[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 World Cup Thread  (Read 27686 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: 2022 World Cup Thread
« Reply #225 on: November 29, 2022, 03:11:21 PM »
I’m haven’t seen anyone pick the Dutch to win it all. We’ve got a better chance Saturday than we did in 2014 against Belgium.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #226 on: November 29, 2022, 03:14:57 PM »
F the Dutch.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #227 on: November 29, 2022, 03:18:03 PM »
The US to advance at + odds is a good bet. I like our chances as long as we don’t score too early and go into a shell. This isn’t Holland of 2010 or 2014. Doable.

If Argentina fails to win their group tomorrow, the path to the semis is about as open as you could ask.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #228 on: November 29, 2022, 03:22:17 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #229 on: November 29, 2022, 03:34:05 PM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #230 on: November 29, 2022, 03:56:05 PM »
Does anyone know or recall if Acosta had any meaningful offers or opportunities to play in Europe that he turned down?  Another one of those young stars playing for the USMNT at a young age who then coasted in MLS

mug644

• All American
« Reply #231 on: November 29, 2022, 07:34:42 PM »
I’m haven’t seen anyone pick the Dutch to win it all. We’ve got a better chance Saturday than we did in 2014 against Belgium.

I like England and the Netherlands as the "just below the clear favorites" (France, Argentina, Brazil) to potentially pull it off.

Ok, I didn't exactly pick them, but I do think they have the potential to win it all.

And I think the US has the potential to knock the Netherlands out. Go USA!

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #232 on: November 30, 2022, 06:47:30 AM »
Musah and Ream very good. Dest and Robinson very very good in the 1st and both quite poor in the 2nd.  Carter-Vickers didn't have much to do but he blew his cover in the 57th and fouled in the box in the 95th. 4/10. McKennie ball outrageous. Dest header exquisite.

Substitutions continue to confound. One forced but Wright and Moore were 0/10 awful. Total net negatives. Acosta brought on to win and hold the ball, only problem was he couldn't win the ball.

Pattern is clear, they're 2004 Greece. No one up top, rely on a moment of magic, retreat to a shell with little ambition, vulnerable late at the back, hold on for dear life to whistle. But this works against poor/less expressive opposition. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #234 on: November 30, 2022, 09:34:26 AM »
Musah and Ream very good. Dest and Robinson very very good in the 1st and both quite poor in the 2nd.  Carter-Vickers didn't have much to do but he blew his cover in the 57th and fouled in the box in the 95th. 4/10. McKennie ball outrageous. Dest header exquisite.

Substitutions continue to confound. One forced but Wright and Moore were 0/10 awful. Total net negatives. Acosta brought on to win and hold the ball, only problem was he couldn't win the ball.

Pattern is clear, they're 2004 Greece. No one up top, rely on a moment of magic, retreat to a shell with little ambition, vulnerable late at the back, hold on for dear life to whistle. But this works against poor/less expressive opposition.

Outside the first 15 of England, this team has easily been the better side in the first 60 min of all group matches.

After that, it's pretty bad. Is it fatigue? Tactic/strategic choice? Bad subs? Bad timing of subs? All the above?

If they could put a few in the net during that first 45-60, we'd have a drastically different impression.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #235 on: November 30, 2022, 09:41:04 AM »
Youngest starting XI so far at the WC doesn't know how to put a team away? Shocking.  Team that presses hard for the first 60 minutes fading down the stretch, shocking. Multiple substitutions due to injury.  Iran diving to try to get a pen (never gonna be called).  Outshot them 12-4.  Shots on target 5-1.  ExG 1.18 to .42. It was the deserved result that anyone watching that didn't have a preset agenda to be upset no matter what because Pepi didn't make the squad would be able to see.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #236 on: November 30, 2022, 09:52:02 AM »
Youngest starting XI so far at the WC doesn't know how to put a team away? Shocking.  Team that presses hard for the first 60 minutes fading down the stretch, shocking. Multiple substitutions due to injury.  Iran diving to try to get a pen (never gonna be called).  Outshot them 12-4.  Shots on target 5-1.  ExG 1.18 to .42. It was the deserved result that anyone watching that didn't have a preset agenda to be upset no matter what because Pepi didn't make the squad would be able to see.

Where you getting your xG numbers?

https://twitter.com/ESPN_BillC/status/1597731118559948800?t=rjWWnDsqhHdD4fpUR3ByhQ&s=19

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #237 on: November 30, 2022, 10:04:35 AM »
Where you getting your xG numbers?

https://twitter.com/ESPN_BillC/status/1597731118559948800?t=rjWWnDsqhHdD4fpUR3ByhQ&s=19

Used this site for a while.  I like that they give their breakdown on ExG for every individual chance.

https://www.fotmob.com/match/3854564/matchfacts/iran-vs-usa

I know there are multiple different formulas out there that people use, I know it's a somewhat flawed statistic, and I know I'm obviously biased, but a .82 ExG for Iran seems very generous.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #238 on: November 30, 2022, 10:37:19 AM »
Used this site for a while.  I like that they give their breakdown on ExG for every individual chance.

https://www.fotmob.com/match/3854564/matchfacts/iran-vs-usa

I know there are multiple different formulas out there that people use, I know it's a somewhat flawed statistic, and I know I'm obviously biased, but a .82 ExG for Iran seems very generous.

Thanks.

Also, I think it's fair to have critiques of the players/squad/manager that have nothing to do with bias/Pepi

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #240 on: November 30, 2022, 10:41:31 AM »
Thanks.

Also, I think it's fair to have critiques of the players/squad/manager that have nothing to do with bias/Pepi

He's been overwhelmingly negative and pessimistic about everything related to the USMNT for a month or more.  I don't like Gregggg but I can appreciate good play and results and success.  Not every success has to be tempered with "yeah but the opponent sucks/this guy sucked/anyone excited is delusion or has bad expectations"

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #242 on: November 30, 2022, 10:59:59 AM »
Thanks.

Wags summed it up well. 

Just look to the first post in the thread to find my initial thoughts about how the team would do.  They've exceeded my expectations both in results as well as level of play.  It's hard to see this experience as a negative unless you're looking to do so.  Big picture wise, I think it has gone about as well as possible, get our extremely youthful team big game, and knockout game, experience.  Long term that is going to be great in 2026 when our "golden generation" is all in their prime and we're hosting. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #243 on: November 30, 2022, 11:13:26 AM »
The criticisms of berhalter are legitimate. We were so poor closing the wales and Iran game. He’s been very late reacting to the flow of the game and getting the correct subs in to maintain possession and his high press. Both of those games, I questioned the like for like switch of wright for Sargent.

For me Sargent has been immense this tournament. Not great service, hasn’t made the most of his couple half chances but his work rate, positioning and hold up play has been incredible. It’s no surprise that when haji comes on, we look lost up front and lose a bunch of possession. I’m surprised ferrera hasn’t played instead of wright. Jesus is better on the ball and has a better work rate which helps kill off games.

Shaq Moore has been absolutely abysmal in his two cameos. He has no business getting on the field anymore this tournament. Horrible in possession and constantly out of position. I thought Yedlin was ok against wales, but still, what does scally need to do to get on the field? He plays in a possession based system at monchengladbach, while playing/playing well every week.

Reyna is the obvious sub who can help with possession but it’s very clear ggg doesn’t see any value in him.

Ggg comes out with an excellent game plan but struggles with the appropriate in game tactical decisions in the second half.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #244 on: November 30, 2022, 12:34:09 PM »

Shaq Moore has been absolutely abysmal in his two cameos. He has no business getting on the field anymore this tournament. Horrible in possession and constantly out of position. I thought Yedlin was ok against wales, but still, what does scally need to do to get on the field? He plays in a possession based system at monchengladbach, while playing/playing well every week.

The Shaq Moore experiment continues to be baffling.  He's been AWFUL.  Dempsey roasted him after the match

"Shaq Moore, I saw him put his hand up saying "my bad" than actual passes completed"

But I even thought his roster inclusion didn't even make sense.  In 3 years he's went from spot La Liga starts...to Spanish Segunda Division...to MLS.  And he's going to what should be his prime.  Doesn't say much to deflect from the Gregggg MLS favoritism critique.  But good lord he better be stapled to the bench on Saturday.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #245 on: November 30, 2022, 01:53:25 PM »
If these results hold, pretty much a dream quadrant for the US.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #246 on: November 30, 2022, 01:57:40 PM »
For all the criticism or concern about the US, Mexico absolutely STINKS right now

EDIT: They score 10 min after I post this, 3 min into the second half  ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 02:10:08 PM by JWags85 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #247 on: November 30, 2022, 02:32:01 PM »
High drama building over goal differentials.

Mexico close to a miracle.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #248 on: November 30, 2022, 02:33:21 PM »
So as it stands Poland because of fewer yellows?  There another tiebreaker I'm missing?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #249 on: November 30, 2022, 02:33:31 PM »
High drama building over goal differentials.

Mexico close to a miracle.

If the two, 2-0 results stand, I believe Poland will go through based on the seventh tiebreaker - more fair play points. (They have had less yellow cards.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback