collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 World Cup Thread  (Read 26865 times)

panda

• All American
Re: 2022 World Cup Thread
« Reply #175 on: November 26, 2022, 12:49:20 PM »
I find it to be more than plausible this is true. I’m guessing wynalda’s source is gios dad.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #176 on: November 26, 2022, 01:29:11 PM »
I am sure Reyna is healthy enough to play, but not sure I would want him on the field for more than 15 minutes. Weah brings more value and the offense tends to bog down when Reyna has the ball.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #177 on: November 26, 2022, 02:11:23 PM »
I am sure Reyna is healthy enough to play, but not sure I would want him on the field for more than 15 minutes. Weah brings more value and the offense tends to bog down when Reyna has the ball.

I do not understand. Reyna has played 10 minutes in this Cup, in a situation where the US clearly parked the bus to save a point, and you think he's involved in bogging things down?

Reyna is the most talented guy in the program (Pulisic most accomplished; Adams most technical; Aaronson most adored) and there is zero reason outside of manager ego in freezing him out. It dents the ambition presently but Reyna will be around for the next 15 whilst this dude is coaching St Loo FC in two years.

panda

• All American
« Reply #178 on: November 26, 2022, 02:26:34 PM »

1000% disagree. He’s way more valuable than this.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #179 on: November 26, 2022, 02:59:20 PM »
I do not understand. Reyna has played 10 minutes in this Cup, in a situation where the US clearly parked the bus to save a point, and you think he's involved in bogging things down?

Reyna is the most talented guy in the program (Pulisic most accomplished; Adams most technical; Aaronson most adored) and there is zero reason outside of manager ego in freezing him out. It dents the ambition presently but Reyna will be around for the next 15 whilst this dude is coaching St Loo FC in two years.

No greater honor in sport.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #180 on: November 26, 2022, 04:26:13 PM »

I’m not talking about during the World Cup. In his other games with the USMNT he hasn’t made good runs, comes back for the ball to be the creative playmaker (which is understandable) and largely comes up short.

I think he’s going to be very good in 2026. I don’t think he’s there yet. If they are willing to put Weah in the middle I’d be fine with Reyna on the right, but they haven’t shown a willingness to do that. So it comes down to 2/3 of Pulisic, Weah and Reyna. The first two are superior players right now, in my opinion.

And I am not a GG fan but his plan against England was great and same in the first half against Wales. He’s coached three damn good halves and one terrible half. If he comes up with a good plan and gets three points vs Iran, he has accomplished as much as Bradley and Jurgen. If he doesn’t, this cycle was a disappointment or failure depending on your expectations.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #181 on: November 26, 2022, 04:30:50 PM »
I find it to be more than plausible this is true. I’m guessing wynalda’s source is gios dad.

I don't doubt it might be true, and the source seems pretty clear. But you aren't firing GGG in the middle of the World Cup where every game is win or go home. At this point, you just let him finish the tournament then start looking for the 2026 manager you hope can lift the cup on home soil. Unlikely as that may be, that's been the goal since we were awarded the 1994 Cup back in '88.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #182 on: November 26, 2022, 04:51:02 PM »
I don't doubt it might be true, and the source seems pretty clear. But you aren't firing GGG in the middle of the World Cup where every game is win or go home. At this point, you just let him finish the tournament then start looking for the 2026 manager you hope can lift the cup on home soil. Unlikely as that may be, that's been the goal since we were awarded the 1994 Cup back in '88.

Who said anything about firing him mid WC?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #183 on: November 26, 2022, 06:04:14 PM »
Who said anything about firing him mid WC?

I'm just saying it really doesn't matter. He should be caretaker by January and replaced by March or April at the latest anyway. So fireable offense is pretty irrelevant since this should be it for him regardless of result.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #184 on: November 26, 2022, 06:07:33 PM »
I'm just saying it really doesn't matter. He should be caretaker by January and replaced by March or April at the latest anyway. So fireable offense is pretty irrelevant since this should be it for him regardless of result.

Do you really think that's going to happen?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #185 on: November 26, 2022, 06:09:31 PM »
If we're going to speculate about coaching after this world cup....

Give Jesse Marsch whatever he wants

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #186 on: November 26, 2022, 10:11:46 PM »
Do you really think that's going to happen?

It should, regardless of result. That includes winning the World Cup. I firmly believe one cycle is enough for anyone. Bruce was great in 2002, then flamed out in 2006. Bradley did well in 2010, didn't make it to 2014. Klinsmann surprised in 2014, failed in the 2018 cycle.

When you take a team for four years, you get to rely on those players. There should be completely fresh eyes after every World Cup cycle so the manager doesn't get overly reliant on players who aren't necessarily going to be as good 4 years later than they were when they gave you that first WC run.

It will depend on who makes the call. There's a new Secretary General as of September and it's entirely possible he makes his own decision. While it hasn't been what USA has done in the past, the continued failures of managers in second terms is obvious and needs to end.

panda

• All American
« Reply #187 on: November 26, 2022, 10:16:40 PM »
It should, regardless of result. That includes winning the World Cup. I firmly believe one cycle is enough for anyone. Bruce was great in 2002, then flamed out in 2006. Bradley did well in 2010, didn't make it to 2014. Klinsmann surprised in 2014, failed in the 2018 cycle.

When you take a team for four years, you get to rely on those players. There should be completely fresh eyes after every World Cup cycle so the manager doesn't get overly reliant on players who aren't necessarily going to be as good 4 years later than they were when they gave you that first WC run.

It will depend on who makes the call. There's a new Secretary General as of September and it's entirely possible he makes his own decision. While it hasn't been what USA has done in the past, the continued failures of managers in second terms is obvious and needs to end.

I think you’re over estimating the sensibility of USSF

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #188 on: November 26, 2022, 10:21:22 PM »

I think this makes a lot of sense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #189 on: November 26, 2022, 10:31:43 PM »

You're totally reasonable, rational and logical.

Unfortunately, ussf is not

The org is as much a "good ole boys club" as any. Plus a dash of "it's not what you've done, but who you know."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #190 on: November 26, 2022, 10:48:33 PM »
I think you’re over estimating the sensibility of USSF

I think this makes alot of sense.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #191 on: November 27, 2022, 08:57:06 AM »
Madness in Morocco. Subs make all the difference.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #192 on: November 27, 2022, 08:59:08 AM »
Fun game. Wonder what EPL team Roberto Martinez will be coaching next year?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #193 on: November 27, 2022, 09:14:08 AM »
You're totally reasonable, rational and logical.

Unfortunately, ussf is not

The org is as much a "good ole boys club" as any. Plus a dash of "it's not what you've done, but who you know."

Ehhh ... I don't say this as a defense of Berhalter, but plenty of federations have had success keeping a manager through multiple cycles. Low coached German for 15 years. Dechamps is managing his third World Cup for France. Tite is in his second with Brazil. Santos in his second with Portugal.Dalic in his second with Croatia.
Not arguing that Berhalter should be retained, but I just don't think there ought to be a hard-and-fast rule over this.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #194 on: November 27, 2022, 09:50:13 AM »
Solid. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #195 on: November 27, 2022, 11:08:58 AM »
Well, if Sauron paid the right people, sure.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #196 on: November 27, 2022, 03:23:36 PM »
Interesting scenario for Spain.

They may be incentivized to let Japan win their match and win the overall group because IMO it seems to be a much easier path to advance as a runner up in that group. You will have to play the winner of Group F in the first game, but I think between Croatia, Belgium or Morocco, you probably feel good about that. But you likely avoid Brazil in the quarterfinals and instead would play someone like Portugal, Uruguay or Switzerland.

Germany would have to make up a ton of goals over Costa Rica to leap Spain completely. Since they play at the same time, perhaps see how it is going and let in a soft goal toward the end.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #197 on: November 28, 2022, 08:39:38 AM »
Interesting scenario for Spain.

They may be incentivized to let Japan win their match and win the overall group because IMO it seems to be a much easier path to advance as a runner up in that group. You will have to play the winner of Group F in the first game, but I think between Croatia, Belgium or Morocco, you probably feel good about that. But you likely avoid Brazil in the quarterfinals and instead would play someone like Portugal, Uruguay or Switzerland.

Germany would have to make up a ton of goals over Costa Rica to leap Spain completely. Since they play at the same time, perhaps see how it is going and let in a soft goal toward the end.

This is a bit like the debate about lose early in your conference tournament if you are already sure to be in the NCAA tournament vs. build/maintain momentum and run the conf tourney table.

My take is play to win. Yea, a coach might understandably do a bit of "load management" but for Spain to "let" Japan win the group, no. Too much uncertainly in other groups to assume the chips will fall in an assured, positive way.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #198 on: November 28, 2022, 09:08:02 AM »
I’m not talking about during the World Cup. In his other games with the USMNT he hasn’t made good runs, comes back for the ball to be the creative playmaker (which is understandable) and largely comes up short.

I think he’s going to be very good in 2026. I don’t think he’s there yet. If they are willing to put Weah in the middle I’d be fine with Reyna on the right, but they haven’t shown a willingness to do that. So it comes down to 2/3 of Pulisic, Weah and Reyna. The first two are superior players right now, in my opinion.

And I am not a GG fan but his plan against England was great and same in the first half against Wales. He’s coached three damn good halves and one terrible half. If he comes up with a good plan and gets three points vs Iran, he has accomplished as much as Bradley and Jurgen. If he doesn’t, this cycle was a disappointment or failure depending on your expectations.

The issue with this is Reyna has never played with this personnel. Famously, the US has never had a full run of Reyna, Pulisic, Adams, McKennie in the same game. So in the games you remember Reyna is playing out of position as a result or being tasked with elements that he's not equipped to provide, which is a managerial issue. He's coming up short because he's playing with second rate teammates.

Not playing your best players, when they are healthy, in the World Cup is a bizarre decision made by people who have limited vision. And, frankly, it isn't a matter of whether GGregeggge accomplishes more or the same as previous managers. But basing that on the US beating Iran(!!!) when they've been average the first two games shows we have an expectations issue.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2022, 10:00:39 AM »
Not playing your best players, when they are healthy, in the World Cup is a bizarre decision made by people who have limited vision. And, frankly, it isn't a matter of whether GGregeggge accomplishes more or the same as previous managers. But basing that on the US beating Iran(!!!) when they've been average the first two games shows we have an expectations issue.

The US was nowhere near average in the England match, you may be the only person to thinks so.

Speaking of Iran, the press conference earlier today was...something.

https://twitter.com/cboehm/status/1597199260478472193?s=20&t=06UcU_2C1GF8hheDhYF7KA

Also asking Berhalter questions about inflation and the US having a warship off the coast of Iran.  Just wild.

feedback