[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by BobWildLoyalist
[Today at 10:36:31 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hangin at the Al  (Read 12168 times)

ski44

• Scholarship Player
Re: Hangin at the Al
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2022, 12:44:51 AM »
Knee soreness, officially day to day

But then again, aren’t we all?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2022, 08:44:26 AM »
Game was mostly awesome all around. One concern I did leave with was our interior defense. We let the Chips shoot 54.3% from two. And unlike the Radford game where they were hitting long contested twos, a lot of the Chips scoring was at the basket....and a lot of their misses had nothing to do with us and everything to do with them being terrible. And it wasn't their bigs. Their two main big guys went 2/9. It was their wings and guards being able to penetrate and us being unable to erase them when they got there.

Now some of that I'm sure is because we were whooping them from the word go so they got a little lax. But I imagine that this will be the focus of the film sessions before the next game.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2022, 09:22:49 AM »
If they do one game a year at the Al and keep the season ticket price the same, aren’t they bringing in the same money and spending less by using the Fiserv for one fewer game?

If they do it for one game, they can probably justify it. Take 3-5 games off the STH schedule and there will be some pissed off donors.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2022, 10:10:55 AM »
If they do it for one game, they can probably justify it. Take 3-5 games off the STH schedule and there will be some pissed off donors.

Isn't the season ticket price actually based on the total of the price of single - game tickets? If so, that means if you keep the season ticket price the same for fewer games, it raises the price for individual games and scares off the casual fans who only attend a game or two.
Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2022, 10:34:33 AM »
TAMU

The interior D was not good last night and definitely a concern moving forward. I do think some of it had to do with having a big lead and getting sloppy, but they need to improve the interior D in a big way. On a positive note, an awful lot of excitement and highlights for a weeknight game against a low-end opponent on November 10th. There is going to be no shortage of excitement this season.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 01:15:51 PM by Goose »

panda

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2022, 11:45:30 AM »
Such a fun game. CMU was a weak opponent but opposed to our first game against Radford, we stomped on them and asserted ourselves. Great to see Joplin show everyone else what he's capable of. He's big and sturdy enough to take smaller guys inside while a good enough shooter to knock down anything outside.

I do hope Kam begins to develop that mid range game to make his outside shot even more dangerous. You saw it last night that kam struggled a bit with the quickness of the defense on closeouts. Never found his shot and wasn't very comfortable taking dribbles inside off the shot fake. For him to really succeed this year, he needs to get more comfortable getting into the paint. Will unlock a completely different game for him.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2022, 12:10:45 PM »
Isn't the season ticket price actually based on the total of the price of single - game tickets? If so, that means if you keep the season ticket price the same for fewer games, it raises the price for individual games and scares off the casual fans who only attend a game or two.

My prices have only gone up, whether it's 19 home dates or 16 or something in between. That's one of the main reasons I was disappointed with the loss of the exhibition and CMU games. I paid the same for 15 dates this year as I did for 17 last year.

panda

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2022, 12:14:51 PM »
I don't really mind about losing a game like CMU in the season ticket plan, especially if it produces a night like yesterday. I get season tix for games like Baylor, Wisconsin, Villanova and weekend conference games. I'd probably pay the same price even if they eliminated the garbage buy games.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2022, 01:14:28 PM »
TAMU

The interior D was not good last night and definitely a concern moving forward. I do think some of it had to do with having a big lead and getting sloppy, but they need to improve the interior D in a big way. On a positive note, an awful lot of excitement and highlights for a weeknight game against a low-end opponent on November 10th. There is going to be shortage of excitement this season.

As much as I loved watching last night's game, I saw the same problem regarding interior D, but I think we all did. Agree that it's going to be a fun season.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2022, 02:30:58 PM »
I don't really mind about losing a game like CMU in the season ticket plan, especially if it produces a night like yesterday. I get season tix for games like Baylor, Wisconsin, Villanova and weekend conference games. I'd probably pay the same price even if they eliminated the garbage buy games.

I like being able to bring my daughter to games, and she absolutely loves going to the ballgame with Daddy. But if I am going to be a respectful fan to my neighbors, I need to dedicate as much time to keeping the 4-year-old happy and respectful as I do watching the game. I love the buys and exhibitions because it lets me make her day with the trip while not requiring the attention I'd pay to a Wisconsin or Baylor.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2022, 02:31:33 PM »
My prices have only gone up, whether it's 19 home dates or 16 or something in between. That's one of the main reasons I was disappointed with the loss of the exhibition and CMU games. I paid the same for 15 dates this year as I did for 17 last year.

I hope Broeker sends you a nice cheese and cracker spread this holiday season to accompany your whining.

Maybe start realizing that this isn’t about you?

panda

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2022, 02:41:31 PM »
I like being able to bring my daughter to games, and she absolutely loves going to the ballgame with Daddy. But if I am going to be a respectful fan to my neighbors, I need to dedicate as much time to keeping the 4-year-old happy and respectful as I do watching the game. I love the buys and exhibitions because it lets me make her day with the trip while not requiring the attention I'd pay to a Wisconsin or Baylor.

Same boat so I understand - I bring my kids to women's games. They don't know the difference, it's cheaper and I don't feel as I'm missing out when my kids are more interested in Iggy and the band than the action on the court.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2022, 02:49:03 PM »
Game was mostly awesome all around. One concern I did leave with was our interior defense. We let the Chips shoot 54.3% from two. And unlike the Radford game where they were hitting long contested twos, a lot of the Chips scoring was at the basket....and a lot of their misses had nothing to do with us and everything to do with them being terrible. And it wasn't their bigs. Their two main big guys went 2/9. It was their wings and guards being able to penetrate and us being unable to erase them when they got there.

Now some of that I'm sure is because we were whooping them from the word go so they got a little lax. But I imagine that this will be the focus of the film sessions before the next game.

...but will they be able to execute.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2022, 03:07:13 PM »

I hope Broeker sends you a nice cheese and cracker spread this holiday season to accompany your whining.

Maybe start realizing that this isn’t about you?

Actually, it IS about me. It's about all the season ticket holders. We've already seen numbers decline in the past decade because the value hasn't been there. Many aren't coming back. If inventory drops as well, that's another reason to leave.

Marquette has been terrible at marketing their program. Terrible. Our social media accounts are poorly managed, communication is too little, too late, and eroding the value of the product we pay for is a poor answer.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2022, 03:19:11 PM »
Actually, it IS about me.

Is it though?

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2022, 03:20:05 PM »
I hold onto one ticket, mainly because I live in Indianapolis. I have never once cared what the social medias are up to.

If you argue social media is a decline for walk up tickets…I’ll give it to you. But not a STH.

If it is an issue, there is always a smaller ticket package or single game tickets.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2022, 03:20:25 PM »
Actually, it IS about me. It's about all the season ticket holders. We've already seen numbers decline in the past decade because the value hasn't been there. Many aren't coming back. If inventory drops as well, that's another reason to leave.

Marquette has been terrible at marketing their program. Terrible. Our social media accounts are poorly managed, communication is too little, too late, and eroding the value of the product we pay for is a poor answer.

What exactly would you like MU to do differently with their social media? 

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2022, 03:26:44 PM »

I think Marquette Basketball Social Media is pretty fantastic.
VIOLENCE!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2022, 03:27:04 PM »
Actually, it IS about me. It's about all the season ticket holders.

No offense but I'm guessing there are some STHs/donors that give waaaaaaaay more money that they'd be more inclined to listen to. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2022, 03:29:16 PM »
Well, to be fair, brew may or may not have helped get the last guy fired.    With his contribution to the cracked sidewalks missive. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2022, 03:29:44 PM »

#NoMoreSweaterVests

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2022, 03:31:50 PM »
Well, to be fair, brew may or may not have helped get the last guy fired.    With his contribution to the cracked sidewalks missive.

Lmao  ::)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2022, 03:40:33 PM »
Speaking of scheduling kerfuffles, how in the living Kolek does Jurassic World Cosplay have priority over Marquette in FiFo scheduling priority? Someone screwed the pooch on contract negotiations.

MU was third at the BC behind the Bucks and Admirals and we bitched. At Fiserv, it seems MU is behind Seasame Street Live even.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2022, 03:41:11 PM »

Well, the person that runs Twitter didn't even have a Twitter account when he got the job. You do a better job of promoting MU on there than they do. Far more interactions. Far more tweets. When you have an event like a block party before last night's game, mention it earlier than 24 hours before the game. The pics online show tens of people out enjoying themselves. Push it for 1-2 weeks, get more food truck options, you'll actually get people there.

They have a TikTok they never use. I'm not regularly on that app, but young alumni are. Use that to reach out to them. Focus on the staff, the players, and the events. Teach history and cool things that make the program worth following. Maybe have a Marquette Mondays where a player runs the account for 24 hours.

Push the other sports. Volleyball is the best program on campus and the main Marquette athletics barely acts like they exist, only posting post-match results and not hyping it beforehand. Which goes for many of the non-BB sports.

When it comes to emails, more frequency and more notice. They announce the picnic last minute then get virtually no attendance (just like last night's block party).

But the biggest problem is that Marquette treats customers just out Retire0 said. "It's not about you" is a terrible customer service mindset, but that's progressively how it's felt over the past decade as the on-court quality declined and the fans went away. And for the love of god, get Shaka out front more often pushing the program. He is a great speaker who could draw attention describing the process of paint drying. Hopefully Jen Lada gets more from him than Homer did, which was frankly embarrassing to hear a host with zero advanced statistical knowledge try to interview people like Smart and Smith.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2022, 03:41:49 PM »
Same boat so I understand - I bring my kids to women's games. They don't know the difference, it's cheaper and I don't feel as I'm missing out when my kids are more interested in Iggy and the band than the action on the court.

#sexist
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.