[Today at 04:32:41 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 World Cup Thread  (Read 27507 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: 2022 World Cup Thread
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2022, 09:32:51 AM »
We never really did any prediction stuff for the world cup in this thread.  Before we get too far into the tournanment, does anyone have any fun predictions or put any shekels down on any futures?  The horse I backed the most was Belgium, with some money on them to reach the quarters, semis, and final.  For the odds, I like their golden generation to do the late blooming thing we saw with Spain and to a lesser extent, Portugal. I also have some shares of Ecuador as far as the quarters and Denmark to the semis.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2022, 09:37:52 AM »
Are games being shown on Fox all day?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mug644

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2022, 10:31:46 AM »
We never really did any prediction stuff for the world cup in this thread.  Before we get too far into the tournanment, does anyone have any fun predictions or put any shekels down on any futures?  The horse I backed the most was Belgium, with some money on them to reach the quarters, semis, and final.  For the odds, I like their golden generation to do the late blooming thing we saw with Spain and to a lesser extent, Portugal. I also have some shares of Ecuador as far as the quarters and Denmark to the semis.

I like England and the Netherlands as the "just below the clear favorites" (France, Argentina, Brazil) to potentially pull it off.

Are games being shown on Fox all day?

Games in the group stage are generally shown live from 4am CST until about 2pm CST (that's days with 4 games, like today).

Crazy how the schedule seems more about timezone management for the audience than for the players. The US game yesterday started at 10pm in Qatar. Of course, not playing in the heat of the day is a key part of that too.)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2022, 10:55:52 AM »
Only 2 goals from open play in around 4 hours of match time thus far today, yuck.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2022, 12:04:52 PM »

I was scrolling for this.

There weren’t many surprises. 5-3-2 shell for Wales. After working to get the first goal, you put your foot on the gas instead off taking it off of the gas.

Wales, as expected, changed tactics, personnel (Moore) and alignment which meant more direct play from them, a little less possession for the U.S. (which was fine) a little more defending from the U.S. (which was also fine).

But it created several counters, opened space, and too often the final third connecting pass wasn’t good enough, quick enough, or even taken at all. Lots of pulling back, and playing to hold on for 75 minutes. Sometimes you get the result for which the way you play the game.

Overall it was fine, but the opportunity was there to play for 2 or 3 to zero, etc…before possibly conceding a goal.

I didn't like how they were attacking in the first half. Lots of wasted crosses from Puli, weah, Dest.

In the 2nd, once Wales started pressing, apparently GGG told the team that they needed to kill Wales in transition. They had plenty of chances. But....

https://twitter.com/MattDoyle76/status/1594865982778081281?t=HOQuHS9TSVUxzc8CU_F36g&s=19

panda

• All American
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2022, 12:57:23 PM »
Pulisic was really not good in the second half.  He had a great motor all match but needed to be better.  Jordan Morris coming on basically signaled they were fine with a draw.

Penalty was the correct call, that was beyond stupid by Zimmerman.  But holy SH** was that referee awful and worse as the match progressed.  Inconsistent, no clue what constitutes a yellow, stopping play for cramps.  Give me a break dude.

I’m not sure who else would take set pieces but pulisic ain’t it. He struggled during qualifying too. Extremely wasteful.

Aaronson should start over mckennie against England. Mckennie injured and not up for the challenge.

Loved what Jedi brought. Constant running, strong in the tackle and positionally solid.

Yedlin looked very nervy coming on. Would prefer scally. I know he’s young but he’s played so well for monchengladbach.

Also didn’t agree with the Sargent substitute. Loved his work rate and Haji couldn’t replicate it. Also different changes were needed and a like for like up top did nothing tactically for us.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2022, 01:15:42 PM »
The frogs in early trouble.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2022, 01:29:16 PM »
Aussie, aussie, aussie,

oops, oops, oy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2022, 01:33:31 PM »
Disregard.    ;D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2022, 02:31:34 PM »
Oy, oy, oy
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2022, 02:47:35 PM »
I’m not sure who else would take set pieces but pulisic ain’t it. He struggled during qualifying too. Extremely wasteful.

Aaronson should start over mckennie against England. Mckennie injured and not up for the challenge.

Loved what Jedi brought. Constant running, strong in the tackle and positionally solid.

Yedlin looked very nervy coming on. Would prefer scally. I know he’s young but he’s played so well for monchengladbach.

Also didn’t agree with the Sargent substitute. Loved his work rate and Haji couldn’t replicate it. Also different changes were needed and a like for like up top did nothing tactically for us.

Totally agree on most of these.  Pulisic was delivering such a flat, unplayable ball on any sort of crossed set piece.

Jedi was the most pleasant unexpected surprise yesterday.  He was fantastic and all over the place.

I agree Scally needs some run.  He and Yedlin are on such wildly different career trajectories.  Yedlin has the WC experience but hes been on a downtick for years and Scally is starting for a good Bundesliga team facing top strikers every week.

Need more Aaronson and would love to see some De La Torre, love his energy and attitude.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2022, 02:48:23 PM »
LES BLEUS!!!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2022, 08:59:52 AM »
Bonzai!

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2022, 09:26:48 AM »
The mighty Germans go down! Wow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2022, 09:28:52 AM »
And the biggest storyline will still be what happened during the pregame photos.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2022, 09:31:44 AM »
Is it just me or has ESPN engaged an AI to write the game story: https://www.espn.com/soccer/report?gameId=633797

Japan scored two late goals to come from behind and stun Germany with a 2-1 win in their World Cup Group E opener on Wednesday.

Midfielder Ilkay Gundogan gave Germany the lead with a penalty on 33 minutes at the Khalifa International Stadium in Doha, and forward Kai Havertz had the ball in the back of the net just ahead of half-time but the goal was ruled out for offside.

ADVERTISEMENT

- Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, more (U.S.)

However, Japan hit back with goals from striker Ritsu Doan and Takuma Asano in the final 15 minutes to claim their first ever win over Germany and cause an early tournament upset.

The shock result was a repeat of their 2018 World Cup nightmare when, as defending champions, they lost their opener to Mexico and, after another defeat by South Korea, were condemned to a surprise group-stage exit.

Germany players placed their hands over their mouths during their prematch team photo, while the country's interior minister Nancy Faeser sat next to FIFA president Gianni Infantino wearing the "OneLove" armband as FIFA's threat of sanctions over protest continued.

Hansi Flick's side enjoyed early dominance and were rewarded when Joshua Kimmich picked out David Raum in acres of space in the box and goalkeeper Shuichi Gonda clumsily brought him down as he turned, with Gundogan dispatching the penalty in the 33rd minute.

There was initially little change to the pattern in the second half as Jamal Musiala shot over after a penetrating run and Gundogan clipped a post.

Gonda then made amends with four successive saves to deny Jonas Hofmann and Serge Gnabry, keeping his side in the game.

Germany goalkeeper Manuel Neuer, appearing in his fourth World Cup, was alert to save from Hiroki Sakai and did well again soon after to block from Takumi Minamino, only for fellow substitute Doan to smash in the loose ball.

Suddenly buoyed, Japan pushed on and Asano showed great strength to bring down a high free kick and hold off defender Nico Schlotterbeck and fantastic technique to hammer the ball into the smallest of spaces.

Germany launched all-out attack from then on, to no avail, and now face a potentially must-win game next against Spain.

Japan next face Costa Rica and will already be dreaming of the last 16.

Information from Reuters contributed to this report.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2022, 09:45:15 AM »
The mighty Germans go down! Wow

On Saturday my Munich taxi driver taking me to the airport said this was a weak German team by historical German standards.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2022, 09:49:06 AM »
On Saturday my Munich taxi driver taking me to the airport said this was a weak German team by historical German standards.

Super interesting, and I think it might apply to several of the historically strong countries. Certainly the changes in the tourney have affected some of the teams with high level club players. WC soccer is certainly a tick down and less time together can’t help. These early round games will be all over the place, I think some of the best will still rise to the top.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2022, 09:54:25 AM »
Is it just me or has ESPN engaged an AI to write the game story

Most days I feel the same way about Scoop.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2022, 10:15:50 AM »

They are down. Nowhere near historical.

The program is in flux and they're stuck between generations.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #120 on: November 23, 2022, 10:21:49 AM »
Had to be even sweeter given a good number of the Japan national team play in the Bundesliga

That sounds like some classic dry German pessimism.  You could say the team is inexperienced, in terms of World Cup caps, but its certainly not weak, even by German standards.  Is it an all time XI?  No, but seems like some rosy backwards looking glasses.

The defense is not as star studded and stout as its been, but the midfield and attack are completely world class.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #121 on: November 23, 2022, 11:01:45 AM »
And the biggest storyline will still be what happened during the pregame photos.
What happened?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2022, 11:04:47 AM »
What happened?

The Krauts all put their hands over their mouths, to signal that they were being silenced by FIFA in regards to the onelove armbands.

That 2nd Japan goal was amazing.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2022, 11:29:42 AM »
That’s great. FIFA has been exposed heavily

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2022, 11:39:53 AM »
That’s great. FIFA has been exposed heavily

It’s a shame a great spectacle like the World Cup is run by such a corrupt entity but as I’ve always said, sports are as political as anything
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory