[Today at 07:19:53 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hangin at the Al  (Read 12074 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Hangin at the Al
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2022, 03:43:18 PM »
Exhibitions versus secret scrimmages? It’s about better practice competition for the team to develop. Not your 4-year-old daughter getting to watch the dance team at the 8 minute TV timeout as you distractingly watch the team.

Doing away with midnight madness and Haunted Hoops? Better practice time for the team instead of showing off for the limited fans that show up.

You’ve developed a misplaced sense of entitlement with your blogger status. Let the professionals do their jobs, let Shaka steer the program.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2022, 03:48:04 PM »
Well, the person that runs Twitter didn't even have a Twitter account when he got the job. You do a better job of promoting MU on there than they do. Far more interactions. Far more tweets. When you have an event like a block party before last night's game, mention it earlier than 24 hours before the game. The pics online show tens of people out enjoying themselves. Push it for 1-2 weeks, get more food truck options, you'll actually get people there.

They have a TikTok they never use. I'm not regularly on that app, but young alumni are. Use that to reach out to them. Focus on the staff, the players, and the events. Teach history and cool things that make the program worth following. Maybe have a Marquette Mondays where a player runs the account for 24 hours.

Push the other sports. Volleyball is the best program on campus and the main Marquette athletics barely acts like they exist, only posting post-match results and not hyping it beforehand. Which goes for many of the non-BB sports.

When it comes to emails, more frequency and more notice. They announce the picnic last minute then get virtually no attendance (just like last night's block party).

But the biggest problem is that Marquette treats customers just out Retire0 said. "It's not about you" is a terrible customer service mindset, but that's progressively how it's felt over the past decade as the on-court quality declined and the fans went away. And for the love of god, get Shaka out front more often pushing the program. He is a great speaker who could draw attention describing the process of paint drying. Hopefully Jen Lada gets more from him than Homer did, which was frankly embarrassing to hear a host with zero advanced statistical knowledge try to interview people like Smart and Smith.

100%

🏀

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2022, 03:50:34 PM »
Guys, Marquette needs to get on Truth Social more.

panda

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2022, 03:50:57 PM »
#sexist

Can’t be true. Some of my favorite people are women

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2022, 03:51:53 PM »
More like #kidist.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2022, 03:52:19 PM »
You’ve developed a misplaced sense of entitlement with your blogger status. Let the professionals do their jobs, let Shaka steer the program.

As soon as they start doing their jobs, I'll be happy to stop complaining about it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2022, 03:52:39 PM »
They have a webseries. Posted introductions to the new signees and the incoming players.  They post in game highlights and post game highlights.  They send out a digital game program.  They post off-court content.  They wish past and present players happy birthday.  Tweet highlights of MU alum in the NBA.  They send out where to watch and listen to games.

I'm not really sure what more they could do. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2022, 03:59:57 PM »
As soon as they start doing their jobs, I'll be happy to stop complaining about it.

I’m sure you’ll find something new to move on to.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2022, 04:34:27 PM »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2022, 05:07:45 PM »

I hate to say it, but Cheeks ran the best STH engagement programs when he was here. Pintens upped the marketing levels as well.

Been so so since they moved on and certainly since COVID it's been lacking. I think some years we got 19 home games, now 15. At that point, I might as well  buy two lower packs and not have to donate.

Cords and Cottingham used to have smaller STH donor events you'd get invited randomly to where they'd give you the state of the Union for example. Is it a big deal? I guess not but in a good-better-best pricing tier, there is not much differentiation as a consumer. But it creates a buzz.

And, it is a bit annoying they cannot provide lead time on events and if they are or not occurring.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2022, 05:16:17 PM »
Did Homer’s radio show with Shaka get more than 25 total listeners? Crying that the athletic department is incompetent because they don’t have Homer asking Shaka about advanced analytics? Yeah, I’m sure that’s why season tickets are down!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2022, 05:31:27 PM »
I hate to say it, but Cheeks ran the best STH engagement programs when he was here. Pintens upped the marketing levels as well.

Been so so since they moved on and certainly since COVID it's been lacking. I think some years we got 19 home games, now 15. At that point, I might as well  buy two lower packs and not have to donate.

Cords and Cottingham used to have smaller STH donor events you'd get invited randomly to where they'd give you the state of the Union for example. Is it a big deal? I guess not but in a good-better-best pricing tier, there is not much differentiation as a consumer. But it creates a buzz.

And, it is a bit annoying they cannot provide lead time on events and if they are or not occurring.

I agree. It feels like at their best, they are trying to replicate things that worked well 10-20 years ago. At their worst, they are scaling back and offering less than what we had 10-20 years ago. But across the board, they are resting on the laurels of the 2002-2013 success. When you haven't won an NCAA game in a decade, you need to try a little harder. Doing less and expecting more money for it is simply not a recipe for success.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2022, 05:42:27 PM »
Winning is the only thing that matters in terms of ticket sales. Can you pick up an extra 100 STHs by inviting people to a block party? Sure. But they could do 0 events if they were top 3 in the BE every year and it wouldn’t matter. Just like they could give out a free pizza to every person in attendance every game, with a signed basketball by the entire team, and Final Four team reunions every home game with them going around and high fiving everyone all game and the arena would be empty if we produced like Georgetown is.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2022, 05:50:14 PM »
And if we win tourney games in each of the next five tourneys with a couple second or third weekend runs, then they'll be able to rest on those laurels. But since we have been doing nothing but lose in March for the past decade, they need to do more, not less to attract fans.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2022, 06:10:15 PM »
And if we win tourney games in each of the next five tourneys with a couple second or third weekend runs, then they'll be able to rest on those laurels. But since we have been doing nothing but lose in March for the past decade, they need to do more, not less to attract fans.

Or do less pandering and let the team practice.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2022, 06:22:51 PM »
Or do less pandering and let the team practice.

Yeah, because having Marquette Madness really hurt the 2003 team. or the 2013 team. Or any of the teams in between  ::)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2022, 07:26:28 PM »
It IS about the money, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2022, 07:38:14 PM »
Yeah, because having Marquette Madness really hurt the 2003 team. or the 2013 team. Or any of the teams in between  ::)

Madness was a lot different and the anticipation was on another level. Thanks for finally circling back on my post though.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2022, 08:27:30 PM »
What exactly would you like MU to do differently with their social media?

I think Marquette Basketball Social Media is pretty fantastic.

I agree...think they put out really good content, and A LOT of it.  I personally hate content creation and think MU does a great job with its content creation creativity/variety/production/aesthetic/volume.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 08:33:18 PM by Elonsmusk »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2022, 09:18:38 PM »
My prices have only gone up, whether it's 19 home dates or 16 or something in between. That's one of the main reasons I was disappointed with the loss of the exhibition and CMU games. I paid the same for 15 dates this year as I did for 17 last year.

Last year and this season 16 regular season game. 17, last year adding an exhibition.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2022, 09:33:56 PM »
We had 20 in 2018-19. 17 in 2020 and 2022. The last time we had this few was 2013-14.

If people choose not to care about what's in the season ticket holder package and just want to pay whatever Marquette charges for whatever Marquette schedules, that's your prerogative. But any assertion that this STH package with fewer games and fewer events isn't a downgrade from what we've had in the past is simply being dishonest. Again, if you don't care that they give you value for your money, that's your choice, but the value of the purchased product is not as high as it's been in any recent years.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2022, 09:38:50 PM »
the value of the purchased product is not as high as it's been in any recent years.

Have you adjusted for inflation?  (Which includes the firing of Wojo - which  you called for - and Hiring of Shaka)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2022, 09:41:07 PM »
The more higher level non conference games, wherever they are played, the better.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2022, 09:59:45 PM »
We had 20 in 2018-19. 17 in 2020 and 2022. The last time we had this few was 2013-14.

If people choose not to care about what's in the season ticket holder package and just want to pay whatever Marquette charges for whatever Marquette schedules, that's your prerogative. But any assertion that this STH package with fewer games and fewer events isn't a downgrade from what we've had in the past is simply being dishonest. Again, if you don't care that they give you value for your money, that's your choice, but the value of the purchased product is not as high as it's been in any recent years.

It's about quality over quantity for me.

In 2018-2019, MU played K-State, Badgers, Buffalo and 9 conference games for a total of 12 quality games. I'm being very generous in including Buffalo in here because it was an absolute fluke of how good they were and how electric of a home game that turned out to be.

In 2022-2023, MU plays Baylor, Wisconsin and 10 conference games for a total of 12 quality games.

Even as a diehard fan who loves attending games, those schedules are the same to me and should have the same value in price. Those buy games are worth almost nothing and you'd have a hard time giving your tickets away for free to them.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2022, 10:15:19 PM »
It's about quality over quantity for me.

In 2018-2019, MU played K-State, Badgers, Buffalo and 9 conference games for a total of 12 quality games. I'm being very generous in including Buffalo in here because it was an absolute fluke of how good they were and how electric of a home game that turned out to be.

In 2022-2023, MU plays Baylor, Wisconsin and 10 conference games for a total of 12 quality games.

Even as a diehard fan who loves attending games, those schedules are the same to me and should have the same value in price. Those buy games are worth almost nothing and you'd have a hard time giving your tickets away for free to them.

Buffalo was not a fluke. It was known that they were going to be a top25 team abs that's why they were scheduled
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback