'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 469915 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Big East Regular Season, BET and NCAA Results 22-23
« Reply #2550 on: March 15, 2023, 11:53:16 AM »
But isn't that a risk every time you show up for basketball practice? Or play pickup ball with some friends?

I think it would be a shame if players start treating the NIT like football players treat the Pro Bowl.

This
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #2551 on: March 15, 2023, 01:44:09 PM »
But isn't that a risk every time you show up for basketball practice? Or play pickup ball with some friends?

I think it would be a shame if players start treating the NIT like football players treat the Pro Bowl.

Yea, there is certainly a risk every day, but it’s heightened during a competitive basketball game. If anyone cared about the NIT, it would be one thing, but there just is no reason to add to your risk for so little upside.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #2552 on: March 15, 2023, 01:49:37 PM »
Yea, there is certainly a risk every day, but it’s heightened during a competitive basketball game. If anyone cared about the NIT, it would be one thing, but there just is no reason to add to your risk for so little upside.

This pretty much sums up the argument for not playing.  I don't agree.  You play to support your teammates - it may not draw a lot of fan interest but its is a tournament where you play for a championship in MSG - that provides a lot of motivation to the players themselves.  Basketball is not football - the risk isn't remotely comparable.  If you are a competitor and a good teammate you should play.  Just my 2 cents...

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #2553 on: March 15, 2023, 02:10:42 PM »
This pretty much sums up the argument for not playing.  I don't agree.  You play to support your teammates - it may not draw a lot of fan interest but its is a tournament where you play for a championship in MSG - that provides a lot of motivation to the players themselves.  Basketball is not football - the risk isn't remotely comparable.  If you are a competitor and a good teammate you should play.  Just my 2 cents...

When the options are "Play a meaningless game" or "Sit out and protect my draft stock for those sweet sweet millions in generational wealth for a first round contract" I always go with the latter. There are 30 regular season games showing that they were a good competitor and teammate. A game that means nothing isn't worth it.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

source?

• All American
« Reply #2554 on: March 15, 2023, 02:11:20 PM »
The whole Dayton team skipped the NIT this year and they don't have any NBA prospects. I wonder how often that happens.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2555 on: March 15, 2023, 02:52:36 PM »
The whole Dayton team skipped the NIT this year and they don't have any NBA prospects. I wonder how often that happens.

They had a bunch of injuries that required surgery. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2556 on: March 15, 2023, 03:01:05 PM »

Thought Holmes was a prospect? Or was that just announcer hype?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2557 on: March 15, 2023, 03:04:28 PM »
When the options are "Play a meaningless game" or "Sit out and protect my draft stock for those sweet sweet millions in generational wealth for a first round contract" I always go with the latter. There are 30 regular season games showing that they were a good competitor and teammate. A game that means nothing isn't worth it.

This 100%, If you have a legit shot at millions of dollars it doesn't matter if the risk is negligible, if it's 1/100 and you're the 1 who loses their chance then a lot of good those stats did.

Plus if you aren't coming back anyways there's no point is supporting your teammates on the court by taking away development from the next generation. Sit on the sideline and be a supportive teammate sure but if you're graduating that's development time for the next batch of players. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2558 on: March 15, 2023, 03:14:36 PM »
but its is a tournament where you play for a championship in MSG -

This isn't your father's NIT. The NIT finals are no longer in MSG but in Las Vegas like seemingly everything else.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #2559 on: March 15, 2023, 03:52:31 PM »
This is the third year of a rotating NIT, only the second time not in NYC. '24- Indy, '23- Vegas, '22- Madison Square Garden, '21- Texas. Badger fans are buying up the Indy tickets ahead of next season.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2560 on: March 15, 2023, 04:01:26 PM »

So you would have been okay with Markus sitting out the NIT the year we played in it?
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2561 on: March 15, 2023, 04:02:37 PM »
i'd rather go to vegas over NYC 1000%
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2562 on: March 15, 2023, 04:04:09 PM »

i know a team that skipped the ncaa in favor of the NIT 8-)
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2563 on: March 15, 2023, 04:04:25 PM »
So you would have been okay with Markus sitting out the NIT the year we played in it?

His senior year? Not a problem at all.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2564 on: March 15, 2023, 04:25:50 PM »

His senior year? Not a problem at all.

You can get injured your junior year at the NIT as well.  What's the difference?

Don't forget that he hadn't announced whether he was going to stay or not at that point.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 04:27:21 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2565 on: March 15, 2023, 04:29:33 PM »
You can get injured your junior year at the NIT as well.  What's the difference?

They would be sitting out to protect their draft status. Like the Nova players are.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #2567 on: March 15, 2023, 11:18:42 PM »

His senior year, yeah. But that wasn't his senior year. College is great,  but blowing your knee out and losing out on potential millions a few months after for a glorified exhibition doesn't make sense for an NBA prospect. This is why football players also sit out of the TaxAct 1099 Bowl Presented by swisher sweet vape pens for a 6 win team. There's nothing worth playing for unless you're trying to build on something for next year--and those guys aren't because they won't be there next year.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Carl

• Team Captain
« Reply #2568 on: March 15, 2023, 11:52:31 PM »

You’re right, they’re wrong. No sense arguing. Always just end up with some self righteous sentiment about seeing things through, being a good teammate, “the risk is so low”. Meaningless games are just that. Only problem I’ve had with it had some huge caveats. I think there was a star OSU football player this year that sat out the playoff game. Buttttt….. he was a projected top 10 pick that had been hurt all year and had just gotten cleared to play from yet another injury. That guy gets a big time hall pass. Do what everybody in every other walk of life does and maximize your chances for a successful, happy life

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2569 on: March 16, 2023, 05:26:05 AM »
You’re right, they’re wrong. No sense arguing. Always just end up with some self righteous sentiment about seeing things through, being a good teammate, “the risk is so low”. Meaningless games are just that. Only problem I’ve had with it had some huge caveats. I think there was a star OSU football player this year that sat out the playoff game. Buttttt….. he was a projected top 10 pick that had been hurt all year and had just gotten cleared to play from yet another injury. That guy gets a big time hall pass. Do what everybody in every other walk of life does and maximize your chances for a successful, happy life
At that point, being a "good teammate" would be to let the underclassmen/bench players get some minutes.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #2570 on: March 16, 2023, 05:43:07 AM »
Ok, but then why should any athlete play any meaningless game. If you are an NBA prospect and it's clear your team is out of contention for the tournament by February, why not shut it down then? Are those remaining games any more meaningful than the NIT?

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2571 on: March 16, 2023, 07:16:50 AM »
Ok, but then why should any athlete play any meaningless game. If you are an NBA prospect and it's clear your team is out of contention for the tournament by February, why not shut it down then? Are those remaining games any more meaningful than the NIT?
Conference tournament to get the autobid.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2572 on: March 16, 2023, 07:23:43 AM »

Then Villanova should have passed on the invite like UNC did.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2573 on: March 16, 2023, 09:08:59 AM »
Are there really Scoopers who think that a projected top-10 pick who already missed a chunk of this season with a serious injury should have participated in the effen NIT?

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2574 on: March 16, 2023, 09:14:47 AM »
Are there really Scoopers who think that a projected top-10 pick who already missed a chunk of this season with a serious injury should have participated in the effen NIT?
In a Venn diagram, probably the same ones who don't think players should make $$