Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results  (Read 430476 times)

mugrad_89

• All American
Re: Big East Regular Season, BET and NCAA Results 22-23
« Reply #2575 on: March 16, 2023, 10:37:32 AM »
Are there really Scoopers who think that a projected top-10 pick who already missed a chunk of this season with a serious injury should have participated in the effen NIT?

How is this any different than football players who opt out of bowl games?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2576 on: March 16, 2023, 12:03:54 PM »
I will give the opposite side of the argument. The NIT is a bona fide tournament with a long history. It is not the NCAA tournament for sure, but still lots of good quality players on teams that are fighting to win the tournament. For example , last year when X and Buzz got to the final it was a real battle in The Championship.

So this is an opportunity to put up to 5 decent games of film in a playoff situation where its win or out.  That is of value to some talent evaluators.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2577 on: March 16, 2023, 02:41:36 PM »
I will give the opposite side of the argument. The NIT is a bona fide tournament with a long history. It is not the NCAA tournament for sure, but still lots of good quality players on teams that are fighting to win the tournament. For example , last year when X and Buzz got to the final it was a real battle in The Championship.

So this is an opportunity to put up to 5 decent games of film in a playoff situation where its win or out.  That is of value to some talent evaluators.

So you would’ve advised Grimes to play in the NIT then I guess.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #2578 on: March 16, 2023, 03:04:14 PM »
So you would’ve advised Grimes to play in the NIT then I guess.
Remember he is dead, no financial worries.
Goal is National Championship

source?

• All American
« Reply #2579 on: March 16, 2023, 03:37:25 PM »

Projected top ten picks don't need to get more film.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2580 on: March 16, 2023, 07:37:41 PM »
How is this any different than football players who opt out of bowl games?

It’s not.

I’d advise any legit NFL prospect to skip a non-playoff (in other words, exhibition) bowl game, too.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 07:52:39 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2581 on: March 17, 2023, 06:09:22 AM »
It’s not.

I’d advice any legit NFL prospect to skip a non-playoff (in other words, exhibition) bowl game, too.

Would they be expected to return their NIL money to companies that they contracted with?  What about the bettors?  Or fans who bought tickets to travel to see the games?

Skipping games when there was just a scholarship as a payment was easier to answer this question a few years ago but the landscape of college sports has changed a lot in the past few years. Pro sports have lists they publish (injuries, PUP, etc) that legally protects them from liability but college sports has no such thing currently.

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #2582 on: March 17, 2023, 07:22:05 AM »
Are there really Scoopers who think that a projected top-10 pick who already missed a chunk of this season with a serious injury should have participated in the effen NIT?

Yes.  Basketball is not football - the risk isn't remotely close. Villanova likely competes for a championship if their best players play - which benefits everyone.  Its part of building a culture.  Your logic btw is awful: he should not have come back at all once injured - he should not have played college ball - whats the point?  He would likely remained a top ten pick if he sat and worked with a top flight trainer the remainder of/or instead of the season.  This whole "the NIT is meaningless" is also basically nonsense.  So is the NCAA tournament when compared with making millions of dollars in the NBA.  Players play and compete for championships whether its before conference play or after.  Thats my 2 cents and I think you know where you can "effen" stick it...

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2583 on: March 17, 2023, 07:51:57 AM »
All 5 Big East squads playing today. Lets hope they can all make it to Sunday. Would be good for The Big East cause. Especially with TV negotiations coming up, sets a nice table.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2584 on: March 17, 2023, 07:57:49 AM »
Yes.  Basketball is not football - the risk isn't remotely close. Villanova likely competes for a championship if their best players play - which benefits everyone.  Its part of building a culture.  Your logic btw is awful: he should not have come back at all once injured - he should not have played college ball - whats the point?  He would likely remained a top ten pick if he sat and worked with a top flight trainer the remainder of/or instead of the season.  This whole "the NIT is meaningless" is also basically nonsense.  So is the NCAA tournament when compared with making millions of dollars in the NBA.  Players play and compete for championships whether its before conference play or after.  Thats my 2 cents and I think you know where you can "effen" stick it...

Lol
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2585 on: March 17, 2023, 08:03:10 AM »

Wow, you're really hepped up about this. Cool. We'll agree to disagree. Most importantly, athletes will continue to agree to disagree with you, so you'll have plenty of clouds to shake your fist at every year.

Would they be expected to return their NIL money to companies that they contracted with?  What about the bettors?  Or fans who bought tickets to travel to see the games?

Skipping games when there was just a scholarship as a payment was easier to answer this question a few years ago but the landscape of college sports has changed a lot in the past few years. Pro sports have lists they publish (injuries, PUP, etc) that legally protects them from liability but college sports has no such thing currently.

We'll have to see if lawsuits and/or NIL claw-backs come out of these situations, which will only grow in the future as athletes protect themselves by sitting out non-playoff bowls and non-NCAAT postseason events. I'm guessing there won't be a run of lawsuits, but maybe there will be.

I wish Whitmore and Moore nothing but success after making what, in my mind, was a sound business decision. And if they had chosen to play, I'd have supported that decision, too, though I might have advised otherwise.

Now ... bigger fish to fry today. We Are Marquette!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2586 on: March 17, 2023, 08:05:12 AM »

I'm sure that the players feel ashamed that they decided not to perform for you for the glory of the 69th (nice) place trophy.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 08:06:53 AM by The Sultan of Semantics »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #2587 on: March 17, 2023, 08:31:42 AM »
Quote from: MU82 link=topic=63698.msg1535376#msg1535376 date=
Wow, you're really hepped up about this. Cool. We'll agree to disagree. Most importantly, athletes will continue to agree to disagree with you, so you'll have plenty of clouds to shake your fist at every year.

We'll have to see if lawsuits and/or NIL claw-backs come out of these situations, which will only grow in the future as athletes protect themselves by sitting out non-playoff bowls and non-NCAAT postseason events. I'm guessing there won't be a run of lawsuits, but maybe there will be.

I wish Whitmore and Moore nothing but success after making what, in my mind, was a sound business decision. And if they had chosen to play, I'd have supported that decision, too, though I might have advised otherwise.

The question this raises is whether feelings would be the same with respect to the NCAA tournament itself.  Or the Big East tournament.  Or even late-season games after a player is already identified as a sure-fire lottery pick.

If one is going to make the argument that Whitmore is right to sit out the NIT because of the chance of injury, doesn't that also apply to the NCAA tournament?  Yes, the NCAA is a more important tournament, but it doesn't provide any less chance of injury, and it's not going to have much of an impact on a guy who's already going to be picked among the top 10 in the NBA draft.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2588 on: March 17, 2023, 08:46:08 AM »
If someone wants to sit out the NCAA tournament, feel free. They won’t because it’s a tournament with actual meaning.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #2589 on: March 17, 2023, 08:49:43 AM »

Pardon me but that's "effen" shake my fists at clouds lol.  Go Marquette!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2590 on: March 17, 2023, 09:04:06 AM »
The question this raises is whether feelings would be the same with respect to the NCAA tournament itself.  Or the Big East tournament.  Or even late-season games after a player is already identified as a sure-fire lottery pick.

If one is going to make the argument that Whitmore is right to sit out the NIT because of the chance of injury, doesn't that also apply to the NCAA tournament?  Yes, the NCAA is a more important tournament, but it doesn't provide any less chance of injury, and it's not going to have much of an impact on a guy who's already going to be picked among the top 10 in the NBA draft.

I'm not gonna engage in a hypothetical situation that I doubt will happen.

When McCaffrey and Fournette wisely decided to sit out exhibition bowl games after the 2016 season, hypotheticals were the rage -- "It's only a matter of time before some selfish prima donna sits out the national championship game." But it hasn't happened, and I don't think it will. Nor do I think top college basketball players who spent half their lives dreaming of "One Shining Moment" will sit out the NCAA tournament.

OTOH, I guess there is precedent (kinda). Al McGuire has been canonized for a number of things over the years -- one of them being advising Jim Chones to quit school to go pro late in the 1971-72 season, quashing the title hopes of one of the best Marquette teams ever.

It was a business decision.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2591 on: March 17, 2023, 04:24:55 PM »
X battles back to get a first round win. Each win earns the Big East NCAA units . More money is a good thing.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2592 on: March 17, 2023, 04:55:36 PM »
Pitino up 2 over Huskies at the Half
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2593 on: March 17, 2023, 05:20:13 PM »
Excellent win for The Blue Jays. Picking up more NCAA units for The Big East. Also nice to beat an ACC team.
                       ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2594 on: March 17, 2023, 05:33:51 PM »
BEast about to get to 4-0.  Hopefully Providence finds a way vs Kentucky. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2595 on: March 17, 2023, 08:29:43 PM »
Cooley screwed The Big East out of some NCAA units , too busy playing footsie with The Hoyas.

4-1 Big East still solid for First Round
                       ---Al McGuire

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #2596 on: March 17, 2023, 08:45:37 PM »
All 5 Big East squads playing today. Lets hope they can all make it to Sunday.

Sorry, Prov. Hard to beat a better team, eh, Cooley, when you don't get 49 FT's to 19. See ya.

Glad for the other BE squads, don't feel bad about PC at all.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2597 on: March 17, 2023, 09:08:53 PM »
Sorry, Prov. Hard to beat a better team, eh, Cooley, when you don't get 49 FT's to 19. See ya.

Glad for the other BE squads, don't feel bad about PC at all.
In recent weeks I have become bearish on Cooley, primarily for throwing his team under the bus before the season was over. I actually  hope The Hoyas hire the Penn State Coach, but doubt he would leave a Big Ten program.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2598 on: March 17, 2023, 09:50:28 PM »
Another fine ending to a season by The Great Ed Cooley.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #2599 on: March 17, 2023, 10:00:04 PM »
In recent weeks I have become bearish on Cooley, primarily for throwing his team under the bus before the season was over. I actually  hope The Hoyas hire the Penn State Coach, but doubt he would leave a Big Ten program.

Yea had to be a distraction for his team.   And who would run to GT?  The PennState guy is in a better spot now than he would be at GT.  And Cooley has lost his tem with his distractions and leaving them in the lurch.