, very enjoyable until the meltdown at the end. MU led for a large portion of it and looked very much the part of a NCAA tourney team in a tough spot on the road, even though from what I saw I think Purdue will be a 7-10 seed squad at best this season (hope I’m wrong!)

2- Great shooting games by Kam and Jop. They won’t always shoot as well, but we’ve got a few scorers. Kam needs to figure out that there is such a thing as a horrendous shot, but no one else is scoring who cares I guess. It’s obvious that Marquettes coaches don’t value the midrange, because none of the guards know how to score there and Kam can really use it badly.

3- Now to my main takeaways of the game.
Game specific- I saw brew say something about Purdue getting away with one, and I sort of agree. I couldn’t help but think during latter part of the game that Marquette played really damn well and was the better team for most of the game, led for over 30 minutes, but might lose by a margin worse than the spread and it would look like a bad loss to the computers.

Im not here to argue computer data versus the eye test stuff, but my point is that it woulda been a damn shame for MU to lose by 10+ and have that look like a bad loss when in reality it wasn’t. That’s the downside of the computer driven era. Nice late 3s by Kam and Jop saved that.

The other downside of computers is that instead of being royally pissed about losing a game Marquette coulda won I was happy they managed to keep it close at the end, and that’s just not the spirit of competition.

4- OMax Prosper.
Good defense, but 4 points and 5 rebounds.
2-4 shooting….

Marquette lost this game because of OMax.
This team will not win games with Omax playing all those minutes and scoring 4 points, only attempting 4 shots.

The hype was clearly overblown, but this Marquette squad needs OMax to be a double digit scorer and to be aggressive.
The intangibles are there, but OMax is not with performances like that.

5- Tyler Kolek.
This will be controversial cause Tyler played his guts out and is clearly irreplaceable, but this Marquette team will not make the tournament without a more successful TyKo offensively.

When the BE gauntlet comes teams will mitigate his distribution.
He doesn’t shoot well from distance, he doesn’t have a midrange jumper or floater, he had a few nice drives today but it’s not nearly enough.

OMax and Tyler get a lions share of the minutes at their positions and are good at what they do, they are irreplaceable at this point.
If they don’t improve on the other parts of their game this team will suffer greatly because of it.

I can probably bump this every game and it’ll still be accurate.

Someone let me know if I’m wrong

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2022, 03:31:28 AM »
Dead on about Omax and Kolek.  Omax does his part offensively and we win.  Kolek offense was good but he didn’t take care of the ball.  Consistently high level performances are needed from these two or we will fail all year.