'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Hangin at the Al  (Read 11715 times)

CountryRoads

• All American
Re: Hangin at the Al
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2022, 10:28:17 PM »
Buffalo was not a fluke. It was known that they were going to be a top25 team abs that's why they were scheduled

Well, ok that's fair. It was a very unusual buy game to say the least. My point is that the number of quality home games Marquette plays is not that different year over year.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2022, 05:27:04 AM »
Have you adjusted for inflation?  (Which includes the firing of Wojo - which  you called for - and Hiring of Shaka)

The firing of Wojo didn't come from STH dollars. And if the price was going up while the product value remained the same, fine, but that's not the case.

Well, ok that's fair. It was a very unusual buy game to say the least. My point is that the number of quality home games Marquette plays is not that different year over year.

Actually, at the time it wasn't. Buffalo wasn't a preseason top-25 team, but they were expected to be a conference favorite and easy top-100 team. It was the WVU win that really catapulted them up. But that was in a stretch with games like Belmont, Fresno, Vermont, and North Dakota State at home, all expected top-100 buy games. So that's additional value lost as everyone this year was sub-250 preseason.

I guess to each their own, but for me Marquette basketball is a year-round hobby. I enjoy the exhibition games, the buy games, the preseason kickoff events, and all the other events that have been put on the back burner or shelved and not replaced. If you want to overpay for 12 games, that's your choice, but I'm not going to pretend the value isn't eroding when it obviously is.

And that's the thing. There's no real disagreement that we aren't getting less for more. The only argument seems to be "shut up and accept what you get." And that's a crappy argument.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2022, 05:53:05 AM »
I think Country Roads made the argument. He cares about the quality of the slate - the BE plus the marquee games - and doesn’t care how many buy games there really are. He isn’t saying “shut up and accept it.”  He’s saying “I don’t care cause the buy games have little value to me.” I don’t think he’s alone.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2022, 08:23:20 AM »
The bigger issue for me is not the number of games, or who they play, but the way the game experience at Fiserv has eroded post-COVID. Being charged a premium for a mediocre and inconvenient experience. The concession setup is a joke. Marquette, as a tenant that pays a fckload in rent every year, needs to be up the Bucks ass if they aren't already.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2022, 08:29:10 AM »
The bigger issue for me is not the number of games, or who they play, but the way the game experience at Fiserv has eroded post-COVID. Being charged a premium for a mediocre and inconvenient experience. The concession setup is a joke. Marquette, as a tenant that pays a fckload in rent every year, needs to be up the Bucks ass if they aren't already.

Yuuuuuuuup.  This isn’t limited to Fiserv.  I’m not sure why this is happening but the gameday experiences across the board have gotten bad the last few years.  My desire to go to a random game is quite low and it isn’t the product.  I’ve seen a lot of mediocre Marquette in my life and crappy Bucks teams.  That didn’t stop me from going
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

🏀

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2022, 08:35:06 AM »
The firing of Wojo didn't come from STH dollars. And if the price was going up while the product value remained the same, fine, but that's not the case.

Actually, at the time it wasn't. Buffalo wasn't a preseason top-25 team, but they were expected to be a conference favorite and easy top-100 team. It was the WVU win that really catapulted them up. But that was in a stretch with games like Belmont, Fresno, Vermont, and North Dakota State at home, all expected top-100 buy games. So that's additional value lost as everyone this year was sub-250 preseason.

I guess to each their own, but for me Marquette basketball is a year-round hobby. I enjoy the exhibition games, the buy games, the preseason kickoff events, and all the other events that have been put on the back burner or shelved and not replaced. If you want to overpay for 12 games, that's your choice, but I'm not going to pretend the value isn't eroding when it obviously is.

And that's the thing. There's no real disagreement that we aren't getting less for more. The only argument seems to be "shut up and accept what you get." And that's a crappy argument.

Byyyyyeeeeeeee.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2022, 08:56:13 AM »
I think Country Roads made the argument. He cares about the quality of the slate - the BE plus the marquee games - and doesn’t care how many buy games there really are. He isn’t saying “shut up and accept it.”  He’s saying “I don’t care cause the buy games have little value to me.” I don’t think he’s alone.

He can buy the packs then which I will be doing unless there is more value added for STHs.  25% less games for a higher price and less experience leads to a tipping point in consumer value for season ticket holders. I spend $10k now for tickets so I am happy to cut that to $632 for 10 games by buying the packs.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2022, 09:42:53 AM »

Agreed. I remember the first year being excited to have seats by the Jack Daniel’s bar, and then it hardly ever being open. The lack of concessions for even marquee games is crazy.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2022, 10:10:06 AM »
Agreed. I remember the first year being excited to have seats by the Jack Daniel’s bar, and then it hardly ever being open. The lack of concessions for even marquee games is crazy.

I only go to two games a year as I am out of state.  But that is pretty bad.  Why wouldn’t they have concessions open for a stadium that is usually 3/4 full and sometimes sold out.  MU should complain loudly about that.

21Jumpstreet

• All American

🏀

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2022, 12:13:57 PM »
Damn that’s awesome

Now where's the volleyball video?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2022, 07:17:22 AM »
Now where's the volleyball video?
Only crappy highlights
https://youtu.be/ehQD4YMs4Sk
Goal is National Championship

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2022, 07:31:46 AM »

My guess is that they are having trouble finding workers more than anything.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2022, 07:32:18 AM »
He can buy the packs then which I will be doing unless there is more value added for STHs.  25% less games for a higher price and less experience leads to a tipping point in consumer value for season ticket holders. I spend $10k now for tickets so I am happy to cut that to $632 for 10 games by buying the packs.

Which makes sense to me and completely understand.

panda

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2022, 07:32:37 AM »

No it’s to spite brew

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2022, 07:52:52 AM »
#TEV

Team Eroding Value
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2022, 08:15:38 AM »
Yeah, because having Marquette Madness really hurt the 2003 team. or the 2013 team. Or any of the teams in between  ::)

I get it. Madness is/was an annual thing, but I really miss college game day which Crean brought to MU. Too bad Fox does not have something similar.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2022, 08:27:42 AM »
100%
i’d add that when FF opened, the momentum around the program that I thought would be there never really materialized, imo. Team wasn’t great, but not bad. Great team, new great venue, uptick in recruiting talent = momentum/excitement was missing, it seemed. There’s more excitement after a game at The AL!  Winning is a cure-all so hopefully the W’s will stack up. And, getting a couple W’s between the likes of Purdue, ND, Wisconsin and Baylor would be big momentum builders.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2022, 09:28:21 AM »
There’s more excitement after a game at The AL!

Thousands of students. Zero sweater-vests. Offensive show vs. cupcake.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2022, 09:41:45 AM »

That’s fair, although I’d say it was an issue before the pandemic too.

Overall, I’m not too worried about losing a game to the Al every year if it is a buy game. I don’t make it to every game as it is.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2022, 09:52:24 AM »

I thought that was the case too. But the Bucks want this online ordering/central delivery model so they don't have to pay to staff each stand.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2022, 09:58:30 AM »
We need more bobbleheads. What happened to the bobbleheads?

Milwaukee is home to the National Bobblehead Hall of Fame & Museum, how is Marquette not embracing this opportunity?

Do your jobs, Marquette.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2022, 10:01:00 AM »
We need more bobbleheads. What happened to the bobbleheads?

Ha!  I know you are kidding but for young families they were great.  It’s part of brainwashing young kids to be future life long fans.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2022, 05:34:42 PM »
Ha!  I know you are kidding but for young families they were great.  It’s part of brainwashing young kids to be future life long fans.

Maybe they don't have them anymore because students were decapitating the Father Wild ones and drinking shots out of his head. 
Have some patience, FFS.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2022, 06:15:24 PM »
Maybe they don't have them anymore because students were decapitating the Father Wild ones and drinking shots out of his head.

That’s fair.  Didn’t know that.  Was just saying younger kids liked them.  I know mine  did. 

feedback