[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What does Shaka need to get done in Year 2 for you to remain a Ya-ka?

Serious BE or NCAA success - Top 3, BET title or S16 or better
13 (6.3%)
Just win a f'in NCAA game
62 (29.8%)
Make the Dance
68 (32.7%)
.500 BE Season, NIT
36 (17.3%)
Don't lose to any of the cupcakes.
3 (1.4%)
Results don't matter. Trust the Process.
17 (8.2%)
Arby's
9 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 208

Author Topic: Shaka Year 2  (Read 10137 times)

1SE

• All American
Shaka Year 2
« on: November 07, 2022, 07:03:47 AM »
Alright boys and girls, with tip-off hours away what does MU need to accomplish in year 2 of the Shaka era for you to stay on board? 5 years to judge? First NCAA win in a gazillion years? Unquantifiable "Progress and Process"? Place your marker.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

tower912

• All American
Re: Shaka Year 2
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 07:16:14 AM »
Will the retain and develop model work?    If the team has roughly the same success as last season WITHOUT the flashy transfer in, I will view it as a success.   Because there are a lot of minutes and points to replace.  If that is accomplished by development of returnees along with successful integration of non one-and-done recruits, that will be more than adequate proof of concept.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

panda

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 07:16:17 AM »
For me, last season it was much more straightforward to project the roster. Lewis was prime for a breakout, Morsell was dying for a different role outside of Maryland which he was more than prepared for and Kuath was a rock in the paint. With those three leading the charge, I confidently said we’d make the tournament.

This year many more question marks. The ceiling of this team is much higher than last year, but the floor is much lower. We need some big jumps from guys who haven’t necessarily proved themselves in go to guy roles yet. 

All of the consensus expected go to guys this season (Jones/Joplin/Oso) never have been big time minutes guys in college yet.

Omax and TK started last year and were inconsistent.

Can omax be a 30 minute per game stat stuffer while leading the spear of the press ? Can TK prove to be a competent scorer with the ball in his hands ? Will Kam Jones expand his game beyond three point shooting and become more rugged/direct in the paint/around the basket ? Will Oso be able to bulk up inside and not get pushed around ? Will Joplin realize his scoring potential ? What can Stevie bring consistently on the offensive end ?

So many guys haven’t proven they can play the part yet at this level which is why I voted 500 and nit. Next season will be the big one if we can keep the core together.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 08:12:48 AM »
One could even call this Shaka's 2nd Test.  8-)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 08:23:33 AM »
Will the retain and develop model work?    If the team has roughly the same success as last season WITHOUT the flashy transfer in, I will view it as a success.   Because there are a lot of minutes and points to replace.  If that is accomplished by development of returnees along with successful integration of non one-and-done recruits, that will be more than adequate proof of concept.

Agreed.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 08:24:41 AM »
I am going with my prediction from last year, safely in NCAA by end of February. Top five in BE and one win NCAA win or better.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 08:29:19 AM »
Well said Panda.  But like Tower I would like a little more proof of concept this year and somehow squeak into the NCAA tournament. If we go NIT this year I would not be a sky is falling person if the team finishes strong and is on some type of roll at the end of the year.   

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2022, 09:02:10 AM »
If you don't think this team will dance, it's because you don't realize how F*ck'n good Tyler Kolek is. 

Buckle up. 

Playing on Friday at MSG
Playing for a trip to the S16
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 10:27:14 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2022, 09:10:52 AM »
If you don't think this team will dance, it's because you don't realize how F*ck'n good Tyler Kolek is. 

Buckle up. 

Playing on Friday at MSG
Playing for a a trip to the S16

Love it Lens!  I hope you and Goose are right on the money.  I can definitely see it if everything comes together.  The potential ceiling is very high for this team. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2022, 09:11:35 AM »
Well said Panda.  But like Tower I would like a little more proof of concept this year and somehow squeak into the NCAA tournament. If we go NIT this year I would not be a sky is falling person if the team finishes strong and is on some type of roll at the end of the year.   

I think Panda and I are seeing it in similar ways, if expressing it slightly differently.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

panda

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2022, 09:20:10 AM »
I think Panda and I are seeing it in similar ways, if expressing it slightly differently.   

Agree - year two of the Shaka era without taking a single d1 transfer will be a bumpy road, especially early given our challenging non con. I expect to see a nice upswing come conference season as guys adjust to larger roles but we may get in too much trouble early to dig ourselves out and make the ncaas.

Will be a fun season and hopefully exceeding my expectations given my hopeful massive Joplin boost ;-)

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2022, 09:28:34 AM »

Buckle up. 

Playing on Friday at MSG
Playing for a a trip to the S16

Whoa Lens, starting with the hard stuff pretty early.  I don't think I started drinking this early since I was a student.    What are you having?
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2022, 09:34:44 AM »
I am going with my prediction from last year, safely in NCAA by end of February. Top five in BE and one win NCAA win or better.

I haven't made my official prediction yet ... so now's as good a time as any.

You and I are on a similar page, Goose. I'll say 18-20 wins and an NCAA bid. Main hope is that we're actually playing well in February and March so that maybe we can make some noise in the tourney.

I actually feel better going into this season than last. I've seen that Shaka and his assistants can develop talent, I really like the dimension that Sean Jones can bring, and I look for big improvement from several of our guys.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2022, 09:40:16 AM »
I'm looking for a major decline in the number of times per game I scream "WTF"? 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2022, 09:45:45 AM »
The Lens

Actually, my post earlier is my expectations, not a prediction. I think this team is going to better than last year and also think Kolek is the real deal. There is not a guy on the team that I am not excited to see play this season and expectations are high.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2022, 10:41:20 AM »
What is a Ya-ka? Someone who believes that Shaka is all that and a bag of chips? Someone who doesn't think Shaka should be fired on the spot? Something inbetween?

For Shaka's seat to get colder (and to be clear, it's already ice cold): 6-seed or higher or Sweet 16 appearance or Big East Tournament Champions
For Shaka's seat to stay the same temp: NCAA bid
For Shaka's seat to get warmer: NIT or lower
For Shaka to get fired: Winning 7 games or less (assuming not due to uncontrollable circumstance, e.g. multiple injured starters)

I'm feeling 7-9 seed for this team.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 11:16:34 AM by TAMU, the Wizard of MU Basketball »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2022, 11:02:05 AM »
18-13.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2022, 11:04:43 AM »
This is a second weekend team. It’s gonna be a fun season
Bring back FFP!!!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2022, 11:04:57 AM »
What is a Ya-ka? Someone who believes that Shaka is all that and a bag of chips? Someone who doesn't think Shaka should be fired on the spot? Something inbetween?

For Shaka's seat to get colder: 6-seed or higher or Sweet 16 appearance or Big East Tournament Champions
For Shaka's seat to stay the same temp: NCAA bid
For Shaka's seat to get warmer: NIT or lower
For Shaka to get fired: Winning 7 games or less

I'm feeling 7-9 seed for this team.

Bring Rick Pitino to Milwaukee
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2022, 11:07:56 AM »
Bring Rick Pitino to Milwaukee
Which Italian restaurant?
Goal is National Championship

Norm

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2022, 11:14:18 AM »
I wish I was as optimistic as most of you on here.

I think this is going to be a rough year with no post season. I don't think MU upgraded their roster like most other Big East teams did and our non-conference is not a cakewalk.

I'll root hard each game but not expecting much this year.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2022, 11:15:23 AM »
I wish I was as optimistic as most of you on here.

I think this is going to be a rough year with no post season. I don't think MU upgraded their roster like most other Big East teams did and our non-conference is not a cakewalk.

I'll root hard each game but not expecting much this year.

Not even NIT?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2022, 11:33:41 AM »
Which Italian restaurant?
Gloriholiso's Italian Market

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2022, 11:44:04 AM »
My range of expectations are .500 on the low end to win an NCAA tourney game on the high end.

Next year, I will have higher expectations.  This year is about finding a core of 5-7 players that becomes a top 25 team next year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2022, 12:50:17 PM »
Actually, my post earlier is my expectations, not a prediction. I think this team is going to better than last year and also think Kolek is the real deal. There is not a guy on the team that I am not excited to see play this season and expectations are high.

I mean, you used the word "prediction" right in your post.

What's the difference between your "expectations" and your "prediction," Goose? And if there is a difference, what's your prediction?