collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cancelling high school football  (Read 5493 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Cancelling high school football
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2022, 10:40:52 PM »
A great conversation I had with one of my fellow travel basketball coaches I had was very enlightening for myself about travel ball.

Backstory: our 5th grade travel basketball tryouts in cudahy went terrible. Of the 13 kids who tried out, one had any kind of talent. The rest were literally awful. And I mean, could not make a layup in 10 tries bad. Zero form, etc.

We honestly thought we were on candid camera.

We go on to explain to the head of the organization that the 5th grade team would be better served by joining the community rec league, not as an insult, but as an actual suggestion. I CORRECTLY prophesied that they would only score a single basket in a game.

The conversation:
After coaching one of their disasterious practices (they did NOT want to learn, mainly tackle on a wrestling mat)

my fellow coach with a son on a very good travel baseball team was conversing with a player on the 5th grade team. The child told him he played for GRB baseball out of milwaukee. A very well known travel team. This kid did not have an ounce of athletic ability.

My fellow coach looked at me and asked "What is Greg doing, stealing his money!?!?!?. I responded, "aren't we doing the same thing?" And I was correct.

That's the unfortunate state of travel ball now.

My nephew in NJ is a similar age and similar experiences.  He's a basketball NUT, has been going on playing with his Dad at the gym for his Sunday league games since he could walk.  But he was only 8-9, so he was playing community rec ball in their town. 

Not that kids at that age are bombing 3s and slick dribbling, but it was like Yakety Sax.  Picture every stereotypical unathletic kid.  Kids kicking the ball.  Just picking up the ball and running.  Being that its a heavily Jewish community, you had, swear on my life, kids throwing their yarmulkes at shots in the air.

So they decide, fine, he needs to play on a travel/select team.  Signs up with the local program.  Very well funded, slick jerseys, very nice everything...and maybe 2 kids other than my nephew that have ANY business playing leveled up basketball.  My BIL told me that in the first scrimmage, my nephew hit a 3.  The next 3 possessions, 3 other kids tried the exact kind of pull up 3...and all airballed them or glanced off the backboard.  BIL said there is no way he's wasting money on this.

So he moved to a nearby team, he won't know any of his friends, and he won't be a starter right away, but its actually worth it from a development standpoint.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2022, 11:30:18 PM »
Sports in general are on a massive decline.

A few years ago when I helped run the cudahy youth sports program, our rec girls league was outfitted for 5 teams (a far cry from when I was a child with 12+ for each gender in a much smaller town)

We had 6 girls join. Not teams, girls. We partnered with Oak Creek, to make a total of 3 teams.

This year oak creek, cudahy, south milwaukee, and greenfield all partnered. To make 5 teams.

I was told that more kids enrolled to play baseball in the Charlotte area this year than any time in history. My umpire coordinator is at wit's end because there aren't enough umps on his roster.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2022, 05:06:44 AM »
I was a little league coach for my son.   We had worked with a group of kids since they were 7.   We played in some local tournaments against travel teams and started out as fodder.    In addition to regular little league.
   By the time this group was 11, as a little league team they went 19-2 and won their bracket of the area little league tournament.   As All-Stars playing against 12 year olds, they won 2 games before getting edged out.   Playing in local travel ball tourneys, we started making finals.
     A bunch scattered over the winter without telling the coaches.    To many different organizations.    The ones left joined a travel team together and went to Cooperstown.   Where we had a great time.

I thoroughly enjoyed helping those kids learn to love the game.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2022, 01:32:41 PM »
A great conversation I had with one of my fellow travel basketball coaches I had was very enlightening for myself about travel ball.

Backstory: our 5th grade travel basketball tryouts in cudahy went terrible. Of the 13 kids who tried out, one had any kind of talent. The rest were literally awful. And I mean, could not make a layup in 10 tries bad. Zero form, etc.

We honestly thought we were on candid camera.

We go on to explain to the head of the organization that the 5th grade team would be better served by joining the community rec league, not as an insult, but as an actual suggestion. I CORRECTLY prophesied that they would only score a single basket in a game.

The conversation:
After coaching one of their disasterious practices (they did NOT want to learn, mainly tackle on a wrestling mat)

my fellow coach with a son on a very good travel baseball team was conversing with a player on the 5th grade team. The child told him he played for GRB baseball out of milwaukee. A very well known travel team. This kid did not have an ounce of athletic ability.

My fellow coach looked at me and asked "What is Greg doing, stealing his money!?!?!?. I responded, "aren't we doing the same thing?" And I was correct.

That's the unfortunate state of travel ball now.

GRB is one of the better programs, but outside of their top team at each age group, it's a money grab.

Their B team is one of the teams we can compete with.  Their cost:  $4000. Our cost:  $275 plus uniforms.  Played in 2 or 3 of the same tournaments this past summer.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2022, 01:36:16 PM »
I was told that more kids enrolled to play baseball in the Charlotte area this year than any time in history. My umpire coordinator is at wit's end because there aren't enough umps on his roster.

The officials shortage is all sports, all ages, everywhere.

I could easily ref 6 or 7 u13-u19 soccer games each Saturday and Sunday, with 4 high school games and 3 more youth games during the week, all without leaving Dane County.

It's worse in the rural areas.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2022, 02:23:45 PM »
I’ll never understand the fear of HS football.

We all have dozens and dozens of friends who played HS football.  How are they today?  There are tens of millions of HS football alums walking around and do you ever hear of their struggles?  Does anyone know of 1 person with CTE issues related to HS football?

Would I want my son to play in the NFL? Not really but even there it’s safer than it’s ever been.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2022, 02:32:23 PM »
I do.   My son was in 4th grade and was talking about playing football starting in 5th grade.   We were at a playoff football game involving his sister's former high school.   Plus, playing for the team was the kid who had been my son's study buddy when my son was in first grade and the player was in 8th grade.  (player is currently in the NFL)

Second half, routine play, suddenly there is a  different player on the ground screaming and pounding the turf.  His leg had been rolled up and it was clear from the bleachers that he had a tib/fib break.   My son went silent and pale.   I took him for a walk to keep him from watching and listening to the player's agony.   My son asked to go home after the next series.   He announced on the way home he was never playing football.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2022, 03:52:57 PM »
The officials shortage is all sports, all ages, everywhere.

I could easily ref 6 or 7 u13-u19 soccer games each Saturday and Sunday, with 4 high school games and 3 more youth games during the week, all without leaving Dane County.

It's worse in the rural areas.

Yeah, as difficult as it is in places like Charlotte and Madison, I'll bet it's a total bear to field officiating crews for any sports in low-population areas.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2022, 05:16:28 PM »
I do.   My son was in 4th grade and was talking about playing football starting in 5th grade.   We were at a playoff football game involving his sister's former high school.   Plus, playing for the team was the kid who had been my son's study buddy when my son was in first grade and the player was in 8th grade.  (player is currently in the NFL)

Second half, routine play, suddenly there is a  different player on the ground screaming and pounding the turf.  His leg had been rolled up and it was clear from the bleachers that he had a tib/fib break.   My son went silent and pale.   I took him for a walk to keep him from watching and listening to the player's agony.   My son asked to go home after the next series.   He announced on the way home he was never playing football.

My son was about that age when he saw Kevin Ware's bone peircing out of his skin (on National Television nonetheless).  In less than two months he's going to try out for freshmen basketball.  I honestly don't know where he finds the courage.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2022, 06:08:20 PM »
Meh.  I respect his choice.

"Dad, I don't think I would ever be as good at football as I am at baseball and it looks awfully easy to get hurt. "

He is a 5'9, 145 lb sophomore now, still loving baseball, band, and golf.   He is just fine.

tower912

• All American

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2022, 06:40:43 PM »
Cudahy HS (Milwaukee suburb) just cancelled the remainder of their season. Too many injuries/not enough players.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2022, 06:44:57 PM »
Cudahy HS (Milwaukee suburb) just cancelled the remainder of their season. Too many injuries/not enough players.

That’s remarkable.  They had a stretch where they were a powerhouse.  John Navarre was from there and he played QB at Michigan and had a cup of tea in the NFL
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2022, 09:36:26 PM »
Waukesha South just canceled their remaining football games due to having too many players injured.  I feel bad for the players and it's homecoming for them this weekend also.

tower912

• All American

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2022, 05:21:13 PM »
https://www.mlive.com/highschoolsports/2022/09/school-of-1400-students-cancels-remainder-of-football-season-due-to-numbers-woes.html

That’s my nephew’s HS. Upper middle class school, lots of foreign cars in the student parking lot. Lacrosse is big there (state quarters), taking kids from football (my nephew among them). My HS in a rural, working class town, is going strong in football. It means more in towns like that. It’s kind of reviled in wealthier places like Okemos (which changed its mascot to Wolves from Chiefs last spring too).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 05:31:16 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2022, 09:02:26 PM »
That’s my nephew’s HS. Upper middle class school, lots of foreign cars in the student parking lot. Lacrosse is big there (state quarters), taking kids from football (my nephew among them). My HS in a rural, working class town, is going strong in football. It means more in towns like that. It’s kind of reviled in wealthier places like Okemos (which changed its mascot to Wolves from Chiefs last spring too).
Impressive that you managed to get so many talking points into one paragraph.

Well done, Jr.!
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2022, 09:57:19 PM »
Two teams that had games canceled due to their opponents not having enough healthy players are now playing each other Friday night.  Greenfield was supposed to play Cudahy and Waukesha North was supposed to play Waukesha South.  Greenfield is traveling to Waukesha North on Friday to play them now.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2022, 06:24:07 AM »

Broooo.

None of that has to do with why there are less kids playing football.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2022, 09:21:14 AM »

Not sure about what's happening where you are, but in Illinois, many of the top high school football programs reside upper and upper-middle class communities.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2022, 09:51:12 AM »
Not sure about what's happening where you are, but in Illinois, many of the top high school football programs reside upper and upper-middle class communities.

Same in Wisconsin, at least SE Wisconsin and Madison area
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2022, 09:52:54 AM »
Yep. Indiana's most successful are in the wealthy areas (Carmel, Center Grove), or Catholic Schools which recruit.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2022, 10:08:33 AM »
My street is lined with signs in yards… “#XX on the football team”

Kind of weird. No signs in Dawson Garcia’s yard though.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2022, 10:17:26 AM »
Chicos lied?  Weird.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2022, 10:33:58 AM »
Same in Wisconsin, at least SE Wisconsin and Madison area

Yea, looking at WI football, some of the most successful programs in the bigger divisions over the last 20 odd years have been Homestead, Arrowhead, the Brookfields, Waunakee, and Franklin.  All affluent suburbs, especially the first 4.  Not exactly reviled there.