[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cancelling high school football  (Read 5743 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Cancelling high school football
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2022, 10:44:03 AM »
Yea, looking at WI football, some of the most successful programs in the bigger divisions over the last 20 odd years have been Homestead, Arrowhead, the Brookfields, Waunakee, and Franklin.  All affluent suburbs, especially the first 4.  Not exactly reviled there.

Is participation down?  Yeah, I think so.  Do I think other sports like LaCrosse are stealing kids?  Sure.  But affluent areas aren’t shying away from football in all of those areas.  It’s probably anecdotal depending on the area
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2022, 10:49:52 AM »
Before everyone runs to soccer, please understand that it is not injury free either.

My son played football through his freshman year in high school. Worst injury was a modestly sprained ankle. He was a running back and defensive back who as he got older took a lot of hits. By the time he finished his freshman year, he was small and he saw the creatures on the other side of the line of scrimmage and said, "no!"

My daughter played soccer through grade school, high school, college and afterward. She was and is an injury waiting to happen. Two concussions, a badly injured ankle requiring surgery, injured knees, sprained wrists and assorted back sprains and I'm convinced soccer may be more dangerous than football. My daughter throws her heart and soul into her play and is fearless.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2022, 11:04:15 AM »

Broooo.

None of that has to do with why there are less kids playing football.

Helicopter parents not wanting their kids to get hurt because of all of the info about CTE and the like? It’s the primary reason fewer kids are playing, especially when there are options like soccer and lacrosse.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2022, 11:06:40 AM »
Helicopter parents not wanting their kids to get hurt because of all of the info about CTE and the like? It’s the primary reason fewer kids are playing, especially when there are options like soccer and lacrosse.

Go run that diesel chugging pickup truck of yours Cheeks.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2022, 11:33:57 AM »
Before everyone runs to soccer, please understand that it is not injury free either.

My son played football through his freshman year in high school. Worst injury was a modestly sprained ankle. He was a running back and defensive back who as he got older took a lot of hits. By the time he finished his freshman year, he was small and he saw the creatures on the other side of the line of scrimmage and said, "no!"

My daughter played soccer through grade school, high school, college and afterward. She was and is an injury waiting to happen. Two concussions, a badly injured ankle requiring surgery, injured knees, sprained wrists and assorted back sprains and I'm convinced soccer may be more dangerous than football. My daughter throws her heart and soul into her play and is fearless.

I remember seeing something on TV a few years ago about how teen girls are especially vulnerable to concussions while playing soccer. It was a fairly long segment-not a quick story. I do not remember the physiology of it, but they are much more at risk than boys. Some who suffered concussions have what will probably be life long problems as a result.   
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2022, 11:36:52 AM »

I don't think anyone disagrees that worries about head trauma and other injuries have played a big role in declining participation.
The pushback is against your implications that those rich kids with their fancy foreign cars (Kias and Nissans, I presume) just don't want to play football no more and their communities revile the sport.
Reality, at least where I and others here live, says otherwise.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2022, 12:01:44 PM »

Assuming that "helicopter parents," to you, is a negative thing (it is to me, too) ... I guess I'm wondering why you think only helicopter parents want to keep their kids out of a sport that can damage their brains and/or bodies for life? You don't think lots of regular, everyday, non-helicopter parents prefer that their kids avoid football? Several Scoopers have said they don't want their kids playing football; are they all "helicopter parents"?

And BTW ... nets to protect fans (and to protect teams from lawsuits) haven't ruined baseball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2022, 12:09:19 PM »
Parents should be making decisions about their kids health (head injuries).

Professional players KNOW the risk of head injuries and have made the decision that the risk is worth it to set up their families financial futures. That is not a decision for kids to make.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2022, 12:19:50 PM »
Maybe people are just wising up to the reality that football is 15 minutes of action wrapped into 4 hours of broadcast.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2022, 12:43:35 PM »

Yeah, but then just say that.  Because we all agree on that.

The bit you posted was not related.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2022, 01:51:29 PM »
Maybe people are just wising up to the reality that football is 15 minutes of action wrapped into 4 hours of broadcast.

Hey, that's college football.

NFL football is 15 minutes of action wrapped into 3 hours of broadcast!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2022, 04:46:02 PM »

75 of the 100 most watched programs last year were NFL games, including 28 of the top 30.
Seven others were college football games.
Seems like there are still a few suckers out there.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2022, 05:13:37 PM »
75 of the 100 most watched programs last year were NFL games, including 28 of the top 30.

Yeah.  And how many minutes of actual activity is there in baseball or golf?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2022, 05:24:34 PM »
Yeah.  And how many minutes of actual activity is there in baseball or golf?

For me?  A lot in golf

tower912

• All American
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2022, 05:47:37 PM »
Is walking part of golf?  If so, frequently 100% for me.  Bit if I only make 75 swings/putts in 150 minutes....

From the time I get over the ball to start my process until the time it stops moving is probably 12 minutes per round.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2022, 05:59:39 PM »
Is walking part of golf?  If so, frequently 100% for me.  Bit if I only make 75 swings/putts in 150 minutes....

From the time I get over the ball to start my process until the time it stops moving is probably 12 minutes per round.

I like to take 12-15 practice swings and line myself up correctly at least three times before swinging

tower912

• All American
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2022, 06:21:16 PM »
I've played behind you.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2022, 06:24:04 PM »
I've played behind you.

I’m playing for shop credit

tower912

• All American
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2022, 06:33:03 PM »
I admire the guy plumb-bobbing his third putt for an eight.  Don't give up, buddy.  And when you miss, and you will, mark yourself down for a 6.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2022, 06:50:05 PM »
I admire the guy plumb-bobbing his third putt for an eight.  Don't give up, buddy.  And when you miss, and you will, mark yourself down for a 6.

Worse than that, he marks his ball each time he misses

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2022, 06:57:16 PM »
I like to take 12-15 practice swings and line myself up correctly at least three times before swinging

Sergio?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2022, 07:11:47 PM »

I wasn't actually suggesting that this was the reason for declining football numbers.  Just taking a shot at football for shiggles
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2022, 08:26:52 PM »

You never take a practice swing or a practice putt? I play fast, but….

tower912

• All American
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2022, 08:40:06 PM »
When I am playing WELL, not many.    On the tee, usually only if I am going to try to draw the ball.    Out of the fairway, only if I have an uneven lie.     On a straightforward chip, no.    If it is one where I am going to have to bounce it through the fringe a couple of times to have it trickle out and fall to the hole, I will take a couple.     If I am going to try a flop shot or hit a ball out of the rough, I will swing to feel the thickness of the grass.    Putting, if it is a relatively straightforward putt, no, I will pick my line and go.     If there is a ton of slope, I will take a couple practice putts to feel the pace.   
If I develop a glitch, I have a couple of practice swing thoughts that I use to get my driver swing back.     I have fought my irons this year.   On days where I am really fighting it, I will take a practice swing, usually in a way that focuses on tempo.   

I think today I probably took 15 practice swings tee to green.     Probably 3-4 around the green.   3-4 on the green.    But it is my home course and I was playing well.   

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2022, 07:35:00 AM »
Yeah, but then just say that.  Because we all agree on that.

The bit you posted was not related.

It feels like Billy was trying to be real clever and make multiple points simultaneously, but somehow managed to make none of them successfully.

Truly a Chicosesque effort.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback