[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP Queen Elizabeth  (Read 4334 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: RIP Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2022, 03:21:47 PM »
I don't think she was a big fan of American leadership for quite some time brother dgies.  And yes, Chuckle is a British Fredo in comparison.  She probably had tremendous anxiety over the last few years about a number of things going on in the world.  I thought she'd live to 103. 

Charles is Fredo compared to who? The Queen?

Charles is going to be fine - because the job is almost entirely symbolic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2022, 03:30:31 PM »

Agreed.  I think Elizabeth guided the UK through a lot and was a symbol of strength and unity to them in some trying times in a way that Charles would struggle to...but that is far in the past and nothing he would be asked to do now would remotely compare

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2022, 03:36:16 PM »
Will Meghan Markle be invited to the funeral?

Since Wallis Simpson, the most detested person of the royal family at the time, attended the funeral of the Queens's father I would imagine Meghan attending the Queen's funeral unless she herself decides no to. Not sure how well that would sit with Harry though.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2022, 03:37:51 PM »
Agreed.  I think Elizabeth guided the UK through a lot and was a symbol of strength and unity to them in some trying times in a way that Charles would struggle to...but that is far in the past and nothing he would be asked to do now would remotely compare

Job is just covering for and paying off victims of the family and powerful these days

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2022, 04:10:14 PM »
The Queen did a great job over the years. Not talking about the Pomp and Circumstance. Rather, the behind the scenes measured leadership . As head of state of so many nations, she was sought after by prime ministers for her counsel and judgement of the important matters of the day.

Obviously her family was a train wreck, but that doesn't diminish her achievements .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2022, 04:13:29 PM »

No, it's not. 

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2022, 04:36:12 PM »
I don't think she was a big fan of American leadership for quite some time brother dgies.  And yes, Chuckle is a British Fredo in comparison.  She probably had tremendous anxiety over the last few years about a number of things going on in the world.  I thought she'd live to 103.

I honestly don't know if this is some type of elaborate Scoop performance art or not.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2022, 05:22:28 PM »
No, it's not. 

???  What legal authority does the queen/king have?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2022, 05:27:19 PM »
William Manchester says that for our parents 'generation 4 events stand apart :Pearl Harbor, the death of FDR, the election of 1948 and the JFK assassination. For me as a boomer I guess it would be the three assassinations and the night they announced that the Vietnam war was over. But the queen's death is a biggie.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2022, 05:40:20 PM »
William Manchester says that for our parents 'generation 4 events stand apart :Pearl Harbor, the death of FDR, the election of 1948 and the JFK assassination. For me as a boomer I guess it would be the three assassinations and the night they announced that the Vietnam war was over. But the queen's death is a biggie.

I mean...9/11.

But his won't even register in my top 20 when all is said and done.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2022, 05:46:36 PM »
Agreed.   To me, this is nearly a non-event.    I understand Britain needs to go through their grieving and mourning.    I respect that and leave them to it.     She wasn't my queen.    She was 96.     She had a full and glorious life.   This isn't a tragedy or someone taken from us too soon.    This is just an inevitable step in the circle of life.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2022, 05:51:51 PM »

But to Fluffy she's essentially just symbolic like other monarchs because she had "no legal authority"  And even if you think she was essentially symbolic, there are levels and nuances to the significance of any figurehead.  Also, Manchester should have clearly consulted Fluffy before he rendered his opinion on watershed events.   Btw his Churchill biographies are the absolute best. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2022, 05:53:52 PM »
Agreed.   To me, this is nearly a non-event.    I understand Britain needs to go through their grieving and mourning.    I respect that and leave them to it.     She wasn't my queen.    She was 96.     She had a full and glorious life.   This isn't a tragedy or someone taken from us too soon.    This is just an inevitable step in the circle of life.

With all due respect I think you are completely underestimating her influence and importance.  Especially in the UK.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2022, 05:53:53 PM »
But to Fluffy she's essentially just symbolic like other monarchs because she had "no legal authority"  And even if you think she was essentially symbolic, there are levels and nuances to the significance of any figurehead.  Also, Manchester should have clearly consulted Fluffy before he rendered his opinion on watershed events.   Btw his Churchill biographies are the absolute best. 

Entirely symbolic. Sorry you can’t grasp that.

But symbols can be important.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 05:59:19 PM by Sultan Sultanberger »

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2022, 06:05:51 PM »
I mean...9/11.

But his won't even register in my top 20 when all is said and done.

Forgot about 9/11. As a New Yorker I've really put it out of my mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2022, 06:10:09 PM »
With all due respect I think you are completely underestimating her influence and importance.  Especially in the UK.
With all due respect, I am rarely heartbroken over the death of nonagenarians.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2022, 06:10:54 PM »

Ya....that's the whole point.  No one will give a sht comparatively when Boris Johnson, Cameron, abd Blair pass away.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2022, 06:25:32 PM »
Ya....that's the whole point.  No one will give a sht comparatively when Boris Johnson, Cameron, abd Blair pass away.

Lol. So I say it’s symbolic. You disagree. Now you’re saying she’s an important symbol. 🙄🙄🙄

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2022, 06:32:23 PM »
Lol. So I say it’s symbolic. You disagree. Now you’re saying she’s an important symbol. 🙄🙄🙄

I'm saying that yes she was symbolic but had much more significance. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2022, 06:50:26 PM »
I'm saying that yes she was symbolic but had much more significance. 

So when I said this...

Why did you reply "no it's not?"

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2022, 06:53:22 PM »
The Queen did a great job over the years. Not talking about the Pomp and Circumstance. Rather, the behind the scenes measured leadership . As head of state of so many nations, she was sought after by prime ministers for her counsel and judgement of the important matters of the day.

Obviously her family was a train wreck, but that doesn't diminish her achievements .

I think not being the hands on mom was her greatest regret. I think it is a lot tougher to be queen and a devoted mom then king and a devoted dad. Her devotion to the crown always took precedent over her duty to her family. I can't imagine being a child, teenager and young adult and have to schedule an appointment to see my mother.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2022, 07:05:26 PM »

True and true.

And because symbols can be important, I’m not so sure “Charles will be fine”. Unlike his Mum, he’s a total goofball. The monarchy will be “fine” again (to the extent it matters) when William takes over.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2022, 09:02:55 PM »
Will Meghan Markle be invited to the funeral?

Considering the number of cameras and reporters that will be there wild horses couldn’t keep her away.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2022, 09:23:40 PM »
Prince Andrew
Princess Diana
Markle

I'd guess the Queen had a lot on her mind

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2022, 06:26:01 AM »
Considering the number of cameras and reporters that will be there wild horses couldn’t keep her away.

I gather you’re not a fan?